Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2008, 13:48   #616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
There was a red one for sale here, which I'd also posted ('not sure if in this thread) some time ago.
Its the only other car out of 2 Ive known that I find worth calling a "convertible", not those home-made unskilled strip jobs with a poor excuse for a soft-top that could compare well with a cycle-rickshaw!
AND I hope thats not what you'll end up doing should you ever buy a Herald, dikra.......or else! (meant more to be an evil grin!)

You mean the MRX '62 one? You'd said the owner came for his morning-walk in it? Yes that sure is lovely! Although that was waaay more than a couple of pages ago!
No NO, I would use it with no roof Whatsoever!! But For that I need Covered Parking First.

And yea, i know that was more than a few pages ago!!
Old 29th November 2008, 15:41   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Can I ask you how many vintage car's do you own??
As of now I own only standards!

As for how many, well......'can't really say- because the number keeps fluctuating like the currency exchange rates, albeit slightly!

But its certainly not so much as to make Pranlal Bhogilal, Doc Raviprakash et al envious!

@cyrus- I wouldnt think it wrong if you unbolted the roof and kept it that way (which is not a problem as it can be bolted back on), but what I meant was, don't ever try to fit a soft-top over it, come what may! Majority of such mods have gone utterly wrong!
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:02   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

A video clipping of a neat Standard Flying 8 tourer, incorrectly identified as being in India, it appears to be in Sri Lanka. Can anyone give us a (rough) translation?

Flying 8 on Derana TV
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:13   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A video clipping of a neat Standard Flying 8 tourer, incorrectly identified as being in India, it appears to be in Sri Lanka. Can anyone give us a (rough) translation?

Flying 8 on Derana TV
I'm not able to view this clipping at all, not even in the smc forum!

'tried searching for it on youtube but no luck yet!
Old 3rd December 2008, 20:29   #620
BHPian

Stan, Is this herald for sale?. Please find me one, all my leads are now lost :(
Old 4th December 2008, 00:17   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Stan, Is this herald for sale?.
Ohhh, I wish (for obvious reasons!! )

Quote:
Please find me one, all my leads are now lost :(
Not just your leads....:sigh: How I wish I knew guys like you a year or two ago! A friend in your own Bengaluru had 2 heralds that he'd desperately tried to sell, as he was in a hurry to leave to the US, even ultimately coming down to a low price! Unfortunately by the time I got a few people interested, he'd already left! He just emailed me once telling me that he'd reached the US. Although I'd replied, I mnever heard from him again!
He didn't even have his own/a proper parking space for the cars! God knows what has happened to them since!

Still, I'll try and contact him on email again.
Old 4th December 2008, 13:53   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Still, I'll try and contact him on email again.
Stanher, do try to contact him. I'll try to help you to locate the Heralds.
Old 5th December 2008, 23:51   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Stanher, do try to contact him. I'll try to help you to locate the Heralds.
Thanks! Although unfortunately I can't find his bangalore address- it was in Wilson Gardens but I cant remember what 'cross' or 'main'!
2 of his cars were lying in an open plot diagonally opposite his house.
Old 7th December 2008, 00:52   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

'found this pic. in a flickr album. The car looks really sad, apart from the rust creeping in! This appears to have been taken in the Nandanam area in Madras.

Standard cars in India-2968407556_32972b27b1_o_d.jpg

Although it's good to know that these can still be found on the road there!

Last edited by Stanher : 7th December 2008 at 00:57.
Old 7th December 2008, 01:01   #625

Is this a Baraat car or someones personal car that has been decorated for the wedding?
Old 7th December 2008, 01:06   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Is this a Baraat car or someones personal car that has been decorated for the wedding?
Going by the condition yes it (unfortunately) sure is a baraat car!

It's been years since I saw one in Madras (I did see one Gazel also modified for a similar use, on my last trip though.)....even Hyd. appears to have none left now! They are all rpelaced by chopped contessas!
Old 7th December 2008, 01:10   #627

And Speaking of chopped Contis, i saw one yesterday in bombay!! And It looked Decently maintained too!!
Old 8th December 2008, 19:44   #628
BHPian

Hey Stanher,

I agree with the idea of you deserving a special place in the Standard Motor Club website! Would love to see more of the silver Herald that beautifully appears as your profile picture. And thanks for sending me this link. It amused me immensely to read what "Heraldoholics" had to say about conversions from a hard top to a soft top.

It also makes me feel on cloud nine that I have managed to do a reasonably okay job of designing the convertible top frame for my '62 Herald saloon. I have spared no effort in getting the modification as close to the factory specifications. In the process, I got the rear bench shortened to accomodate the well for the soft-top to completely disappear when top down. The frame was scrapped 20 times (maybe more) till the proper shape with the top up was achieved. Here, I would like to add that my fully equipped workshop (I am into metal furniture and handicraft) together with my creative brain and never-say-no attitude helped getting the job done!

Here are a few pics of my beloved exclusively for you all. Hope you find her as irresistible as I do!

Cheers,
Vikas
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_0870.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0864.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0861.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0868.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0859.jpg  

Old 8th December 2008, 21:24   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hey Stanher,

I agree with the idea of you deserving a special place in the Standard Motor Club website! Would love to see more of the silver Herald that beautifully appears as your profile picture.
Thanks vikas! Btw, that isn't a silver car but a grey one- the original shade of "Phantom Grey", which was common on Heralds. That is one immaculate car, formerly belonging to the Raja of Dhramapur. I guess it's pics. have been posted here earlier as well. More on that later.

Quote:
I have spared no effort in getting the modification as close to the factory specifications.
And I must say I thoroughly believe you! You've even got the side-glasses cut accordingly, to accomodate the soft-top! A feature that I haven't found even on the 2 other close to original 'convertibles' I've known here!
This is one commendable job! Keep it up!

Quote:
Here are a few pics of my beloved exclusively for you all. Hope you find her as irresistible as I do!
Atleast I sure do! However, may I point out that the left rear rim on your car is from a Standard Gazel, obvious from the narrow 4 "slits" around the centre of the rim. It can be compared with the correct herald rim on the front same side (and the other rims on the right), which has wider "slits" in it. Do try for a correct herald rim, else if your stepney has it you can fit that instead.
Also do try for the original front sidelights that '62 heralds came with- they are impossible to find in India, you can get them abroad, even on ebay at "buy-it-now" offers. That'll make your car qualify for concours!

BTW, sorry if I'm getting a bit personal, but the number of your car rings a bell- makes your name all the more familiar. Wasnt the same car of yours put up for sale in Auto India many years ago (around '99 I guess?)
It was made into a convertible then itself but it was cream with a maroon stripe then. Also it had herald front sidelights (although the more common later type with single bulb) then.
So, assuming you're the same person, did you have a second thought and decide to retain your car? If so, it's indeed good that you did!
BTW again: In case you have the original saloon roof lying around with you, and if it has the "herald" roof badges, I'd be interested in them.

Last edited by Stanher : 8th December 2008 at 21:31.
Old 9th December 2008, 09:37   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, sorry if I'm getting a bit personal, but the number of your car rings a bell- makes your name all the more familiar. Wasnt the same car of yours put up for sale in Auto India many years ago (around '99 I guess?)
It was made into a convertible then itself but it was cream with a maroon stripe then. Also it had herald front sidelights (although the more common later type with single bulb) then.
I too remember that car, plus Rajasthan regd. 3 digit, though I can't say I remember the whole number. Was quite a handsome car even then.

Most Viewed