Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2007, 21:12   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Done! Thanks to you and Ram of course...Its a most interesting find.
Hey karl you actually bid for this?!!! Seriously?!

I never imagined you'd do that.....you always said you werent able to buy anything online......!

Anyways, this is real good news! Go for it!
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:11   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey karl you actually bid for this?!!! Seriously?!

I never imagined you'd do that.....you always said you werent able to buy anything online......!

Anyways, this is real good news! Go for it!

I dont have a paypal account, or $$$ to fill one
I asked a friend to do it on my behalf...
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:30   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I dont have a paypal account, or $$$ to fill one
I asked a friend to do it on my behalf...
I think you dont need one...its enough if you have a credit card.....anyways, you sure have some foul-weather friends!
Old 26th November 2007, 01:39   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Well guys, an update on the pennant: me & my mech. went down to the car yesterday & finally got to start it up taking my battery & some petrol....after cleaning up the distributor points, adjusting the timing a number of times & quite a few coaxing attempts the dormant engine fired up back to life after what wouldve been ages!

Here's a video I luckily managed to take of that phenomenal moment just uploaded on youtube:

She sounds strangely a lot like Herbie in this! But that maybe because the silencer pipe is split in the middle (Beetle fans no offence!)...coincidentally there also happened to be an old Kishore Kumar song playing nearby then.....but once the engine started, its note was sweet enough music to my ears atleast!
As my mechanic points out in the video, the water-pump is gone so that'll be the first thing to replace. Luckily I know there are a few new ones available here @ around Rs. 400 odd...
I also had him test the Jalwa horns....one of them sounds prerfectly allright.

Next on the agenda is to get the radiator serviced & then proceed with getting the front brakes working so the car could then atleast be pushed to & from a small servicing booth down the lane for a wash!
Old 27th November 2007, 01:29   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Stampro, just thought of asking you on looking at the pics. of this car again today- do you know if any spares of the pennant can be obtained at your local scrap dealers?? Like the rear windscreen glass, the bonnet monogram, front painted 'shelf' below the grille, with the vertical stripes (as seen in this pic.)? My pennant curiously doesnt have it.
Do reply asap. Thanks!
Old 27th November 2007, 07:12   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Stampro, just thought of asking you on looking at the pics. of this car again today- do you know if any spares of the pennant can be obtained at your local scrap dealers?? Like the rear windscreen glass, the bonnet monogram, front painted 'shelf' below the grille, with the vertical stripes (as seen in this pic.)? My pennant curiously doesnt have it.
Do reply asap. Thanks!
Congrats on buying the pennant.You have saved the car which deserves appreciation and an article in standardmotorclub (hope karl is listening).Apart from that you will enjoy the car for its compactness and reliability.

I have been scanning the seconds market here when you asked for the standard steering wheel but with no result.

The stan car owners here are sourcing from madras (chennai) where ultimately the scrap parts from the state are reaching.

If you give a specific list maybe i can try with my contacts.I am myself looking for a wheel cylinder.

It would be great if someone brings all the vintage classic car parts under one roof.
Old 16th February 2008, 09:17   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, a whole thread 'bout a Herald! 'never knew it'd existed until now!

Incidentally we'd lived in Bhubaneswar for 1 & 1/2 years but I dont recall seeing any Standard cars there (apart from our Gazel!)........good to see one still existing in Orissa.

Anyways, this is a mk1 Herald, all original except for the front grille (looks like its grafted from a mk3 amby)...

Mods- could this be merged with the Standard cars in India thread in the Vintage & classic cars section so discussions here could continue?
Old 16th February 2008, 17:03   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone interested in a Standard 10 Companion? Ive just been told of one for sale here @ 25k....with papers & all....roadworthy condition....
Old 17th February 2008, 11:42   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, a whole thread 'bout a Herald! 'never knew it'd existed until now!

Incidentally we'd lived in Bhubaneswar for 1 & 1/2 years but I dont recall seeing any Standard cars there (apart from our Gazel!)........good to see one still existing in Orissa.

Anyways, this is a mk1 Herald, all original except for the front grille (looks like its grafted from a mk3 amby)...

Mods- could this be merged with the Standard cars in India thread in the Vintage & classic cars section so discussions here could continue?
Which car is this one in Orissa?
Any photos?
Old 17th February 2008, 11:54   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone interested in a Standard 10 Companion? Ive just been told of one for sale here @ 25k....with papers & all....roadworthy condition....
Sorry I pinched this photo from another thread.

Std Companion does not have the charm of a Std Herald or Std Pennant or a Std 10.I am not planning to buy one,but for the benefit of others could you please give
Photo
Year
Number of owners
etc.
Old 17th February 2008, 13:02   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I pinched this photo from another thread.

Std Companion does not have the charm of a Std Herald or Std Pennant or a Std 10.
True...but nevertheless quite rare, and definitely worth being a classic.
Incidentally, looking at your avtaar I was under the impression that you liked it...?

Quote:
I am not planning to buy one,but for the benefit of others could you please give
Photo
Year
Number of owners
etc.
The year I'm told is 1958......so not sure if it had the Pennant type fornt end or the older 10 type...

The rest of the details I can give as & when I see the car.

Last edited by Stanher : 17th February 2008 at 13:04.
Old 18th February 2008, 07:22   #237
BHPian

Quote:
True...but nevertheless quite rare, and definitely worth being a classic.
Incidentally, looking at your avtaar I was under the impression that you liked it...?.

The year I'm told is 1958......so not sure if it had the Pennant type fornt end or the older 10 type...
1. My present avataaram is a STD PENNANT front end.
2. Std Comapanions were in production in India only for one year(1962).
1958 NO No. Maybe experts like Karl would come to my rescue.
Old 18th February 2008, 10:09   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. My present avataaram is a STD PENNANT front end.
Ohh sorry shouldve realised- the Madurai pennant! Do you have any more pics. (rear view etc.) of this car?

Quote:
2. Std Comapanions were in production in India only for one year(1962).
1958 NO No. Maybe experts like Karl would come to my rescue.
Hmm.....I'm told the car is coming today so once I get to look at the papers I could tell exactly....
Old 19th February 2008, 06:47   #239
BHPian

Quote:
the Madurai pennant! Do you have any more pics. (rear view etc.) of this car?
Have to get permission from the owner.
But it would look like a brand new Std Pennant in full black and chromium.You can see it almost everyday in town.As I wrote already he was the dealer for Std Cars then.
Old 1st March 2008, 01:08   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, no progress with the Companion I earlier mentioned so far.......he says he's going to get it soon....!

Anyways, 'just found the video of this old Tamil song I've listened to but always wanted to see (you could guess why! ):

Reason for posting the link of this song- if you watch closely, you can actually spot a Herald mk1 used as a black & yellow taxi! (at 04:17/04:18), parked beside a Companion taxi.

And of course in most parts of the song you can find the then popular Pennant taxis.

What astounded me is how anyone could think of using a 2-door Herald as a taxi! I was under the impression that the Herald was avoided as a taxi,, being a 2-door (atleast until the last few years of its Indian production), thus even the older 10s/Pennants being preferred over it. And now here I see one in use as a taxi!
It could not have been specially done up for the film (in which case such blunders do take place!), as it plays no role in it, just is seen in the background.
Stampro et al, did you spot any such Herlad taxi in any other old tamil films?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks