Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 09:43   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Thanks Shyam for the info, am looking into the hub caps but think it may be a hassle to get it shipped here and then to Pune may have to settle for the amby ones.
I don't think they'll be a hassle at all! If you're not coming back home for good yet, ie. if you're still making trips on vacation, try and get 2 at a time, you can easily carry them in your luggage!

Quote:
The seats seem to be intact if you look in the picture but really are not but are Black and seem to have the correct pattern (please correct me if I am wrong).
With no full pics. of the seats I'd find it difficult to say- but I guess the rear seat is incorrectly stitched (has vertical stitches right upto the top)
BTW, they look green in colour to me??

Quote:
The suspension does not appear to be done correctly sine the car seems to be tilted to the left.
I recall the car was tilted a little to the left when it was laid up. Check for broken/sagging rear leaf-springs or (worst case) a bend/crack in the front cross-member of the chassis where the susp. sits.

Quote:
The fuel cap is missing as well. The indicators levers are missing.
All available brand-new from Canley Classics - Welcome to Canley's Online !, OR even on ebay.
There was this locking type fuel cap available with a buy-it-now option, I think it still is available.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:31   #812
BHPian

Check this out - Standard Herald for sale in bangalore.

standrad herald - Bangalore - Cars
Old 15th April 2009, 23:26   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Check this out - Standard Herald for sale in bangalore.

standrad herald - Bangalore - Cars
A sheer disappointment, to say the least! Although I'm a purist.

Be warned though- that is NOT a '62 Herald, going by the vent on the bonnet and dash- would be a '64-65 model. And obviously not an original convertible either. Same about those wheels (any idea what they came from??)

And the less said about the price (since we've already been through this before!), the better!
Old 15th April 2009, 23:34   #814

Now That is a Good Car to Start off with if you want to have a Hot Rod in yout Garage!!!
Old 15th April 2009, 23:51   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Now That is a Good Car to Start off with if you want to have a Hot Rod in yout Garage!!!
You could be right....But what about the price, Cy?? Doesn't that bring out favourite remark "tell him to go jump off a..." ??
Old 16th April 2009, 14:03   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You could be right....But what about the price, Cy?? Doesn't that bring out favourite remark "tell him to go jump off a..." ??
Building a RAT ROD costs a bomb here with the available resources..Let alone a RETRO Street rod..The finished car consumes 5 - 10 times the money of the original car anyways..

Frankly speaking, the herald chassis / drivetrain can only handle so much!! anything more and the thing BREAKS!!

The condition and rigidity of the chassis in this particular vehicle is questionable.. Those wheels would have taken its toll on the suspension anyways...

Shyam,

Originality is not such a high priority for in build street rods anyways - although a lot of them TRY to get the cosmetics etc right where possible.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:07   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Shyam,

Originality is not such a high priority for in build street rods anyways - although a lot of them TRY to get the cosmetics etc right where possible.
'understood mate! Speaking of which, how's your Herald coming along?? No report from you in this thread after your last mention of the car long ago....is it done yet?? Any pics. (even if not updated as long as its a StanHer! )
Old 17th April 2009, 11:59   #818
Senior - BHPian

I felt that the Standard thread sorely needed a change in discussion. So I attach a pic of a Standard Vanguard.
Back of the picture says
" Gulshan and Arnita? Arnionite on Standard Vanguard at Tardeo Oct 1955"
The writing is bad, second name cannot be read clearly.
Can any Parsi in Mumbai throw a light on who these presumably sisters were?
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-vanguard.jpg  

Old 17th April 2009, 12:17   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I felt that the Standard thread sorely needed a change in discussion. So I attach a pic of a Standard Vanguard.
Thats a pretty picture

Car appears to be a Phase 1 Vanguard. Car would have been fairly new then. More information here

Photos Page

Thanks Harit, keep 'em coming!
Old 17th April 2009, 16:08   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

BMZ6754 rings a bell. This car used to be in Dadar Parsi Colony when I was in school during the 60s and 70s. It was brown in colour.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 5th May 2009, 10:53   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

A Pennant is up for grabs here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1288626-post30.html
Old 7th May 2009, 23:07   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I've just received an update on this car from Predatorwheelz who had checked it out this evening- turns out, that the car actually does have papers! So it's good news to someone who is keen to buy it!

The scrapguy is asking a rather high (IMHO) price for it though. But can be negotiated.

However, if God forbid, it is ultimately not saved, I've planned out the parts I'd need from it.
Old 8th May 2009, 07:54   #823
Senior - BHPian

Standard in Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I've just received an update on this car from Predatorwheelz who had checked it out this evening- turns out, that the car actually does have papers! So it's good news to someone who is keen to buy it!

The scrapguy is asking a rather high (IMHO) price for it though. But can be negotiated.

However, if God forbid, it is ultimately not saved, I've planned out the parts I'd need from it.
Yes, I checked out the car yesterday. Except for the tyres (wreck) and battery (gone), the car is in surprisingly good condition. All cosmetic parts are intact, mechanicals dusty but sound. No significant rust areas at all.

Would not cost much to put this car back on the road, from a restoration point of view. As I told Stanher yesterday, I can negotiate both for the parts, as well as the car as a whole, But personally, I think its too good an example to be broken down. Someone, please save this car! I'm ready to help out in whatever way needed.

BTW, I'm going again today to see the papers. Will take a few photos then.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:33   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
BTW, I'm going again today to see the papers. Will take a few photos then.
So to continue, a very hot morning and a spate of scheduled meetings could not deter me from slipping out of office (giving the lamest of excuses) and driving over to the scrapperguy. Saw the car in broad daylight today, and I stand by what I said earlier about its physical condition.

Also saw the papers. Surprisingly, its tax paid till 2002, which means the penalty & arrear wont work out to be too much. Checked the existence of both badges (Standard UK and India) under the hood, and tallied with the RC. 100pct authentic!

Here's asking Standard Enthusiasts on the forum to buy the car. It doesnt deserve to be scrapped. Check out the photos:

(For obvious reasons, I've blanked out the reg and owner details)
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-dsc02593-edited.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02594.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02595.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02596.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02597.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02599-edited.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02601.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02602.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02603.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02598-edited.jpg  

Old 9th May 2009, 08:50   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Also saw the papers. Surprisingly, its tax paid till 2002, which means the penalty & arrear wont work out to be too much. Checked the existence of both badges (Standard UK and India) under the hood, and tallied with the RC. 100pct authentic!

Here's asking Standard Enthusiasts on the forum to buy the car. It doesnt deserve to be scrapped.
Thanks for the trouble you've taken for the extra pics.!

'looks like quite a complete car, barring a few cosmetics. The dash, though complete, has sadly been modified with an amp meter cut into it at the RH corner, just like mine....contrary to what I'd hoped!

The 2 large meters are original though.

Steering wheel looks original but missing the characteristic steel trims on either spoke. 'wonder why even the horn-button cavity has been covered up with tape though!

Original air-filter also is intact. I guess he'd taken it off when the car brought there and then refitted it?

That isn't the tax btw, but the fitness renewed until 2002, which of course means, as you say, not much of penalty to renew again and even NOC, if the buyer outside WB chooses, can be issued.

You're right, car is too good to be lost! And they are quite rare now.

I hope Behram Dhabhar is seeing this!! SOMEBODY get his attention to this ASAP!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks