Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:53   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Picked up my first standard car, a 1961 Standard Pennant last week in Bangalore. Inspite of a history of 3 owners this car surprisingly has some original parts like the "Made in England" wiper blades, keys and other small bits. Also the car was mechanically sound prompting myself and my friend to drive from Bangalore to Chennai almost non stop except for a 15 mins break at Cafe Coffee day in Kolar.
Wow, that has to be one of the best Pennants Ive seen in a long time, totally untouched! Can you give us some close up shots of the wiper blades and commission numbers and interiors for reference? I see the parking lights are after market, hunt for the originals.

Can you give us some history on the car?

Do contact the Standard Motor Club for any help you may need.

Standard Motor Club Home Page
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:08   #722
Senior - BHPian

One of the best backgrounds and foregrounds that a Cafe Coffee day could ask for makes the picture almost anachronistic (almost like one of Harit's postcards) . Beautiful Car and what a runner she is!!
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:06   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up my first standard car, a 1961 Standard Pennant last week in Bangalore. Inspite of a history of 3 owners this car surprisingly has some original parts like the "Made in England" wiper blades, keys and other small bits. Also the car was mechanically sound prompting myself and my friend to drive from Bangalore to Chennai almost non stop except for a 15 mins break at Cafe Coffee day in Kolar.
What a beauty! great bodyline.

Cheers,
Old 22nd February 2009, 14:12   #724
Senior - BHPian

Lovely car jai, take good care of her . The roof carrier looks like it was designed specifically for the car !
@stanher: Arre boss, of course I only meant I'll get pictures !! KahAn apna aisA naseeb ?

Last edited by SuperSelect : 22nd February 2009 at 14:13.
Old 22nd February 2009, 14:32   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Picked up my first standard car, a 1961 Standard Pennant last week in Bangalore. Inspite of a history of 3 owners this car surprisingly has some original parts like the "Made in England" wiper blades, keys and other small bits.
Wow, congrats, jai!!!

Welcome to the Standard fans' club!

You've struck a solid deal for sure!! The car is absoultely lovely!!
I really envy you that you've got the original wipers and keys with it!
And the rear window glass beading looks far better shape than mine!
'also seems to have a period roof-rack!

I just showed the pics. to my mom and told her I wished they'd picked up a similar car, if not a Herald in those days!

I hope you'll be retaining the regn. (although its actually an 80s one- does it say in the RC where the car originally was from?)

Any interior pics. as well??
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:49   #726
BHPian

Hi Jai,

Congrats for your first Standard car! I know I am being rude, but the Pennant was never my favorite. Nonetheless, your car looks fab and original, which is very, very good.

As promised, these are a few behind-the-scenes snaps of my Herald, when it was being prepared for the rally on 8th Feb '09 at Jaipur. There are some glaring non-original items in the car, due to which I was very apprehensive of posting these pictures here. But since this is a true-blue Standard thread, I thought of doing it. Here go the captions for the following pics:
(1) At my upholsterer, who is my last-minute angel during such events! I thankfully got the closest shade of beige carpet to go with my seats. You can see the home-made dash in the process of being re-cladded. Another crazy thing I resorted to was the horn-button logo from another car.

(2) I found the bright red Herald contrasting interestingly with the surrounding, so clicked this pic!

(3) At my workshop backyard... it was a gruelling exercise to install the custom-made toughened glass windows and windshield. These are my factory workers (not car-mechanics!) trying their best to get things moving, a day before the rally.

(4) This was my imagination. I looked up the net for a font that was closest to the 'Herald'. This matched to quite an extent. Got these stickers made last minute. Finalising the locations to put these was a challenge. The brass-cast horse was done in the late '70s, by a previous owner, a Rajput.

(5) At the rally venue right before the flag-off ceremony. The dash doesn't look all that bad, does it? The ashtray was replaced by a piece of PU polished wood bearing one of the 'Herald' stickers. Was happy with the neat interiors eventually.

(6) That's me behind the wheel. This was indeed a remarkable day for me and my Herald. We were celebrities and it was crazy to find the press clicking us endlessly at traffic lights. I did give a couple of interviews as well!

(7) With the two loves of my life! My wife and my Herald...

(8) I believe there's something unique about the Herald. It is possibly the world's most compact four-seater convertible ever built. All four of us were very comfortable all throughout the 60 km rally route.

(9) Relaxing after the rally... In the parking lot with our other cars.

(10) It was heartening to see my modest little Herald share print space on Jaipur Times with such prominent models. See if you can read the caption "Musical Ride" next to the pic!

Hope you enjoy the pics...

Vikas
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-001.jpg  

Standard cars in India-002.jpg  

Standard cars in India-003.jpg  

Standard cars in India-004.jpg  

Standard cars in India-005.jpg  

Standard cars in India-006.jpg  

Standard cars in India-007.jpg  

Standard cars in India-008.jpg  

Standard cars in India-009.jpg  

Standard cars in India-010.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2009, 20:00   #727
BHPian

Quote:

This is natural justice I feel when a new entrant acquires such a clean car. Congrats Jai.

Okay folks, to avoid back-to-back posts (and since the post count doesn't matter much to me in any case) here is a rather clean Herald at todays HMCI Carnival (Auto Jumble) here in Delhi. She's been in regular use uptil now by the first owner, a senior police officer, and despite a few body flaws that are showing up in the pictures is actually quite clean - can be spruced up quite easily. And the bonnet is not properly latched down!! I believe she's a good runner too. Recently acquired by the present owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald.jpg  

Standard cars in India-herald-back.jpg  

Standard cars in India-herald-110.jpg  

Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:24   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
(1) At my upholsterer, who is my last-minute angel during such events! I thankfully got the closest shade of beige carpet to go with my seats. You can see the home-made dash in the process of being re-cladded. Another crazy thing I resorted to was the horn-button logo from another car.
This happens to be from a Standard 10/Pennant!!
I'm soooooo GLAD that you've got it, however! I've been looking for this one for my Pennant since ages! I'll be too happy to swap it with a correct Herald horn-button among the ones I have!

Quote:
(3) At my workshop backyard... it was a gruelling exercise to install the custom-made toughened glass windows and windshield. These are my factory workers (not car-mechanics!) trying their best to get things moving, a day before the rally.
Wow, I can't believe they are "home-made"! They look quite authentic from a distance atleast! Did you get the windshield made at your factory? If I might ask, what was the cost like?

@Prabal: Nice Herald, bodywork and chrome parts just need a little TLC! 'hope the present owner sorts it out. Glad to FINALLY see a Standard, especially a Herald! making it's presence in one of your local rallies! I was under the impression they've virutally dried up in the north!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd February 2009 at 21:27.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:07   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(10) It was heartening to see my modest little Herald share print space on Jaipur Times with such prominent models. See if you can read the caption "Musical Ride" next to the pic!

Hope you enjoy the pics...

Vikas
Great going Vikas. Nice to see a Herald sharing space with the white Rolls! Any more pics of that car?
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:41   #730

Greetings.

A big hello to each and every one at Team - BHP and BHPIANS... This is Shashi fm B,lore. recently got my self registered. need some inputs on the Standard Super 10 car, it's a 1956 model and i wanted to buy. need your inputs... please reply!
Many Thanks
Shashi.
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:07   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharan2786 View Post
Greetings.

A big hello to each and every one at Team - BHP and BHPIANS... This is Shashi fm B,lore. recently got my self registered. need some inputs on the Standard Super 10 car, it's a 1956 model and i wanted to buy. need your inputs... please reply!
Many Thanks
Shashi.
Greetings Shashi, welcome aboard.

Before you start, do go through the announcements section.

Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements

What inputs would you like regarding the Super 10? I myself own 2 similar vehicles, a 57 and 60 model. They are fun to drive, and reliable as daily runners if properly maintained. Have you located a vehicle? If so, what is the condition? Photos will always help.

Spares are increasingly difficult to source locally, though the Standard Motor Club in Uk provides excellent support.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:46   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Jai3033, Lovely car man.
Only fifteen minutes stop on a 350 Kms run?
Your Std Pennant should definitely be in top condition.
Well, Do write a travelogue on the trip from Bangalore to Madras.
The car seems to be very well maintained by the previous owner.

Photos too are excellent.

Last edited by stampro : 26th February 2009 at 10:50.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:46   #733
BHPian

Yet another (Badly done up with Fiat rear lights) Standard Herald on this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1189876
Old 26th February 2009, 14:57   #734
BHPian

Quote:

(8) I believe there's something unique about the Herald. It is possibly the world's most compact four-seater convertible ever built. All four of us were very comfortable all throughout the 60 km rally route.
Photo Number 8 is Super.
The car and the Backdrop really merges well.
Even Mr. Rudra would appreciate
Nice Car Nice Rally (60Kms)
Old 26th February 2009, 15:03   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post

She's been in regular use uptil now by the first owner, a senior police officer, quite clean
Nice car Prabal.I wonder who the present owner (lucky) is?

At Stanher: Herald seems to look beautiful in all colours, be it black,red,blue or white. I love it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks