Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 00:30   #1741
BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
In Indian version 1968 Model MK 2 the Parking Light Lense (Thimble) was Clear. Indicator Lense (Middle one) was Amber and HL was clear. As in MDN 7044 pic below whilst it was "blue"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Regarding the lens colours, I'm sure we'll get to hear something from thebulletboy soon. He's really working at sorting this thing out.
Ram has confirmed that 1968 Mk2's sported clear thimble lenses.
Shwetank's Mk2 (which he has confirmed is a 1966 i.e one of the early Mk2 models) sports an Amber thimble lens.
This is consistent with the hypothesis that early Mk2s had Amber thimble lens (i.e UK spec lenses).

Of course, a few more pictures or brochures of 1966/67 Mk2s would confirm or refute this hypothesis.

Aesthetically speaking, I personally prefer the lens colour combination on Shwetank's Mk2.
The other combination i.e Clear thimble and Amber L691, looks a little jarring to me.

Perhaps many will disagree with me, but I feel that aesthetics is something that Standard, India progressively failed at, in the later models.
Anyhow, aesthetics is a very touchy and subjective topic.

Here's an Mk2 (MEQ 9001) that we had in the family, back in the day.
Picture taken atop Chamundi Hills, Mysore, with me as the bonnet mascot!

Strangely enough, she seems to sport the later Fiat / Premier front lamp assemblies? An aftermarket mod, perhaps?

Standard cars in India-herald2.jpg
thebulletboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:03   #1742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Here's an Mk2 (MEQ 9001) that we had in the family, back in the day. Picture taken atop Chamundi Hills, Mysore, with me as the bonnet mascot!

Strangely enough, she seems to sport the later Fiat / Premier front lamp assemblies? An aftermarket mod, perhaps?
Thanks for sharing. It seems to be a very early Mk 2, with the thin C pillar and roof badges. We had a similar one in the 80s. It should probably have had the boot lid with a recess - and yes, looked much better than the later flat boot lid cars.

Yup, it was a fairly common fitting.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:49   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indian Mark 1 did not have any thimble light at all. The Rectangular Clear had a double filament bulb, one PL and other being the Flasher
Actually Ram I think that the earliest Mark 1s (with the large Smiths meter) had a larger park light with two separate bulbs and holders, and concealed was this thimble lens. These models were offered in two tone as well.

Standard cars in India-manual.jpg

Quote:
India also started with indicator being amber long ago, in the rear side. If I am not mistaken it was mandatory. Incidentally Standard Herald MK 2 was I think was the 1st Indian production to come out with Amber Front Indicator, to the best of my knowledge
Wow, never noticed that till you pointed it out. Thanks!
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:48   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Actually Ram I think that the earliest Mark 1s (with the large Smiths meter) had a larger park light with two separate bulbs and holders, and concealed was this thimble lens. These models were offered in two tone as well.
The earlier Heralds came with a Jaeger cluster too. Infact, I remember very distinctly having seen one cluster with a white dial too, pictures of which I'll post no sooner I'm able to locate it.

Standard cars in India-dsc_0125.jpg

Subject to correction (although I don't think I'm mistaken), the Mk1 had a single bulb (a 1016 or 1176) for the side light unit, similar to the Premier Padmini. Triumph, I believe, had two separate bulbs with an amber thimble lens. I remember having imported a similar unit for an Austin Westminster I restored some time back.
Shwetank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:49   #1745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The earlier Heralds came with a Jaeger cluster too. Infact, I remember very distinctly having seen one cluster with a white dial too, pictures of which I'll post no sooner I'm able to locate it.
Correct, I mentioned Smith but they were British Jaeger. I think there was a connection between both brands later.

Quote:
Subject to correction (although I don't think I'm mistaken), the Mk1 had a single bulb (a 1016 or 1176) for the side light unit, similar to the Premier Padmini. Triumph, I believe, had two separate bulbs with an amber thimble lens. I remember having imported a similar unit for an Austin Westminster I restored some time back.
The earliest Mark 1 (with the larger Jaeger meter and two tone colour) were offered with the larger peaked parking lamps also seen on Triumph Heralds. These were from introduction (around 1961?) to around 1962. Attached is my grandfather posing proudly with his Herald in Madras. Then in 1963 (ish) came the first set of changes, which included a wood finish dash, smaller Yenkay meter and smaller flat parking lamps.

Standard cars in India-01.jpg

Standard cars in India-front02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:34   #1746

Quote:
Correct, I mentioned Smith but they were British Jaeger. I think there was a connection between both brands later.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images.../I%20agree.gif

The earliest Mark 1 (with the larger Jaeger meter and two tone colour) were offered with the larger peaked parking lamps also seen on Triumph Heralds. These were from introduction (around 1961?) to around 1962. Attached is my grandfather posing proudly with his Herald in Madras. Then in 1963 (ish) came the first set of changes, which included a wood finish dash, smaller Yenkay meter and smaller flat parking lamps.

Attachment 1276857

Attachment 1276858
I agree.These flat parking lamps resembled that of Premier Padminis,but unfortunately were of a smaller size ; so a swap was not possible.
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:25   #1747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Here's an Mk2 (MEQ 9001) that we had in the family, back in the day.
Picture taken atop Chamundi Hills, Mysore, with me as the bonnet mascot!
Nice pic. again! Anyone noticed btw, tis been raining mk2 pics. here lately?

Quote:
Obviously, yes!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 16:02   #1748
Distinguished - BHPian

For reference to original finishes, here is a 1961/62 Herald in the 1963 movie 'Phir wohi dil laya hoon'

We can see a white steering wheel, black finish under the entire bonnet, and trademark red and grey interiors

Standard cars in India-her02.jpg

Standard cars in India-her04.jpg
Old 5th September 2014, 18:41   #1749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For reference to original finishes, here is a 1961/62 Herald in the 1963 movie 'Phir wohi dil laya hoon'

We can see a white steering wheel, black finish under the entire bonnet, and trademark red and grey interiors
Correction- that's a GREY steering wheel! Typical of UK-made 948 Heralds.

Standard cars in India-phir.jpg

Standard cars in India-phir1.jpg
Old 10th September 2014, 11:20   #1750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have any reference images of what the light assemblies were like in the Mark 2 Heralds?
Quote:
The park lamp is White Plastic thing shaped like a thimble - It had three small knob like things place at 120 Deg intervals around it.
Quote:
Hi Karl!
These pictures of my car should put your confusion to rest.

The headlamps are followed by clear lens side lamps, then, amber lens turn indicators.
Quote:
Quite the contrary - I am much more confused now!

I have never seen clear lens parking lamps, I've only seen orange ones (on very original cars and older photos, so unlikely that they ALL were changed). Whenever possible can you share a more detailed image of the combination?
Quote:
In Indian version 1968 Model MK 2 the Parking Light Lense (Thimble) was Clear. Indicator Lense (Middle one) was Amber and HL was clear. As in MDN 7044 pic below whilst it was "blue"
Here is a shot of a Mark two light cluster in period. Still not as clear as I would have liked, but better than nothing.

Standard cars in India-0001.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:22   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a shot of a Mark two light cluster in period. Still not as clear as I would have liked, but better than nothing.

Attachment 1285354
The picture shows the correct MK II Front Light assembly. Unfortunately, I dont have any pictures of our old car.

Hows the resto coming up ? Did you get the top you were looking for ?

Best Regards & Drive safe

Ram
Old 10th September 2014, 12:46   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hows the resto coming up ? Did you get the top you were looking for?
Coming up well. I did get a roof, though very rusty, rough, and missing the side supports, so still looking for another one.
Old 10th September 2014, 22:18   #1753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And a full view of the same car in the pic. (sourced from ebay)
Thanks for sharing!

Note: Though this is taken in a wedding procession, going by the driver and also the new condition of the car, it could have possibly been a family car rather than a baraat one?

Standard cars in India-10697375_10152503870212670_8894383408077769306_o.jpg
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 02:32   #1754
BHPian

Got this picture from FB. Not sure if it's already posted and location is not India. Nevertheless, thought of posting here -

Standard cars in India-triumph.jpg
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 18:50   #1755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Got this picture from FB. Not sure if it's already posted and location is not India. Nevertheless, thought of posting here -

Attachment 1289371
This is one pic. with a Herald in it that has become so famous online...I can understand why!
Yes this is not India but Iran, much before the 1979 revolution. That is said to be the Caspian Sea in the background.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks