Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 17:37   #271
BHPian

This person drove all around the world twice, the second time wasn't in a Contessa though.
Daily Excelsior.........sports
Half way down the page

Last edited by Julian UK : 18th March 2008 at 17:44.
Old 19th March 2008, 00:57   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nothing to think about. I plan to drive to Turin in the Fiat, Coventry in the Standard and Wolfsburg in the Beetle some day. Hope you will join me, and Im not joking!
Whenever that day comes! don't forget me!!
Old 24th March 2008, 21:44   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
a mk1 Herald fitted with a mk2 bonnet, acquired by a local enthusiast, who also owns the black LHD super-select that is a regular participant at the local rallies here. The herald (actually said to've been bought by his father), incidentally, was the same one I'd heard about that was on sale a few months ago (had even mentioned it in this forum then.), painted maroon/chocolate brown then.
And now here's the same car with the interior done.....and with a correct bonnet- almost- its actually a '61-62 mk1 bonnet (not the design of air vents at the top) that he said he acquired from a parts car in chennai. He said he left the rest of the car with a friend there, no idea what happened of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_0463.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0464.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0465.jpg  

Standard cars in India-aman_dash.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0462.jpg  

Old 24th March 2008, 21:58   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's a Super 10 (quite complete barring the missing rear badges), formerly a madras reg'd car, to be restored soon.....and a mk1 Herald fitted with a mk2 bonnet, acquired by a local enthusiast, who also owns the black LHD super-select that is a regular participant at the local rallies here.

'happened to meet him as I was passing by his locality today on my way to someplace else & he invited me to drop by at his place later. Although he was too busy to meet when I later went back there he permitted me to check out his cars (hence not blanking out the plates.)

The herald (actually said to've been bought by his father), incidentally, was the same one I'd heard about that was on sale a few months ago (had even mentioned it in this forum then.), painted maroon/chocolate brown then.
@Stanher - is there a way to find the original chennai registration of this car Super 10 ? My father used to own a car like this black in color. It was registered in Chennai as MSX 2930 in the mid to late 70s(car was bought when I was born !). The sentimental value is too much for me for this car ... would love to surprise my dad if this is still available.

Last edited by sjcherian : 24th March 2008 at 22:14. Reason: missed the car details
Old 24th March 2008, 22:42   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
@Stanher - is there a way to find the original chennai registration of this car Super 10 ? My father used to own a car like this black in color. It was registered in Chennai as MSX 2930 in the mid to late 70s(car was bought when I was born !). The sentimental value is too much for me for this car ... would love to surprise my dad if this is still available.
I'll try & ask the owner- if he has the original book type RC the old regn. no. also should be mentioned in it. MSX would be a 50s/60s regn. not a mid to late 70s though?
Any old pics. of your car you could upload online?
Old 24th March 2008, 22:46   #276
BHPian

Thanks Stanher. I didnt realise it was a 50s/60s registration ... so naive of me. To be more clear my father had the car from mid 70s to early 80s. I have print photos ...shall scan and upload.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:33   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Stanher. I didnt realise it was a 50s/60s registration ... so naive of me. To be more clear my father had the car from mid 70s to early 80s. I have print photos ...shall scan and upload.
If I got it right Madras was renamed TN in the late 60s? following which all vehicles registered-re-reg'd thereafter had TM* regn. nos. (TMW, TMY, TMV etc.)
Old 25th March 2008, 07:20   #278
BHPian

Here are the best photos I could find -sorry couldnt scan them so took photos. Sadly no clear front views of the car are available. It is me next to the car. Registrations changed from M** at some point am not sure when to T** for a while. We have had cars in Chennai with plates TCV & TNJ in the 80s and early 90s.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-dscn0596.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dscn0598.jpg  

Old 25th March 2008, 08:33   #279
BHPian

This is not an Original Color. Also the seat design was different in the originals.But it all depends on ones objective- a car that the owner prefers , even if it is far from original or not
Old 25th March 2008, 08:34   #280
BHPian

What a coincidence? My father had an identical Standard Ten-MSX 2928 !!
Old 25th March 2008, 09:35   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
This is not an Original Color. Also the seat design was different in the originals.But it all depends on ones objective- a car that the owner prefers , even if it is far from original or not
If your referring to the herald, yes it certainly isnt an original colour. The car was earlier chocolate-brown, which again couldnt be an original colour. '63-65 mk1 heralds were offered in white, powder blue, phantom grey and black (all single colours) as standard colours I guess, although I wonder if plain red was also an original colour included as there were many red heralds (apart from the wedding cars) around.
And yes, the seats arent finished in the original pattern either. The top half should have been plain with the vertical stitches coming below it.

sjcherian- glad to see the super 10 pics.! The second one seems to've been taken at a later date than the first as the rear bumper is showing signs of age in the pic.

Last edited by Stanher : 25th March 2008 at 09:44.
Old 25th March 2008, 09:53   #282
BHPian

@Stanher ..yes the second one is taken a couple of years later. You didnt notice the change in appearance of the kid standing next to the car but you noticed the bumper ! :-).
Old 25th March 2008, 10:02   #283
Senior - BHPian

@stanher, can u pls post/pm the pics of the merc 115 behind the herald in the first pic u posted?? .

Also, in the second pic that sjcherian has posted, the"super" badge has fallen off!!
Old 25th March 2008, 11:33   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Stanher ..yes the second one is taken a couple of years later. You didnt notice the change in appearance of the kid standing next to the car but you noticed the bumper ! :-).
Uh, yea sorry! Actually I did notice the change in your appearance as well! But still, you'd know what most ppl. in this forum are more likely to notice in any pic. with cars in them!

Speaking of which btw, do you still wear 'veshtis' as you appear to be in the 1st pic.? And is that an aluminium trunk your carrying? I remember some students used to carry books in those to school when I was a kid. I believe those were banned (in most schools) later on.

@jayD: Yup was planning to post the merc pics...incidentally happens to be for sale, belongs to the same gent.

The super badge appears intact to me in the 2nd pic. too. You could make it out if you looked closely, its just hidden in the shade hence not clear.

Last edited by Stanher : 25th March 2008 at 11:36.
Old 25th March 2008, 11:52   #285
BHPian

Dont wear the Veshtis not too often but I do so whenever I get a chance. As for the box it was actually solid plastic not metal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks