Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2007, 19:32   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The front grille is a curio, though I have seen another identical one fitted on a Companion in India as well as the UK, so IM not sure whether it is an original fitment.
Or I guess it was taken from a Companion itself, as the latter grille seems to be more sturdy, with more vertical bars to hold up the horizontal ones in place?

Anyways, guys I got a call from Behram bhai today......asked me to find out the price etc.....so when we did, I felt like a heavy load fell down my stomach- he wants 18k for the car (minus the papers in its present state) as he'd bought it for 14.5k & towing it cost him Rs.500 so he syas he wants 2-3k more than waht he bought it for & that he'd get the same amount even on scrapping it....!
Considering its present state & lack of papers I wouldnt think it worth picking it up at that price! What do yall say?
In the meantime, he had loaned out the car (alongwith 3 fiats he bought) for a film shooting...turns out they're shooting a garage scene so they needed such cars for today.......he said they should be back by 6pm this evening.

PS: stampro, thanks for the madurai car pic.! Looks immaculate barring the horn button which is a later aftermarket one....original one should be like the one on Karl's pennant (yes the one in my pic.! )

Last edited by Stanher : 5th November 2007 at 19:33.
Old 5th November 2007, 20:01   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Anyways, guys I got a call from Behram bhai today......asked me to find out the price etc.....so when we did, I felt like a heavy load fell down my stomach- he wants 18k for the car (minus the papers in its present state) as he'd bought it for 14.5k & towing it cost him Rs.500 so he syas he wants 2-3k more than waht he bought it for & that he'd get the same amount even on scrapping it....!
Considering its present state & lack of papers I wouldnt think it worth picking it up at that price! What do yall say?
IMO - Considering the fact that there aren't a million of these lying around the country..The price feels right to me!!

As long as there is someone needy..THE PRICE IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Or let it slip off to the scrapyard so they can use it to make coke cans and collectors like yourselves can feel bad about it later..
Old 5th November 2007, 20:55   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Behram, I hope you are on your way to Hyderabad already. The car wont last too long under current circumstances! Wish you all the best in your quest to buy the 10.
Old 5th November 2007, 21:07   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
IMO - Considering the fact that there aren't a million of these lying around the country..The price feels right to me!!

As long as there is someone needy..THE PRICE IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Or let it slip off to the scrapyard so they can use it to make coke cans and collectors like yourselves can feel bad about it later..
Well...good point mate!
Lets hope Behram thinks the same as he's the one enquring bout the car...!
Of course, to make an honest confession I guess even I would've been tempted into picking up the car, hell with the price, IF IT ATLEAST HAD THE PAPERS INTACT!

Because I'm sure most of us know how difficult (or even impossible?) it is to procure the documents for such cars once lost...and it looks like a long time since this car's regn. was last renewed so the RTO must've even erased the records by now so cant even approach them......plus driving without the RC within the city would risk you getting caught during a polcie check & your car would simply be seized & impounded!
The same reason why we still have my dad's old Standard Gazel sitting at home with us, so I know how the situation would be in case of anyone who buys this car too.
I'm still hoping the owners can procure the papers in the next few days! Let's see.....!

Incidentally I now regret having missed out on a far better (atleast bodily/cosmetically) pennant that was for sale in Bombay a coupla years ago....got to know this through Karl....I managed to get it real cheap & was finding out bout the charges for transporting it (it wasnt running & had work on the head so thought of getting it to Pune & have karl help me fix it up from where I could drive it down to AP) when the owner told us within 24 hrs that he'd sold it off for scrap!
Karl however later confirmed that the car still exists (albeit lying idle) with a well-known collector.
I'd even seen an earlier pic. of said car (then in its original Black paint) in a thread in this forum itself...
Old 5th November 2007, 22:53   #155
Senior - BHPian

stanher i feel the car is worth the price with or without the papers. if the papers are lost we can get a new set made with a letter from the owner. the other option is to get the car regesistered in bombay if Mr Behram does consider buying it.
Behram uncle if there is hesitation to buy the car due to papers, then rest assured i shall get them made for you.
stanher you can get your gazel re registered or even if you do approach the RTO they would have records of the car. they charge a little extra for it. i have had it done for one of my cars in bombay. so i know it is possible. my car papers were lost by the owner
sorry to hear that you lost out on a pennant in far better condition. i wonder why the owner said he scrapped the car if he sold it to the collector. i think it could also have happened that the collector picked up the car from the scrapper. i think i have a rough idea of the collector Karl refers to. will check.
Old 5th November 2007, 23:49   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
stanher you can get your gazel re registered or even if you do approach the RTO they would have records of the car. they charge a little extra for it. i have had it done for one of my cars in bombay. so i know it is possible. my car papers were lost by the owner
Speedy: Reg. the gazel...nope, I myself went to the local RTO & checked with them....they verified it then & there & told me that the records for the Gazel (going by the no.) didnt exist anymore. :(
So happens that my dad had misplaced the papers more than 10 years ago when he'd stopped using the car once he got a new Maruti (sounds too familiar doesnt it?!)....had made quite a few attempts a few years later onwards to get new papers but to no avail...!

Atleast if my dad had xerox copies of the same we could've got a re-registration made.

I'll have the scrapguy find out if the owners atleast have xerox copies of the papers of the pennant...keeping my fingers crossed!
Unfortunately behram told me he cant access the forum as of now from work so I emailed him the pics...lets see what he decides.....he said he'd be free after Friday if he has to travel here.

Thanks for your support btw!

Last edited by Stanher : 5th November 2007 at 23:51.
Old 6th November 2007, 01:40   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speedy: Reg. the gazel...nope, I myself went to the local RTO & checked with them....they verified it then & there & told me that the records for the Gazel (going by the no.) didnt exist anymore. :(

I'll have the scrapguy find out if the owners atleast have xerox copies of the papers of the pennant...keeping my fingers crossed!
Unfortunately behram told me he cant access the forum as of now from work so I emailed him the pics...lets see what he decides.....he said he'd be free after Friday if he has to travel here.

Thanks for your support btw!
if the car was registered in your fathers name then a letter would do from his end. since the records do not exist in the RTO it is not your fault you can ask them to reregister the car. even without the xerox it can be done. when i said my car papers were lost i did not have a letter or xerox as the owner of the car did not have it and i bought it from a garage guy. further i shall pm you.
Behram uncle was online today saw his post in the fiat section. he is in Nasik and was told he would return in a weeks time. yeah hope the owner of the pennant has the xerox atleast.

dont understand why you thanking me .
Old 6th November 2007, 03:12   #158

dad will be back on friday mostly....will decide then wether to surely go to hyd...its been long since we have been there anyways...i can even buy a couple of more model cars from some mall there...hehehehe...hope dad doesnt read this....
Old 6th November 2007, 07:12   #159
BHPian

Quote:
PS: stampro, thanks for the madurai car pic.! Looks immaculate barring the horn button which is a later aftermarket one....original one should be like the one on Karl's pennant (yes the one in my pic.! )
The car looks new even today when it goes around the city.
It belongs to the erstwhile Standard car dealer who has interesting stories on the various models and those golden days.

Someday I hope to bring him into this forum to share memories.
Old 6th November 2007, 09:03   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
if the car was registered in your fathers name then a letter would do from his end.
True but unfortunately he is no more. But I've approached several RTO agents & they've all told me only one thing- that atleast if there was a xerox of the RC (which unfortunately never occured to my dad when we had the book!)

Quote:
when i said my car papers were lost i did not have a letter or xerox as the owner of the car did not have it and i bought it from a garage guy.
Did the owner give a declaration on a bond paper or somthing in that case? Also for this I assume some greasing of palms was also required?? :P

Quote:
dont understand why you thanking me .
Hehehe....
Old 6th November 2007, 09:17   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
dad will be back on friday mostly....will decide then wether to surely go to hyd...its been long since we have been there anyways...i can even buy a couple of more model cars from some mall there...hehehehe...hope dad doesnt read this....
Cyrus, I've emailed the pics. of the car to your dad...he shuould be able to view them today....any good news on the papers I'll let you know....

Stampro: Interesting to know bout the owner of the pennant! Yes please do get him here!!
Old 6th November 2007, 11:40   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True but unfortunately he is no more. But I've approached several RTO agents & they've all told me only one thing- that atleast if there was a xerox of the RC (which unfortunately never occured to my dad when we had the book!)

Did the owner give a declaration on a bond paper or somthing in that case? Also for this I assume some greasing of palms was also required?? :P
sorry to hear about your Father. the papers like i said were lost and there was no letter provided from the owner. you could provide a letter stateing the demise of your father and you being the next in kin. proof of being the son and i think it should do. have sent you a PM of the same.
Old 7th November 2007, 05:28   #163
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;618079]they've all told me only one thing- that atleast if there was a xerox of the RC

You can check with your insurance co.
We at Madurai give RC book copy, every renewal, year after year to the insurance co.
If the same is followed at hyd they should be kind enough to give you a copy from their files.

For that you may have to find with which ins company and branch your car was insured.
Old 7th November 2007, 09:54   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
You can check with your insurance co.
We at Madurai give RC book copy, every renewal, year after year to the insurance co.
If the same is followed at hyd they should be kind enough to give you a copy from their files.

For that you may have to find with which ins company and branch your car was insured.
Thanks for that tip! Yes I do have a couple of old insurance papers of the ca in my father's name.....never occured to me to go ask them!
I'll try doing that one day.

As for the pennant, no sign of it all of yesterday...he said it was yet to come back from the film shooting.....all the other cars (fiats) of his were brought back......& not in a very good state (all covered with mud & roofs/bonnets caved in! One car even had the driver's door fully ripped off! )......I'm just hoping nothing happened to the pennant! Lets see, will be going there again today.
Old 7th November 2007, 09:58   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As for the pennant, no sign of it all of yesterday...he said it was yet to come back from the film shooting.....all the other cars (fiats) of his were brought back......& not in a very good state (all covered with mud & roofs/bonnets caved in! One car even had the driver's door fully ripped off! )......I'm just hoping nothing happened to the pennant! Lets see, will be going there again today.
Sigh...we know what happened the last time someone used a non running Pennant for a movie shoot.
Before-

After-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks