Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:24   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems to be a good car. Want to see engine bay photographs also. Maybe Karl and Shyam can have the final word but I do not see any difference in wheel rims. There seems to be corrosion behind the front right wheel. Another thing is that the fenders, especially front fenders tendto get bulged. In this car both fenders are bulged, check for accidental damage not repaired properly. Also front door hinges may not be in alignment, leading to bulging fenders.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:50   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
This seems to be a good car. Want to see engine bay photographs also. Maybe Karl and Shyam can have the final word but I do not see any difference in wheel rims. There seems to be corrosion behind the front right wheel. Another thing is that the fenders, especially front fenders tendto get bulged. In this car both fenders are bulged, check for accidental damage not repaired properly. Also front door hinges may not be in alignment, leading to bulging fenders.
There were some very minor changes in wheel rims (like drum ventilation slots) between 10, Herald, Gazel, Im sure Shyam can tell us the details, I cannot.

The bluging was not limited to only the front fenders, it even spreads to doors, especially front. My car suffers from these issues to a fair extent. Engines were a very hardly and long lasting affair, they rarely give trouble. Steering box, clutch and brake master cylinder is a nuisance.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:36   #783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
If it is "multi owner, not original parts,No RC book" car Rs 3000 to Rs 20000.

If it is "single owner, original condition,original RC book" :upto Rs200000.

(Wheel rims expect left front are not original.)
No offence stampro, but the above prices of 3k and 2L quoted IMHO are too low and too high respectively!

Unless it was typo for some other figure, no way can you get this car (or a similar one) for 3000!! I bet not even Mr. Behram Dhabhar could manage it!
You couldn't even get the engine for that much now! Gone are those days when such cars could picked up for that much in a jiffy! If only I had grown up then......:sigh:

And 2L is way too high for a car like this even if pristine.

The wheel rims on this car all look identical to me.

Trammway, quite a nice car! A bit rough but still quite original, from what I can make out. 'just missing one more pair of side-trims, under the doors, along the running boards. It'll look great in two-tone!

You could start with an offer of 25-30k. You'll also need to bear in mind your budget and/or how you want the car to turn out.
BTW, just out of curiosity, what regn. does this car have? 'cant make out in the photos....is it an original Madras state one (MS/MD?) or a later one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There were some very minor changes in wheel rims (like drum ventilation slots) between 10, Herald, Gazel, Im sure Shyam can tell us the details, I cannot.
The 10 and Herald basically had the same kind of wheel rims, from my observations. On both these models, the drum ventilation slots are wide enough for you to put atleast your little finger through.
Only these were initially made in England, atleast until the early Heralds, after which they were locally made (with the "MADE IN INDIA" stamp on them) On some of the Pennant and Companion rims (as on mine) they have "HD" stamped on them, which stands for Heavy duty, and originally intended for estate-like vehicles among the 10/Herald in the UK.
Maybe these were made "standard" on all cars in the Indian market.

Name:  penrim.JPG
Views: 1330
Size:  17.3 KB

The Gazel rim, on the other hand, had very narrowed drum ventilation slots, more like slits. It might have been made so just as a styling change, having appeared on some of the early Triumph Spitfire cars in the UK.

Standard cars in India-gazel-rim.jpg

The rest of the rim was the same though.

OT: Is the Lambretta beside the car also the same person's??

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd April 2009 at 16:44.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:43   #784
BHPian

Quote:
The bluging was not limited to only the front fenders, it even spreads to doors, especially front. My car suffers from these issues to a fair extent. Engines were a very hardly and long lasting affair, they rarely give trouble. Steering box, clutch and brake master cylinder is a nuisance.
apologies in advance, could'nt resist it........

Cheers

Aditya
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:43   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Engines were a very hardly and long lasting affair, they rarely give trouble. Steering box, clutch and brake master cylinder is a nuisance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
apologies in advance, could'nt resist it........
Apology accepted

I of course meant to say engines were very hardy and long lasting. Standard engines much earlier were extensively used in varied European marques, the most famous being SS. I believe they made an appearance in some Invictas and Railtons as well, before they moved on to Meadows units.
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:02   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

On the subject of wheel rims, those are not ventilation slots, they are required for manufacturing purpose. They relieve the pressure between the disc and rim, thereby reducing press size and therefore capital investment. The drums do not really get hot, there is really not much of a need to cool them. The car is not so fast that the brakes cannot stop it.

I like the Standard 10 essentially for its engine performance and sound, and the "click click" of the gear lever when you change gears slowly. The reverse is a true relevation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:17   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
On the subject of wheel rims, those are not ventilation slots, they are required for manufacturing purpose. They relieve the pressure between the disc and rim, thereby reducing press size and therefore capital investment. The drums do not really get hot, there is really not much of a need to cool them. The car is not so fast that the brakes cannot stop it.

I like the Standard 10 essentially for its engine performance and sound, and the "click click" of the gear lever when you change gears slowly. The reverse is a true relevation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
That was informative about the wheel rims, thank you. I suppose it explains how over the years Fiat drums lost their cooling fins too, probably from necessity of value engineering.

The click-click of the gear lever is indeed charming, fortunately in my car it is as crisp as ever. I spent the first week driving my by car pushing it out of my garage as I didn't know about the reverse engagement. I was all of 16 back then.

Does anyone recall if the Pennant was offered with pull-starter system? My older Super 10 has it, my Pennant does not. Wondering if it was altered at some point.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:19   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apology accepted

I of course meant to say engines were very hardy and long lasting. Standard engines much earlier were extensively used in varied European marques, the most famous being SS. I believe they made an appearance in some Invictas and Railtons as well, before they moved on to Meadows units.
I didn't believe when the owner of the car stated it gives 17kmpl mileage. Is that true ? He also said this car's engine is never been opened and all papers are intact to current.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:21   #789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I didn't believe when the owner of the car stated it gives 17kmpl mileage. Is that true ? He also said this car's engine is never been opened and all papers are intact to current.
If driven very carefully just with the intent of extracting maximum milage, I can believe that milage figure, but dont expect it real time. If papers are up to date, that's good. If engine is still unopened that means its probably time to open it
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:23   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OT: Is the Lambretta beside the car also the same person's??
How Stupid I'm looking now... I didn't realize there was a Lambretta standing next to it. I will attempt to visit the person again next week, let me see if I'm lucky enough to get it.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:28   #791
BHPian

Quote:
How Stupid I'm looking now... I didn't realize there was a Lambretta standing next to it. I will attempt to visit the person again next week, let me see if I'm lucky enough to get it.
Man, you're not the only one feeling stupid! I was so busy looking at the car, did not see the scooter! Eagle eyes Stanher spotted it though! Do try to get some pics of it...can't make out much except that it's a LI 150 Series 2, which is really obvious.
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:09   #792
BHPian

Both

Quote:
... I didn't realize there was a Lambretta standing next to it. I will attempt to visit the person again next week, let me see if I'm lucky enough to get it.
Hey tramm, buy both Standard and Lamby.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:34   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Hey tramm, buy both Standard and Lamby.
I will hope he sell one of them to me. Anyway, I didnt touched the lamby while taking the pictures of the car, but never realized that is another beauty standing at his house.

I think lambretta is the easiest vehicle for restorers. I have seen many shops in Chennai even stocks the parts. Yesterday found a shop in Chennai have IPL pistons, last week in another shop with front grill and few other parts.
Old 4th April 2009, 12:23   #794
BHPian

Quote:
I will hope he sell one of them to me.

I think lambretta is the easiest vehicle for restorers. I have seen many shops in Chennai even stocks the parts. Yesterday found a shop in Chennai have IPL pistons, last week in another shop with front grill and few other parts.
Do you see spares for Standard car also at Chennai?
There is a need for wheel cylinder of Standard 10.
Old 4th April 2009, 15:15   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,

I once read a quote "If one door closes, another opens!" and this is what seems to have happened in my case! No sooner did I reconcile myself to selling my '62 Herald that I was fortunate to finalise the deal on another "StanHer"- this time a '65 mk1!!

Standard cars in India-img_2785.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_2786.jpg

Standard cars in India-whitemk1-1.jpg

'got this baby last week. I'd been seeing it junking away in a corner of a local mechanic garage for the last 2 years, and was always told it wasn't for sale. And so I too eventually ignored it. Until I happened to get the same car through a friend who was close to the owner.

It appears to have been quite a complete car, but suffered some extent of neglect! But thankfully still very much restorable. Plus point is I have more or less all the cosmetic bits missing on it.
The Standard 10 horn button you see on it (which I'd earlier badly wanted) now rightfully adorns my Standard Pennant!
And I've got an original one for this.

Incidentally, with a little prodding, I discovered the original red rexine rear seat intact under the present cloth one, which I took off! 'not sure if it's still intact on the other seats.

Standard cars in India-img_2787.jpg

And believe it or not, for a car that looks the way this one does, she appears mechanically quite fit- 'had the engine started and idled briefly a day after I bought it, and it's so silent with no vibrations etc., as though the car's a regular runner! Quite remarkable for a car that's been laid up so long!
However, it's been fitted with a Fiat carb. (albeit with the original air-cleaner in place.)

Standard cars in India-img_2782.jpg

Only the car couldn't be driven as yet, as the brakes weren't working with the master cylinder itself missing- turns out the mechs. in the garage where it lay had tried to work on it, but maybe because they couldn't find replacement parts, got vexed up and threw away the m.cyl. somewhere, misplacing it!

Luckily my mech. has managed to find one in the local scrap market, and got a new kit installed (although I plan to install it with a better one from abroad, as the local kits are not too reliable!)

The car is parked outside his house for the time-being. 'got a new esteem tarp to cover it with.

It'll be atleast a few months until I'm in a position to begin work on it (I still have my Companion to attend to, which I haven't started yet either!)
So planning to have it just mechanically and a little bodily (the left door is weak on one hinge!) fit, during which I'll have to just have it around with the patina look ('reminded of Karl and his '56 fiat! )

More pics. later (takes too long to upload, plus some of them exceed the size limit, requiring cropping and cropping!)

Most Viewed