Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 15:26   #796
BHPian

Congratulations Shyam on the new car....looks nice

get it done nicely and give it to me......

cheeeeeeeeeeeers
Old 4th April 2009, 16:36   #797
BHPian

Nice find

Nice find Stanher.

With the engine being in good condition half the work is done.

Appears, you bought the car for the Horn button most importantly.
The previous owner has tried something peculiar on the headlight or is it the rings are missing?

As you have written the brake MC is missing but the clutch MC in intact.

One thing about Standard cars is that they have a hydraulic clutch while Padmini and Maruti have mechanical cable to activate clutch.

Was it for smoothness or for Larger clutch plate?

The colour is good.
Write more on it as it comes good like your pennant.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:03   #798
Senior - BHPian

Aaah at last !
Stanher without a stanher was quite an incomplete stanher ! . Great find buddy, your handle sounds better now !!
Old 5th April 2009, 01:00   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your comments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Appears, you bought the car for the Horn button most importantly.
The previous owner has tried something peculiar on the headlight or is it the rings are missing?
I guess you are right- more like I got the car in tow with the horn-button! In fact at one point I had longed more for the latter than the car!
I'd even offered the garage guy the correct horn-button in exchange for this one......but he refused, saying that the owner already knows which one is in his car, so he may question us if we switched without his knowledge and so on and so forth!
Here it is now, fitted on my Pennant! 'need one more for my Companion......so now 'need to pursue one more guy to part with it on his herald! Vikas (love_herald), if you please.....!

Standard cars in India-img_2811.jpg

And this should answer your question about the missing headlamp rings- 'finally uploaded this photo after cropping it heavily!
Unfortunately both the rings have cracks on them, and are of no use! Luckily I have 2 good spare ones at home!
Also note the petrol tank filler mod, which I plan to rectify too.

Standard cars in India-img_2783.jpg

The stepney tyre inside was a gone case, and had it off the rim (which I'm getting scraped and coated with zinc oxide primer on the inside only, before fitting another tyre) the day I got the car. 'also replaced the front left rim with the radial tyre, with a normal crossply one. 'improved the frontal stance of the car (and presumably even handling) instantly!
Quote:
One thing about Standard cars is that they have a hydraulic clutch while Padmini and Maruti have mechanical cable to activate clutch.

Was it for smoothness or for Larger clutch plate?
Many of the older cars had mechanical clutches. They were said to be heavier in application than the hydraulic one, which was fitted to many 50s and 60s British cars.

Quote:
The colour is good.
Write more on it as it comes good like your pennant.
Yes while Heralds do look good in any colour, I plan to not retain the white as, firstly too many Herlads have been seen in white! Plus, it, being again too common on most older cars, especially fiats, is likely to get a Herald confused with one by a casual car-gazer!

All the same, I want the interior to be in red only. So only 2 other choices- black (which is a no-no for too high maintenance) and phantom grey, another original Herald colour, and which I'm more inclined towards. Especially having seen the 'Dharampur 6' Herald in that colour!

Standard cars in India-img_0294.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 5th April 2009 at 01:07.
Old 5th April 2009, 07:35   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Also note the petrol tank filler mod, which I plan to rectify too.

Many of the older cars had mechanical clutches. They were said to be heavier in application than the hydraulic one, which was fitted to many 50s and 60s British cars.

Especially having seen the 'Dharampur 6' Herald in that colour!
1. The boot has to be opened to fill the petrol tank?

2. Anyway Hydraulic clutches of Standard cars gives the smoothest feeling and greater control in inching the vehicle.

3. On seeing Dharampur's Herald I wish some manufacturer starts production of Herald again with a mpfi, turbocharged engine and latest suspension.

(One Kajah from Kerala was doing improvisation on a contessa)

Last edited by stampro : 5th April 2009 at 07:36.
Old 5th April 2009, 08:49   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
1. The boot has to be opened to fill the petrol tank?
Yes of course. It's a common mod done on many Heralds and Gazels, probably due to the original petrol filler lids going missing (and also theft of petrol I'm told)- we had the original one (without lock, with a stud in the centre) on our Gazel stolen/missing around 1987, after which my father replaced it with a locking type.

Quote:
3. On seeing Dharampur's Herald I wish some manufacturer starts production of Herald again with a mpfi, turbocharged engine and latest suspension.
Hmm........the flip side of that is we would probably be deluged with plastic door handles and dashboards replacing chrome/metal ones, and "maruti" type steering wheels, as Amby owners are!
Old 7th April 2009, 10:53   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a freshly restored 30s Standard Avon that made an appearance at recent events in Jodhpur as well as Bombay, owned by Nitin Dossa. Note the car is doing 30 miles an hour stationary

More can be read about the car prior to restoration here.

16Hp Avon in India
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-01.jpg  

Standard cars in India-03.jpg  

Standard cars in India-04.jpg  

Standard cars in India-05.jpg  

Standard cars in India-02.jpg  

Old 7th April 2009, 19:15   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a freshly restored 30s Standard Avon that made an appearance at recent events in Jodhpur as well as Bombay, owned by Nitin Dossa. Note the car is doing 30 miles an hour stationary

More can be read about the car prior to restoration here.

16Hp Avon in India

So this is a 16HP after all, as I'd assumed in my post here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1218715-post21.html

The link you've given of the car before, for some reason makes me think that despite being in an obvious state of disrepair then (and 'restored' now) she somehow looked more true, or am I missing something here? Which dashboard is correct, the old one in the link or the one now in the recent rally pix? The present definitely helps her go faster at least!
Old 9th April 2009, 20:38   #804
BHPian

Attached are some snaps of the Mark3 that I picked up over a year ago (some before photos are on the site as well). The mechanicals have been fixed, the car runs well and the brakes fixed, the suspension is also taken care of. The interiors are completely shot and will have to be completely redone. Was planning on starting the cosmetics and would need advice on the restoration and parts. The work has been going at a very slow pace and will continue the same way.

1)Does anyone know the correct color code for this bottle green color and what a match would be?
2)What color interiors went with this color car (seat colors, roof, dash)
3)What color/wood is the dash? Would a one be available? Does someone have a template of one if a new is not available? Is the one shown on lPost #638 appropriate color and all the dials
4)Is the gear know the correct one
5)Missing left cowl and indicator
6)Missing horn button,
7)Hub caps
8)Glove box
9)What else looks out of the ordinary

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-2.jpg  

Standard cars in India-3.jpg  

Old 10th April 2009, 01:34   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Vrushant,

Glad to see some newer pics. of your car at last!

'will do my best to help you out....answers to ur qs.:

1) The correct name (as mentioned in the sales brochures for mk3) is CONIFER GREEN.
The name is obviously not used in present day catalogues available.
You'd need to refer to catalogues of various paint cos. to find the correct matching shade. I'm sure you can still get it.

2) Interior- only seats, for this colour, would've been red. But from my knowledge, for mk3 they came in black only. Seats had a vertical stitch pattern, as seen in this other mk3 in the same colour I know of here (sadly junked away, must've fallen to bits by now!)

Standard cars in India-junkmk302.jpg

3) Dash is supposed to be plywood-made, panelled with wood-veneer- your car thankfully seems to have retained it! Yet, as long as all the original guages etc. are intact (which again thankfully, are so on your car), it can be easily remade, being made of plywood.
If still needs to be clearer, you can compare with this pic. of the above mk3's dash, although far from better in condition!
Only one dash switch (Headlamp I think) at the top left isn't original on both cars.

Standard cars in India-junkmk301.jpg

Unfortunately, I had better pic.s of various mk2 and mk3 dashboards, which I lost eventually, as I shifted photos between various online albums and when I had to format my PC!

Karl would still be having some that he could share with you, I'm sure.

4) The original gear knob would be a round, plain black one, which also appeard on the Standard Gazel, albeit with a different (longer) gear lever.

5) Karl did once tell me he had 2 indicator+Headlamp cowls bought brand new from an ex-dealer in Pune- including one in the same colour as your car!

6) Horn button can easily be sourced from the UK, all the more easy for you being in the US. Still, if you're a bit more particular, I have a few of the correct ones for this model (of lower quality than the earlier ones) So you can have one.

7) Hubcaps- can be far more easily sourced from the UK again! The mk3 had the "dimpled" hubcaps like the UK Heralds, unlike the plain, convex ones (Amby type) on the earlier Indian ones. So these can still be had brand new from Triumph spares sites like Canley Classics - Welcome to Canley's Online !, but would be quite expensive.
Equally good, 2nd hand/used ones can be had from Quiller Triumph

8) Glovebox- some cars in India came with metal ones, some in cardboard (relatively delicate) If you have the cardboard one intact, you can fabricate a replica in fibreglass, which will make it last far longer.

9) Is the indicator switch lever (right side of steering column) missing too? Again, better get brand new or good used ones from the UK. The Indian-made mk3 and Gazel cars had slightly shorter ones than the ones on UK-made Heralds.......but otherwise pretty much the same. The latter are more reliable quality-wise and more easily available.

Also inner door-locking and window-winding handles- prone to breaking off on rough use. Again, get new or good used ones thru the above UK sites.

I also think, in the earlier pics. taken by Karl, your car was missing one rear (right?) door handle.
Difficult to source in the UK, as its a non-locking type for the right, found only on 4-door Heralds (UK-Heralds were all 2-doors only)
I had 4 taken from a scrapped mk3, many years ago. They were unfortunately all lost (among many other things!) when we shifted house a few years ago!
So best alternative is to look for one that came on "export" models (LHD), viz. US. There is a group on yahoo for Herald enthusiasts worldwide, inc. some in the US who could help you out well with spares etc.:

triumph_herald : Triumph Herald Enthusiasts

Feel free to ask any more help. Also any more pics. (esp. rear) of your car?

Last edited by Stanher : 10th April 2009 at 01:48.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:13   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Attached are some snaps of the Mark3 that I picked up over a year ago.
Congrats Vru, you gave the car a new lease on life. She would never have seen the light of day otherwise.

Take a sample of the current paint and match that as close as you can. Don't waste your time researching correct codes and manufacturers, things were different in India in the 70s - each batch had a difference in colour colour. For a sample portion carry the driver side headlamp surround. The other missing side I shall provide you.

Remind me on sunday to post pictures of other Mk 3s I have seen, we should get an idea of interior patterns from there. I think I have some brochure scans as well.

All the best for the resto.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:36   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys - is the green Herald MRD 6xxx something? It seems so. It may be Hafiz Vakil's car. Is it a 1969 model 4 door? Please give the car number, if yes, it is great.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th April 2009, 15:48   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hey guys - is the green Herald MRD 6xxx something? It seems so. It may be Hafiz Vakil's car. Is it a 1969 model 4 door? Please give the car number, if yes, it is great.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram, the car is Pune regd, MHU, I think 6769. It is indeed a 4 door.
Old 14th April 2009, 06:05   #809
BHPian

Mark 3

Thanks Shyam for the info, am looking into the hub caps but think it may be a hassle to get it shipped here and then to Pune may have to settle for the amby ones. The seats seem to be intact if you look in the picture but really are not but are Black and seem to have the correct pattern (please correct me if I am wrong). The suspension does not appear to be done correctly sine the car seems to be tilted to the left. The fuel cap is missing as well. The indicators levers are missing. Attached are some more pictures more feedback will be extreemly helpful.
Karl will have the color matched up the way you suggested. If I may bother you with a favour to see the car personally and give your comments since I would like to get some expert advice on the actual car. Would also appreciate feedback on the plymouth (it gets put in the garage end of April). I can have the car and keys available for you to test out. I have 2 months to do as much work as possible before it gets on hold for another 4 months. The plan is to start the beading work on both cars simultaneously.
The car is running strong and the mechanic is getting it run in well and seems to need a new tank.
I really have to thank Shreeram for this find if you are watching the car is turning up quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-heraldback.jpg  

Standard cars in India-herald2.jpg  

Standard cars in India-herald3.jpg  

Standard cars in India-herald4.jpg  

Old 14th April 2009, 09:58   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Attached are some more pictures more feedback will be extreemly helpful. Karl will have the color matched up the way you suggested. If I may bother you with a favour to see the car personally and give your comments since I would like to get some expert advice on the actual car. Would also appreciate feedback on the plymouth (it gets put in the garage end of April). I can have the car and keys available for you to test out
Sure, I'll check it out this weekend if I can, especially itching to see the Plymouth up close. I must say the Herald is looking much cleaner than I anticipated. Pune weather is really remarkable and very kind on these cars, especially these Heralds which were offered with no rust protection!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks