Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 15:59   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Woooowie!! LOVELY shot!! Indeed a superb car! This is the last of the mk2 with the different style roof. Also sporting an accessory(?) clumsy-looking chrome bumper (that would eventually rust out, seen these on a few heralds)

Thanks karl and sabine!
Old 11th July 2009, 20:42   #872
Senior - BHPian

that's a lovely piece of machine. the whitewall and the chrome bumpers makes it more classy. i see a fold on the roof of some sort, is it original??
Old 11th July 2009, 21:12   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
that's a lovely piece of machine. the whitewall and the chrome bumpers makes it more classy. i see a fold on the roof of some sort, is it original??
Uh, sorry but I dont see any (you're referring to the Herald, right?)

That is just a reflection on the roof/body.
Old 11th July 2009, 22:30   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A treat especially for Shyam.

This superb period photo of a Chandigarh registered Mk 2 Herald and matching Amby was shared by sabinesnubbing

Attachment 157288
The picture looks so beautiful Karl - Thanks. Now I really really want a Herald !
Old 11th July 2009, 23:13   #875
BHPian

what car is in front of both is it an chevy nova
Old 12th July 2009, 00:13   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Companion photo posted by Srisha Bangalore has similarities with Vanguard estate of Mr Ananth.The first and last window atleast.
The curve of the last window is unmistakable or can I trust my eyes?
Wow now this is one Standard I would love to own a Vanguard or Companion van. Did Standard come out with any Woodies like Morris?
Old 12th July 2009, 13:44   #877
Distinguished - BHPian

A rather tired early ('61-62) mk1 Herald spotted in Madras. Seems nearly complete.
Anyone from there who could identify the area?

Standard cars in India-mk1madras.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk1madras2.jpg

Link to above pics:

Herald on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 17th July 2009, 00:46   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice old pic. of a Church in Coonoor (near Ooty) taken in the 70s. Cars on the right (circled) seem to be an early vanguard and a Herald behind it.

Standard cars in India-coonoor73.jpg

Link to album:

Anglican Church Coonoor 1970's on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also happened to go through my own flickr album that has most of my old Yahoo photos, and found many pics. that I thought were lost- including some of a mk2 Herald and mk2 Gazel owned by a friend who was in Bangalore, later moved to the US (may be still there)

Standard cars in India-hergaz02.jpg

Standard cars in India-hergaz01.jpg

I'd last seen these cars in Jan '07 when I went to Bangalore.

He also had a mk1 Herald, that I'd posted here earlier. The mk2, I was told, had been with the Khodays' for some time; (lying unused) although wasn't their own car, before my friend bought it and did it up.

But being a busy techie, he unfortunately didnt have sufficient time to maintain them, nor the space. He eventaully rented out this open plot opposite his house to park them temporarily.
Later, he was in the process of going to the US. So he tried hard to sell off all his cars (at prices which would be considered throwaway now!) but to no avail!
Unfortunately again, he never knew about team bhp then either.

I had posted pics. of his other herald for sale and even had a few people on tbhp who were interested. But try as I did, couldn't get a reply from him!

Finally one day, he emailed me saying that he was in the US, and that he'd left all his cars as they were. I replied to him then, but again, nothing from him ever! His email address too later became defunct.

I wonder if these cars are still around, and if so, in what condition! A shame as they all were quite complete and decent!
Old 17th July 2009, 04:18   #879
BHPian

Shyam, if its the same person, even called him up and spoke with hime but he was not keen on selling these cars. Would have loved to have his Mark1. On that note, please let me know if you come across any. Also wondering if you had a chance to look into those hub caps for me....
Old 17th July 2009, 07:54   #880
Senior - BHPian

dont get worried about prices of standard herald cars.
recently a car with updated documents went for a mere Rs.14000/-in trivandrum.
the owner just wanted to clear his premises
Old 17th July 2009, 11:12   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
dont get worried about prices of standard herald cars.
recently a car with updated documents went for a mere Rs.14000/-in trivandrum.
the owner just wanted to clear his premises
When we spoke about pricing on other threads, distress sales were not considered. But at least this Standard was saved. I know of a nut who gave away a reasonable good condition Standard to Chor Bazar 4 years ago for Rs 5000/- I told him that at price I too would have taken it.
Many years ago a Parsi gentleman had a Jag Mark 2 but it was fitted with a diesel engine, He asked me for 20K, I offered 15K and he gave it to chor bazar for 7K.
These two gentlemen would never have given the car to me at chor bazar pricing.
This is another angle to pricing of cars.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:42   #882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Shyam, if its the same person, even called him up and spoke with hime but he was not keen on selling these cars. Would have loved to have his Mark1. On that note, please let me know if you come across any. Also wondering if you had a chance to look into those hub caps for me....
Vrushant,

Are you sure its the same guy with the blue mk1 that you'd wanted??

I'm surprised he didn't want to sell any of his cars!

Coudln't go the place again for the hubcaps I'm afraid. 'will try and do so sometime. I do have an original mk3 horn-button for you btw.

Quote:
dont get worried about prices of standard herald cars. recently a car with updated documents went for a mere Rs.14000/-in trivandrum. the owner just wanted to clear his premises
RECENTLY?? How come you didn't tell me then??!

However, much as we hate to admit, cases like these nowadays are a rarity! The majority of these cars (as most classics) are overpriced, more often than not far from worth their condition. :(
Old 17th July 2009, 13:31   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Vrushant,

Are you sure its the same guy with the blue mk1 that you'd wanted??

I'm surprised he didn't want to sell any of his cars!

Coudln't go the place again for the hubcaps I'm afraid. 'will try and do so sometime. I do have an original mk3 horn-button for you btw.

RECENTLY?? How come you didn't tell me then??!
NOT so recently,but october 2008 to be exact, you never told me that you wanted to buy heralds from KERALA.
last month a 4 door herald was sold for Rs.32000/-

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2009 at 16:22. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:13   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
When we spoke about pricing on other threads, distress sales were not considered. But at least this Standard was saved. I know of a nut who gave away a reasonable good condition Standard to Chor Bazar 4 years ago for Rs 5000/- I told him that at price I too would have taken it.
Many years ago a Parsi gentleman had a Jag Mark 2 but it was fitted with a diesel engine, He asked me for 20K, I offered 15K and he gave it to chor bazar for 7K.
These two gentlemen would never have given the car to me at chor bazar pricing.
This is another angle to pricing of cars.
This is the problem with many car owners, when we go and ask them they do not sell (thinking there is something special in their car) over period of time the condition detoriates, the same car is sold for very less to the scrapper.

Also if vehicle is parked casually, miscreants snatch many trims or break few parts just for fun.
Old 18th July 2009, 00:38   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
NOT so recently,but october 2008 to be exact, you never told me that you wanted to buy heralds from KERALA.
Well, now that you've asked, I might let you know that I would like to buy a Herald from ANYWHERE in INDIA as long as I found the car in worthy condition, price agreeable and with intact documents etc.

While Kerala would have been too far a shot for me, even with transport charges included, at that price it would still come to less than what people ask for an "average" condition Herald here in Hyd.!

Last edited by Stanher : 18th July 2009 at 00:40.

Most Viewed