Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 11:47   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Karl, are you referring to just the post in the above link or the entire thread??
Because there is NO Herald, conv. or otherwise, seen in the pics. in this post.
Who mentioned Herald? I said a very early Standard convertible, the RSL regd green and black 4 door tourer. Possibly from the mid 20s.

Note the horizontal vents on the bonnet which instantly point towards the car being a Standard, besides the trademark radiator grille.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:30   #692
BHPian

hey stanher
the herald front end unit brochure extract is awesome, never knew that it was available in that form.

even i watch old hindi, kannada, tamil movies just to get glimpse of these old cars and esp kannada ones for the glimpses of old bangalore roads where they used to be so empty.

for catching the standard van!
Old 6th February 2009, 12:49   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Who mentioned Herald? I said a very early Standard convertible, the RSL regd green and black 4 door tourer. Possibly from the mid 20s.
Oops, sorry chief!

I'm so used to reading Herald 'novices' refer to Herald conv. as "Standard convertible" when I read your post, I automatically took it as a Herald!

Siddhartha, thanks for your comments! Yes, incidentally I had a postcard of VIDHANA SOUDHA, Bangalore, taken circa 70s. There was a mud-brown with white roof herald partly seen and a Black Companion both passing by in front of the building.
I cherished that postcard like anything! Unfortunately, I lost it in Singapore, when I was coming back home!

Last edited by Stanher : 6th February 2009 at 12:53.
Old 9th February 2009, 16:24   #694
BHPian

Remember the Madurai Gazel posted in this thread.
A Herald with same colour scheme is also used for wedding.
I caught this before a Marriage Hall.

Nice to know a Standard Herald is in Service and many couple are starting their married life with a ride in a Standard Herald.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-heraldmaduraifront.jpg  

Standard cars in India-heraldmadurairea.jpg  

Old 9th February 2009, 18:10   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Nice to know a Standard Herald is in Service and many couple are starting their married life with a ride in a Standard Herald.
Hahaha!!! A classic case of ingenuity if I ever saw one!! This one takes the cake!

Stampro, if you look closely, you can make out that it's actually a GAZEL, made into a Hybrid variety of a Herald!

It's been fitted with a mk1 Herald bonnet and bootlid, and (wonder of wonders!) Herald tail-fins fused into it's bum!!

I doubt if stampro (I mean the factory/co.!) themselves had ever had such creativity!

Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate the lack of tail-fins on the Gazel! In a way, good to see that someone actually did something about it! Hehehe....
Old 9th February 2009, 18:28   #696
BHPian

also note:different rear suspension, double rear bumpers, maruti van tail lamps, and a boosted boot for more capacity, so that the newly weds can carry all their presents at one go.

Last edited by siddartha : 9th February 2009 at 18:30.
Old 10th February 2009, 01:48   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
also note:different rear suspension, double rear bumpers, maruti van tail lamps, and a boosted boot for more capacity, so that the newly weds can carry all their presents at one go.
The Gazel did have a different rear suspension from the Herald, with a rigid rear axle. Although it was a unique set-up with coil springs over shocks and an anti-roll bar, all said to be adapted from the Triumph Toledo. I can't say if this car has the same original rear susp. but it definitely is a rigid rear axle.
Uh, double rear bumpers?? I see only one, the chrome one...it's very much an original Gazel one (later ones had overriders added), I wish I had one of these on our Gazel! The front bumper valence also is original but without the chrome bumper over it. See pics. of such cars for reference:

Standard Gazel

Also as seen, the boot is not boosted or anything, it is a normal Gazel boot only (note the recess for the rear numberplate), with just a Herald bootlid fitted on top, hence it gives that kind of "boosted" impression.

The car is missing it's side-trims though.
Old 10th February 2009, 10:51   #698
BHPian

Quote:

Stampro, if you look closely, you can make out that it's actually a GAZEL, made into a Hybrid variety of a Herald!

It's been fitted with a mk1 Herald bonnet and bootlid, and (wonder of wonders!) Herald tail-fins fused into it's bum!!

Nice Discovery Stanher.
The link to Gazel pictures shows the bodyline and Wheel arches clearly.
They got the lines onto the Bonnet as well.Excellent.
So it is a Gazald or Herzel.
Maybe Standard Motors would have survived if they had thought of this.

Last edited by stampro : 10th February 2009 at 10:56.
Old 10th February 2009, 13:03   #699
BHPian

Quote:
The Gazel did have a different rear suspension from the Herald, with a rigid rear axle. Although it was a unique set-up with coil springs over shocks and an anti-roll bar, all said to be adapted from the Triumph Toledo. I can't say if this car has the same original rear susp. but it definitely is a rigid rear axle.
Uh, double rear bumpers?? I see only one, the chrome one...it's very much an original Gazel one (later ones had overriders added), I wish I had one of these on our Gazel! The front bumper valence also is original but without the chrome bumper over it. See pics. of such cars for reference:

Standard Gazel

Also as seen, the boot is not boosted or anything, it is a normal Gazel boot only (note the recess for the rear numberplate), with just a Herald bootlid fitted on top, hence it gives that kind of "boosted" impression.

The car is missing it's side-trims though.
hey stanher , i have my doubts if this is a gazel , but a heavily modded herald ,
if you notice the gazel did not have the rectangular recess on the boot lid, which is seen on this ,( i am not talking abt the reccess for the number plate)

also with regards to the rear suspension , i have heard a lot of heralds were modded using the rear suspension set up from the standard 10.

with regards to the 2 bumpers, it looks like the chrome bumper is sitting on a painted one which is actually a part of the bodywork.

Last edited by siddartha : 10th February 2009 at 13:07.
Old 10th February 2009, 16:11   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
if you notice the gazel did not have the rectangular recess on the boot lid, which is seen on this ,( i am not talking abt the reccess for the number plate)
That exactly IS what I'd clarified earlier itself- that the bootlid indeed IS from a Herald!
And so is the bonnet, but the rest of the body panels are all Gazel. It's even got the original Gazel dashboard, although the steering wheel and front seats again are Herald's.
Also, being a Herald owner as well, you can tell it isn't a Herald by the way the tail-fins are angled upwards at a tilt, which is NEVER the way they are on any Herald- they were always straight/fully horizontal at the top, and properly integrated with the bodyline.

Quote:
also with regards to the rear suspension , i have heard a lot of heralds were modded using the rear suspension set up from the standard 10.
Indeed they were, but even not considering that, the body as a whole tells us that it is a Gazel.

Quote:
with regards to the 2 bumpers, it looks like the chrome bumper is sitting on a painted one which is actually a part of the bodywork.
Again, check the rear bumper shape on your Herald!

Does it look anything like this "painted one"? And that "painted rear bumper" isn't a bumper at all but merely a bottom "lip", an extension of the border along the body sides, and certainly a part of the bodywork.
OK, for now, here's a pic. of a proper Herald rear bumper for quick reference:

Standard cars in India-herboot.jpg

Note the proper curve of the bumper, (also that it isn't a part of the body but a bolted on 3-piece one) and compare it to the bottom "lip" of the Gazel, as seen in this pic.:

Standard cars in India-gazboot.jpg

'hope this clears things!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th February 2009 at 16:27.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:25   #701
BHPian

1961 Mark I Standard Herald. Spotted in Delhi recently, after a long gap. Although the owner said that he still drives her around, I've been missing her and fearing the worst.

Second owner. Originally hard-top. But the soft-top system is an imported unit from the U.K. So looks quite wholesome. The paint is mostly original (I couldn't check) and the car simply looks, sounds and moves great. This colour combo especially, and on a herald particularly, does it for me. Sorry, I have to blank the faces as in the excitement I forgot to take their permission to post here. I'm so glad to have spotted her again after all these years. Definitely on my wish-list! I'm dreaming again...
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-1961-standard-herald-side.jpg  

Standard cars in India-1961-standard-herald-back-top-down.jpg  

Standard cars in India-1961-standard-herald-frnt-3-qrts-top-down.jpg  

Old 10th February 2009, 18:36   #702
BHPian

ok ok , the bumper bit has been clarified, and come on stanher i never said anything about the hideous fins. am not that blind.

Last edited by siddartha : 10th February 2009 at 18:46.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:36   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
1961 Mark I Standard Herald. Spotted in Delhi recently, after a long gap. Although the owner said that he still drives her around, I've been missing her and fearing the worst.
Second owner. Originally hard-top. But the soft-top system is an imported unit from the U.K. So looks quite wholesome.
Lovely! And they've even taken care to paint it in the correct 2-tone colour combo of early Heralds!
Those Fiat sidelights mar the whole concours look though! If the owner could get the soft-top kit from the UK, he can get the original (dual-bulb, used only on '61-62 heralds) front sidelights far more easily there.
Next time do take a snap of the dash as well- I'm sure it's the original one too.
Incidentally, my '62 Herald was in this kind of combo: Sebring white + Litchfield Green. The next time you meet the owners, could you find out the shade of green they got the car painted in, and also paint co. it is available with? As a last resort, IF I can't find the right shade of said green, I will paint my car Signal red with the sebring white.
But no, I'm NOT going to convert mine into a convertible however cool it looks!

Quote:
Definitely on my wish-list! I'm dreaming again...
Excuse me babu moshAi.....YOUR wish-list?? Coming through, coming through....move over!!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th February 2009 at 18:41.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:53   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Refreshing to see such a period looking well preserved example after the recent spew of molested cars.

Tell the owner to throw out those Bridgestone radials, fit 5.60 13 nylons, same size as 118NE. I used those low profile radials for a year on a Herald, they created havoc with ride and steering. And try changing the rear wheel on these tyres!
Old 10th February 2009, 22:21   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Tell the owner to throw out those Bridgestone radials, fit 5.60 13 nylons, same size as 118NE. I used those low profile radials for a year on a Herald, they created havoc with ride and steering. And try changing the rear wheel on these tyres!
Oh yeah, karl! Am I glad I have someone with a more keener eye than mine!

The rear wheel is a Gazel one, you can make out the difference from the original herald rim on the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks