Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:58   #646

Is the Gazel still avaliable I would like to purchase .Could u please PM the details to my email nair.arun72@gmail.com.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:46   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair.arun72 View Post
Is the Gazel still avaliable I would like to purchase .Could u please PM the details to my email nair.arun72@gmail.com.
Sorry but which Gazel do you ask of?? I didn't find any recent posts about one for sale in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
One more pic of a Standard Taxi, this was in Mysore in 1962. Could the car have been new at that time? Maybe some would like to have the carrier?
This is a late 50s Standard 10/Super 10. So you could say it was as good as new at the time!

Also a bit intrigued to know about a Black & yellow cab in Mysore!
I was under the impression that black & yellow cabs were more common in metros back then (and seem to be even now) although Hyderabad too did have them once; they were taken off later.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:34   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This is a late 50s Standard 10/Super 10. So you could say it was as good as new at the time!

Also a bit intrigued to know about a Black & yellow cab in Mysore!
I was under the impression that black & yellow cabs were more common in metros back then (and seem to be even now) although Hyderabad too did have them once; they were taken off later.
Well, the gentlemen were on a trip in south India. There is nothing to say that they did not hire a car from another city, say Bangaluru. The registration was MYU.

BTW, in Mumbai we had a Standard Herald taxi in around 1970, then later we had at least two Gazels as Taxi's too. When the 118NE came in, we had 2 or 3 such Cabs, it was rumored that one car was given by Premier to an official of the Cabbies union. But at least one 118NE cab is still around, I saw it yesterday. Talking of only black + yellow cabs. There were also Uno cabs, they rusted faster than they could be driven, none to be seen today.
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:26   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, in Mumbai we had a Standard Herald taxi in around 1970, then later we had at least two Gazels as Taxi's too.
The herald had to be a 4-door one if I'm not wrong? And if so, do you recall the regn.? I remember seeing this 4-door used as a taxi (MRP 375) in a 70s Hindi movie "Humrahi", driven by Mehboob(?) who acts as the driver, in the last few scenes. After searching for this movie frantically for years, I finally found videos of it on good ol' youtube!!

I must say this car really performed well in this movie, despite the bashing it gets from the villains' Desoto!
BTW, when I first saw this, I was flabbergasted (excuse the spelling if wrong, guys- even English teachers are human so not perfect! ) as I thought that after the Delight/padmini arrived there were no taxis in Bombay other than 'fiats'! I wonder how long this car (and also the Gazel you mention) survived!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd December 2008 at 18:36.
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:50   #650
BHPian

Here is another song (Kannada) featuring a 4 door herald. I'm not sure if it has a Mysore or Madras registration but a pretty fancy number. Love the color on this car. Did the 4 doors come with two tone paint?

Old 22nd December 2008, 19:28   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Here is another song (Kannada) featuring a 4 door herald. I'm not sure if it has a Mysore or Madras registration but a pretty fancy number. Love the color on this car. Did the 4 doors come with two tone paint?
The two tone colour was gone by 1962. The later Heralds (even the two doors) sported single colours viz. light grey, white, black and a few more. The Mark III with four doors followed in 1966, also sporting a new light blue colour along with other colours.The coffee brown shade was added a few years later.The two-tone colours never reappeared after 1962.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd December 2008 at 19:30.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:21   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Mark III with four doors followed in 1966, also sporting a new light blue colour along with other colours.
Mk 3 was probably around 68. My father had a two door 65/6 Mk 2, and the Mk2 was definitely around in 67 as well, not sure of 68.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:27   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The two tone colour was gone by 1962. The later Heralds (even the two doors) sported single colours viz. light grey, white, black and a few more. The Mark III with four doors followed in 1966, also sporting a new light blue colour along with other colours.The coffee brown shade was added a few years later.The two-tone colours never reappeared after 1962.
As karl said, the mk3 came in the late 60s only. '66 was the year of the mk2.

The light blue you refer to was known as Powder Blue, and this had appeared on the mk1 itself (atleast I wouls guess around 1964-65)....there was a one-owner (Parsi!) '65 mk1 in Secunderabad in this colour. I was told it was offered for sale once, around 7-8 years ago- for Rs. 25,000!!
I tried hard to trace the owner, but with no luck! No idea if it's still around today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
and the Mk2 was definitely around in 67 as well, not sure of 68.
I suspect it was complemented by the mk3 in later years and they were produced simultaneously for a while before the mk3 alone was produced.

@blues: Nice video! Nope, 4-doorers never came in 2-tone. I have copies of all the herald sales brochures mk1-3, and the colours available on mk2 and mk3 are all single ones.
Lots of people did paint heralds in 2-tone, as in roof alone a different colour- most popular I guess was red with black roof, and I had a postcard that looked like it was taken circa 1970s of the Vidhana Soudha, Bangalore with a mud-brown & white roof mk1 Herald ('had also seen one in this colour combo in Jodhpur, Raj. when I was a kid!) passing by, followed by a black companion! Unfortunately I'd left that behind when I came back home in a hurry from Singapore!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd December 2008 at 20:35.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:44   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The herald had to be a 4-door one if I'm not wrong? And if so, do you recall the regn.? I remember seeing this 4-door used as a taxi (MRP 375) in a 70s Hindi movie "Humrahi", driven by Mehboob(?) who acts as the driver, in the last few scenes. After searching for this movie frantically for years, I finally found videos of it on good ol' Youtube!!

I must say this car really performed well in this movie, despite the bashing it gets from the villains' Desoto!
BTW, when I first saw this, I was flabbergasted (excuse the spelling if wrong, guys- even English teachers are human so not perfect! ) as I thought that after the Delight/padmini arrived there were no taxis in Bombay other than 'fiats'! I wonder how long this car (and also the Gazel you mention) survived!
Well, Stanher really has Standards & Heralds in his blood. Personally I am not a fan of these, but when I see my posts his responses have been with his personal excitement. Otherwise why should I post a Standard taxi? Because there is a consistabt respose from him.
Now about the taxi, one Standard taxi rotted away at Churchgate in the 1970's, it was lying in the compound of an insurance co or a bank, probably seized for some reason or the other. I cannot remember the number. At that time where I was living, in the opposite building there were two 4 door Standards and one earlier two door version belonging to a Sardarji. I still remember when one morning he opened the bonnet to check the water level the grill just fell on the road. He picked it up and wedged it back. Childhood memories.
About Bollywood, I saw a brief part of the clip posted and this confirm that Bollywood had too much of fantasy. I looked at the DeSoto and felt more pitty, such a hunk gets bashed by a Standard. The DeSoto is more collectable even though there are more survivors than the Standard. Typical David vs Goliath Bollywood style.
But respect to Standard car collectors for their efforts.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:40   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Stanher really has Standards & Heralds in his blood. Personally I am not a fan of these, but when I see my posts his responses have been with his personal excitement. Otherwise why should I post a Standard taxi? Because there is a consistabt respose from him.
I thank you for your compliments, sir!
I'm happy to put forth my enthusiasm in this regard! I'm however, not much of a Gazel fan (blame it on the styling of the car, viz. the rear end design!) although I do owe my interests in Standards to this car, having grown up in one!

But of course, it is always a pleasure to read your knowledgeable posts that talk so much of bygone motoring days!

Quote:
At that time where I was living, in the opposite building there were two 4 door Standards and one earlier two door version belonging to a Sardarji. I still remember when one morning he opened the bonnet to check the water level the grill just fell on the road. He picked it up and wedged it back.
This I presume was the 4-door herald, which has the grille fixed to the bonnet/cowl, unlike the older 2-door, which has the grille bolted to the front bumperguards.

Quote:
The DeSoto is more collectable even though there are more survivors than the Standard. Typical David vs Goliath Bollywood style.
But respect to Standard car collectors for their efforts.
You're indeed right about the Desoto being more of a collectable compared to a car like the 4-door Herald. But nevertheless, I felt that was one exciting clip to watch!

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd December 2008 at 16:42.
Old 25th December 2008, 19:36   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing on the video with the mk3 I'd posted, did someone notice this- MRP 375 in the first scenes in which it appears, has the taxi meter on and plain tyres...this is in video 11 of the movie:

Standard cars in India-img_2027.jpg

Then in one scene of video 12 it is shown with a broad white-wall tyre and no taxi meter!

Standard cars in India-img_2018.jpg

Only to revert to the meter and plain tyre again in the last video 13:

Standard cars in India-img_2007.jpg

So that would mean there were 2 such heralds used for the movie, fitted with the same numberplate...which is not surprising in Bollywood movies!

Yet, one of them, atleast the one with the meter always fitted, I suspect was a real taxi?
Old 25th December 2008, 19:44   #657
BHPian

There's a certain Herald in Mumbai that's getting a heart transplant. Guess what's going in??? Secret secret. Will turn out to be sort of a hot rod.
Old 25th December 2008, 20:05   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
There's a certain Herald in Mumbai that's getting a heart transplant. Guess what's going in??? Secret secret. Will turn out to be sort of a hot rod.
Hmm.....I think I know this car:

1) It's a red mk1
2) It's owned by a teambhpian
3) I know what's happened of the original 'organs' including the heart!
Old 1st January 2009, 17:22   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Sorry I pinched this photo from another thread.

Std Companion does not have the charm of a Std Herald or Std Pennant or a Std 10.I am not planning to buy one,but for the benefit of others could you please give
Photo
Year
Number of owners
etc.
oh.. nostalgia!this is the car in which I was taken to school in 1st standard .black in colour.still remember narayanan chettan bashing the car with full of us -kids and car not pulling the hills!
Thanks!
Another car was Morris Minor in which I used to go to school.

Last edited by deepclutch : 1st January 2009 at 17:23.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:39   #660

Standard cars in India.

Is the Standard Gazel u mentioned still available I am intrested to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Dont know much about Standards but one is laying down in our apartment, its Standard Gazel and looking on its stikers put by some garazes shows that she was running till now may be till 2006-2007, body is in great condition apart from few rust which is obvious, most of original parts are intact and car is in very much restorable condition, dont have funds to buy and restore, may be some interested Standard lovers can save this beauti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks