Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 16:06   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the story takes an unusual twist! Take this as good or bad news, just a couple of days after I took these photos and paid the advance, I was told the (ex-) owner's brother cmae to know about the whereabouts of the car and came rushing down with his entire family! 'turns out that its his father's car and he very much is against parting with it but his brother had sold it to these guys without his knowledge, and so he wanted it back by all means!
They took the car back home just yesterday and are said to have plans to restore it(!) Well, if that really is the case then all's well that ends well! I do hope he gets to restoring it though!
Old 20th May 2008, 18:25   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Reg. the coupe' roof, nope although they are available abroad (albeit not as commonly as the saloon roofs as coupe's were made only for a few years) importing one is too much of a hassle and would probably turn out expensive, maybe costing as much as a Herald over here!
Besides, even if you do get one, I wouldnt think it possible to fit it onto a saloon bodyshell, as the rear body tub of the Coupe' is very much different, ie. "broader" than that of the saloon (see pics.), to accomodate the shorter coupe' roof:
I know someone who has a spare firbeglass roof like that for sale. Expensive but ready and available.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:53   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, the story takes an unusual twist! Take this as good or bad news, just a couple of days after I took these photos and paid the advance, I was told the (ex-) owner's brother cmae to know about the whereabouts of the car and came rushing down with his entire family! 'turns out that its his father's car and he very much is against parting with it but his brother had sold it to these guys without his knowledge, and so he wanted it back by all means!
They took the car back home just yesterday and are said to have plans to restore it(!) Well, if that really is the case then all's well that ends well! I do hope he gets to restoring it though!

Wow! that's great news! The car was too good to be broken down! Thank God she's finally taken(back) a good home!!
Old 20th May 2008, 22:58   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Wow! that's great news! The car was too good to be broken down! Thank God she's finally taken(back) a good home!!
Hmm......yes, but 'hope it indeed is a good home (I've had my doubts considering the present condition of the car!)

'turns out one of the brothers was in need of money or something & maybe didnt have good relationship with his family, so he stealthily sold the car (which sat outside the house) to the scrapguys in his family's absence and on taking the money he was paid for it, he absconded at once!
Meanwhile the mother and the other son, on finding the car gone, lodged a police complaint, the cops then traced down the car and the concerned scrapguy, compelling him to return the car to the owners at once!
And they didnt even bother paying him back what he had paid to the absconding owner for the car!
Worse still, the cops did a little poking around and caught a few more cars of his, especially those which came without papers! Poor guy is in a real soup now!
He did assure us that he'd return the 2k I paid him towards the car, once he's got out of this chakkar though!

I'd say this time I'm glad I didnt get to pick up the car! And he should be glad he didnt get hasty with scrapping the car!
Old 11th June 2008, 15:32   #365
Senior - BHPian

Was driving around the outskirts of town when i saw this Standard Penant peeking out from a garage. The car is in running condition, but in pretty bad shape. The meters are not original, but almost everything is complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-110620081175.jpg  

Standard cars in India-110620081176.jpg  

Standard cars in India-110620081177.jpg  

Standard cars in India-110620081179.jpg  

Standard cars in India-110620081178.jpg  

Old 11th June 2008, 15:38   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

chettAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAn!!!!!!!

This car definitely seems worth saving!! Only the speedometer isnt original. And also the bootlid handle. Plus the fuel-tank opening is missing.

Does it have papers?? Pending taxes I presume??
If no papers then can atleast be had for parts (much as I hate to say this!)

Last edited by Stanher : 11th June 2008 at 15:39.
Old 11th June 2008, 16:00   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Find out Jay D / Shyam & please let me know. If the price is right, then perhaps ----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th June 2008, 16:59   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Again a little 'sneak peek' into the restoration of my Herald. Paint's off nearly completely on the outside. There are more little rust spots to be seen now!
One unfortunate thing though, is the broken roof badge (left)- one of the studs seem to have been stuck really hard so it wouldve broken when they pulled it off! :(
Unfortunately I wasnt around when it happened, got to see it only when I went there today. I had requested them to remove the badges (and the centre rear roof trim) while I was present but they kept telling me they'd do it later and not to worry bout it.
Luckily I have a good pair at home.

The 2nd pic. is of the mk2 Herald being restored there. I like the way they are fixing the floor- this is THE proper way to do it!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_0713.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0714.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0705.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 12th June 2008 at 17:06.
Old 12th June 2008, 17:45   #369

JayD, is that an Amby MK1 that i see in the background?
Old 12th June 2008, 18:10   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - please remove the body from the chassis and do a ground-up otherwise something may get left out.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th June 2008, 18:19   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
JayD, is that an Amby MK1 that i see in the background?
Actually that looks like a mk2- part of the grille surround and parking light are quite prominent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - please remove the body from the chassis and do a ground-up otherwise something may get left out.
Thank you sir. And yes, that exactly IS what I intend to do. This is just the first stage, getting the paint scraped off (which I guess would be easier to do with the body still on chassis)

In fact I'm planning to get the chassis sand-blasted once its off.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th June 2008 at 18:47. Reason: See note in post
Old 2nd July 2008, 22:54   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice little article in today's Hindu metro plus (chennai) about a 72 year old ex-serviceman and his '57 Standard (Super?) 10.

The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : Going great guns

Incidentally I remember seeing a glimpse of this car in somebody's photos of a chennai rally a few years ago.
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:05   #373

Yea thats a super 10 all right!! A beautiful one to boot!!
Old 5th July 2008, 18:53   #374
Senior - BHPian

STANHER'S favourite rusting in pieces. its got a removable hard top.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-standard-herald-1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-standard-herald.jpg  

Old 5th July 2008, 20:06   #375

Thats a MArk 2 isnt it? Or is it a Mark 3??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks