Vikas
very nicely maintained car.
Old 9th December 2008, 18:26   #632
BHPian

A very neat job & nice tidy roof work. Great job.Congrats
Old 9th December 2008, 22:59   #633
SYJ
BHPian

Beautitiful car there, Lovely bodywork!!
Old 13th December 2008, 13:43   #634
Senior - BHPian

Recently I purchased a number of photographs and this was included. A 4 door Standard. Last I saw one of these was in the 1970's. There may be some still around.
Normally 2 door versions of a model are more valuable and rarer, but in this case a 4 door version seems to be rarer. But value?
The registration seems to be MYQ or MYO. Do Unity Buildings still exist? This is in Karnataka, but where?
Hope that Standard fans like. Better to post here than in Nostalgic thread.

Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-standard-2.jpg  

Old 13th December 2008, 15:35   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Recently I purchased a number of photographs and this was included. A 4 door Standard. Last I saw one of these was in the 1970's. There may be some still around.
Normally 2 door versions of a model are more valuable and rarer, but in this case a 4 door version seems to be rarer. But value?
The registration seems to be MYQ or MYO. Do Unity Buildings still exist? This is in Karnataka, but where?
Wow, as always, nice to see your pics. sir!
Yes the 4-door (mk3) heralds are fewer than the 2-door ones (ironic considering that this model was made specifically for the Indian buyer!), since they were produced for a shorter time (probably because barely 2-3 years after they came out, Stampro decided to do away with the herald once & for all, and brought out the Gazel!)
There was also an estate version with a fibreglass roof and rear-hatch, named as the mk3 Companion, launched on the side....but all the more short-lived (just for a year!)
As for the value, unfortunately they are not as sought after as the older 2-door (esp. mk1) models. This could be mainly because the general build quality in the later 'Indian-made' heralds appears to have gone consistently downhill. This can be easily made out in the quality of the cosmetic fittings, and even overall fit and finsh of body panels, in the 4-door vis-a-vis the early 2-door. It was this factor that even made me eventually shy away from buying one and sticking to the older models.
The 4-doorers, I was told, were also known for rattling emitting from the rear doors while driving, even when new.
However, if this is a plus point(!), these models (and even the Gazels) certainly have a lot of curious interest overseas, especially in the UK, where people are used to only the 'home-market' 2-door heralds. So the few that survive might as well end up like the Indian-made lambrettas and Vijais that have skyrocketed in their prices because of their demand in export!

PS: Is it feasible to make a larger resolution of the above pic. please??

Also there is indeed one such car, in Bombay itself (originally from hyderabad), it's a metallic purple one and the pics. had been posted in this thread itself by egangsta:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1038357-post580.html

Last edited by Stanher : 13th December 2008 at 15:46.
Old 13th December 2008, 16:45   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hope that Standard fans like. Better to post here than in Nostalgic thread.

Harit
Unity buildings still exists. This is in Bangalore right next to the city corporation offices.

Cheers,
Old 14th December 2008, 18:00   #637
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, sorry if I'm getting a bit personal, but the number of your car rings a bell- makes your name all the more familiar. Wasnt the same car of yours put up for sale in Auto India many years ago (around '99 I guess?)
It was made into a convertible then itself but it was cream with a maroon stripe then. Also it had herald front sidelights (although the more common later type with single bulb) then.
Hi Stanher,

I am amazed at your sharp Herald-spotting abilities. Yep, I am very much the same guy. Better sense prevailed that I retained the car! The earlier milk-white with maroon stripe was my first color choice. I was in college back then and used the Herald almost daily for my commute.

The convertible hood was a tacky affair then. The car lay unused for quite sometime during the later years, but my undying love for it urged me to get it back on the roads again - with a vengeance, the result of which you see in the pics.

The bolt-on roof is not with me anymore. But will surely try finding logos for you.

Vikas

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th December 2008 at 17:02. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 17th December 2008, 16:08   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

This car happens to be for sale at a local dealer's (that's not him in the pic. but his assistant, he was away when I'd gone there)....for a very steep price!
It is very original though, except for the missing hubcaps and the dashboard, which has a decolum panel over it instead of the wood veneer. Plus the front sidelights are of a mk1 herald.

I was debating whether to post these pics. here or in classics available thread. Then thought that posting them here would also be informative with respect to standards, so there!

This is a later ('67 or '68) mk2 herald, a transition between the early mk2 and the later mk3 (4-door) herald, with the mk3 style bootlid and meters.
The build and cosmetic quality of this model vis-a-vis the mk1 can be easily made out!

Standard cars in India-mk2ady.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk2ady1.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk2ady2.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk2ady3.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1950.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1956.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_1959.jpg

Also note the unusual 'rib' along the roof sides, crossing over the C-pillars, where the 'herald' roof badges normally would've been on the mk1 heralds.
The mk2 normally didn't have those badges, barring maybe a few initial ones, but this seems to be the only model with the 'ribs' on the roof-sides.

Standard cars in India-img_1958.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 17th December 2008 at 16:11.
Old 17th December 2008, 20:56   #639
BHPian

Hi Stanher,
I feel that the Mark I Heralds were by far the best looking of all their later incarnations, especially when Standard India started putting their brain on the design. The purple Mark-III saloon (four-door) featured elsewhere on this thread is witness to what Indian design ideologies can do to such a fine car. I absolutely love the Jaegar meters (England) on my car. The front of the 948 Mark-I is so,so beautiful than the wierd Vitesse and Mark II, III and IV Heralds.

Also, a glaring horror I noticed from your recently posted pics- is the back of this car original? My car has a beautiful recess where the no.plate is. This one is just a bland sheet of metal.
Old 17th December 2008, 21:17   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Also, a glaring horror I noticed from your recently posted pics- is the back of this car original? My car has a beautiful recess where the no.plate is. This one is just a bland sheet of metal.
That bootlid is very much original to the late Mk2 onwards.
Old 17th December 2008, 22:43   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
The front of the 948 Mark-I is so,so beautiful than the wierd Vitesse and Mark II, III and IV Heralds.
Thanks for your comments! You're no doubt right about the build quality of the mk1 heralds! Main reason why I decided to steer away from most of the later heralds even though I was initially a big fan of the mk2 and mk3
Although am not particularly against the Vitesse style bonnet.

Uh, BTW, to the best of my knowledge, I know nothing about a Mark IV Herald?!
The mk3 was the last model produced here.

And yes, as karl as clarified, that flat, plain bootlid was introduced on the later mk2 (early ones did come with the recessed lid) 'wonder why they took out the recess though!

Last edited by Stanher : 17th December 2008 at 22:49.
Old 17th December 2008, 22:59   #642
BHPian

Stanher,

Just for info...what is the asking price ?

cheers
Old 18th December 2008, 00:06   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Stanher,

Just for info...what is the asking price ?

cheers
I've pm'd you.
Incidentally, needless to say, I intend to give it a shot- but I will go for it only if he gives it for half of the asking price...if not, anyone else is welcome to it!

Last edited by Stanher : 18th December 2008 at 00:07.
Old 20th December 2008, 17:49   #644
Senior - BHPian

One more pic of a Standard Taxi, this was in Mysore in 1962. Could the car have been new at that time? Maybe some would like to have the carrier?
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-standard-taxi-1962.jpg  

Old 20th December 2008, 18:42   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Nostalgia harit. In fact, there were a lot of Standard 10 Pennant and Super Ten taxis on Madras city roads till the early 1980's. The Standard Herald -even the Gazel or the Herald Mark III Four door were never seen as taxis as the operators maybe did not believe that these were reliable workhorses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks