Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 18:03   #1621
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Came across this paper clipping dating to August 2005.

Standard cars in India-000.jpg

It offers some amateur advice on owning and maintaining an older car, and shows a proud owner with his Standard Herald. Unfortunately he apparently couldn't keep the car too well too long, as I had spotted it in Chor Bazaar a couple of years back. Pics were even on the forum. Wonder if the car was scrapped or saved - highly unlikely looking at the corrosion

Standard cars in India-06.jpg

Standard cars in India-07.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 18:21   #1622
Senior - BHPian

An ad for a Herald showing off its features. Only fools bought Ambys and Fiats
Let Stanher comment on this.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 15:17   #1623
BHPian

The picture of the grey and white herald posted by travancore is that of my car. It is a triumph herald 1250. I wonder what is there to review this car.
Old 17th November 2013, 16:44   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
The picture of the grey and white herald posted by travancore is that of my car. It is a triumph herald 1250. I wonder what is there to review this car.
Ananth Sir,

I think Travancore, used the term "review" to mean, if any one had posted details about this car in the TBHP threads, and I believe the usage was in a very positive sense.

When you see a beutiful car its only natural that "petrolheads" are usually curious about it and would love to see the detailed photos etc, if they can't see it in original. A lot of us would love to see detailed pictures of not only this car but also the other cars in your collection.

I am going to barge on you one of these days when I am in Chennai and I am pestering a mutual friend - Ejji - to do the honours of an intro.

All the best for the on going tournament and hope to see a repeat from the previous tournament !!!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 19:08   #1625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ananth Sir,

I think Travancore, used the term "review" to mean, if any one had posted details about this car in the TBHP threads, and I believe the usage was in a very positive sense.

Ram
So rightly said, Ram; and thanks!

Nothing but unadulterated admiration for your beautiful car, Mr. Anand!

Last edited by travancore : 17th November 2013 at 19:10.
Old 17th November 2013, 22:43   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
An ad for a Herald showing off its features. Only fools bought Ambys and Fiats
Let Stanher comment on this.
Wow, really well-preserved indeed! Looks just the same info. as was given in the sales brochures that I've seen copies of.
Incidentally, they missed out the "collapsible steering column" feature that was featured in the UK ads!

Harit could I have a photocopy (nee Xerox) of this ad

Last edited by Stanher : 17th November 2013 at 22:47.
Old 18th November 2013, 03:41   #1627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Find below link to know the exact shade & its formulation. This would be very helpful in case of re-finishing your car.
http://pc.dupont.com/hcl/servlet/com...arType=Triumph
Something currently on EBay for Triumph / Herald lovers, in case someone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-STANDA...item1c38d36e48

Standard cars in India-triumph-color1.jpg

Standard cars in India-triumph-color2.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STANDARD-TRI...item51b524ccae

Standard cars in India-triumph-color3.jpg
Standard cars in India-triumph-color4.jpg

And here is a Canadian ad that talks about telescopic steering!

Standard cars in India-triumph-adv.jpg

and in real life, it works!

Standard cars in India-triumph-steering.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 18th November 2013 at 03:59.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:18   #1628
Distinguished - BHPian

A mk1 Standard Herald spotted by one of our team bhpians Prasad Iyer (R32GTR? on the forum) on his vacation and birthday today at Pondicherry.

Though the car has been modded up, I would say it seems atleast far more refined than some of its modded cousins in India! Kind of in a Cuban-American car sort of way.

Standard cars in India-herpondy.jpg
Stanher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 12:19   #1629
BHPian

Wire wheels were standard accessories for Heralds in the UK. Thus, there is nothing unoriginal about this car.
Old 27th November 2013, 14:28   #1630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wire wheels were standard accessories for Heralds in the UK. Thus, there is nothing unoriginal about this car.
Sir, its not just about the whire-wheels; there is much original stuff missing on this car if you notice- side trims, badges, door handles (that looks like a Fiat one) and I'm sure the interior also would have been modified viz. the dash and maybe even steering wheel etc.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 09:11   #1631
BHPian

Was looking through some old family pics and got these.

The first is my sister in front of a Herald we owned for a brief period some time around 1985.

Name:  Herald.png
Views: 1463
Size:  227.4 KB

The second is the Standard 20 we had new since 84. This picture was taken sometime around 1985 as well. We had the van till 1996 when it was scrapped. I still have the wiper motor.

Name:  Standard 20.png
Views: 1555
Size:  347.0 KB

That's me as a toddler carrying a mug for washing the van .
josejoseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:39   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A mk1 Standard Herald spotted by one of our team bhpians Prasad Iyer (R32GTR? on the forum) on his vacation and birthday today at Pondicherry.

Though the car has been modded up, I would say it seems atleast far more refined than some of its modded cousins in India! Kind of in a Cuban-American car sort of way.

Attachment 1171638
Quote:
Sir, its not just about the whire-wheels; there is much original stuff missing on this car if you notice- side trims, badges, door handles (that looks like a Fiat one) and I'm sure the interior also would have been modified viz. the dash and maybe even steering wheel etc.
Quote:
Lots of original stuff missing for sure.
The interior was completely redone with aftermarket parts (steering wheel, bucket seats from another car etc).
The fuel filler cap seemed to be relocated and the original inlet was left open.
The roof seemed to be welded on to the body as well in a few places and so were the front quarter glasses that could no longer be opened - I guess this was in lieu of the after market air-conditioning / cooler unit that seemed to be fitted.
The tail lights looked like Chinese knock offs - nothing like I've ever seen before.
If there was one thing I would take away from this car, It would have to be the wire wheels!
Old 29th November 2013, 14:14   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Was looking through some old family pics and got these.

The first is my sister in front of a Herald we owned for a brief period some time around 1985.

The second is the Standard 20 we had new since 84. This picture was taken sometime around 1985 as well. We had the van till 1996 when it was scrapped. I still have the wiper motor.
Nice! 'wish the Herald was fully visible though- greedy me!

Do you remember what model it was? I partly see the "herald" roof badge on the C-pillar so it has to be a mk1?

The Standard 20 'micro' (as the later ones were called) was such a common sight in the South until a decade ago! Now all gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Lots of original stuff missing for sure.
The interior was completely redone with aftermarket parts (steering wheel, bucket seats from another car etc).
The tail lights looked like Chinese knock offs - nothing like I've ever seen before.
Do you know if the original engine was intact? I wouldnt be surprised if it had been changed for a more 'economical' one, though the car doesnt look like a regular runner, so doubtful.

I'm assuming that the owner made all these mods because the car must have lacked originality when he got it itself, and didnt have access to original spares in the place where he lives (not that you would in other parts of India for that matter now!)
I could help with the tail-lights if he were open to it!
Old 29th November 2013, 15:43   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know if the original engine was intact? I wouldnt be surprised if it had been changed for a more 'economical' one, though the car doesnt look like a regular runner, so doubtful.

I'm assuming that the owner made all these mods because the car must have lacked originality when he got it itself, and didnt have access to original spares in the place where he lives (not that you would in other parts of India for that matter now!)
I could help with the tail-lights if he were open to it!
I seriously have my doubts if the original engine is intact and could be replaced with an economical option.
Don't think he's worried about maintaining the originality of the car - The paintjob speaks for itself!
Old 25th December 2013, 23:31   #1635
Distinguished - BHPian

A mk1 Herald put up on display in a Memorial at Vijaya Health Center, Madras. Looks complete but for the tyres and hubcaps...and those door mirrors! ()

Door glass seems to have been stuck midway.

Standard cars in India-herdis.jpg

Source:

http://sankriti.blogspot.in/2012/02/...r-chennai.html

Last edited by Stanher : 25th December 2013 at 23:33.
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed