Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 00:23   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The one i am refering to you is a Triumph sprite very very rare in India just like the Vitesse.
This was in the late seventies, However the bug eyed sprite was very much there till the mid 80's -late 80's then she dissapeared with the family.
Sorry amol, but as Harit says, the car was a Triumph TR3, not Sprite- no Triumph car had that name. Only Austin Healey did to one of their sports cars that was in similar shape, also with the "bug-eye" headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Triumph was a TR3, earlier silver, then white or the other way round.
There were 2 TR 3's also in Chennai, one went to Delhi via Bangalore, changed colour from red to black. The other is still in Chennai.
I had heard of one in Hyderabad too, with an enthusiast, around 4-5 years ago. But am yet to see it.

Last edited by Stanher : 10th August 2009 at 00:27.
Old 12th August 2009, 21:54   #902
BHPian

The Crome primer is called Yellow "Zinc Chromate".

The "Standard Companion" is still with my relative. He is thinking of scrapping it!!!!!
Old 13th August 2009, 00:37   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
The "Standard Companion" is still with my relative. He is thinking of scrapping it!!!!!
No, PLEASE request him NOT TO!! If the car is still complete and with papers I'm sure SOMEONE here would be interested in it! Could you take some pics. and put them up here?
If not, please ask him to hang on. Someone can atleast use the parts should (God-forbid) it be fit for scrap! But LET IT NOT GO WASTED.

Last edited by Stanher : 13th August 2009 at 00:41.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:55   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
The Crome primer is called Yellow "Zinc Chromate".

Is the car in Bangy??? Can I have a look for our comman goal and benifit.
Old 13th August 2009, 01:32   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Is the car in Bangy??? Can I have a look for our comman goal and benifit.
Nope, I remember him saying its lying at his family factory or somewhere in Kerala.
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:24   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

This Herald attended a rally in Pune some years back. It appears to be fitted with an LPG kit.

Standard cars in India-scan0005.jpg

Interestingly, while going through my scribblings of spottings I made in school I find MH 12 P 3347 listed as a red Mk 1 Herald, though I don't remember seeing it. Must have been a really long time ago.
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:49   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Karl, I think I remember you mentioning this car to me. It seems to be very much the same as you'd described it. Not very appealing but still kept 'Standard' more or less!

Any chance of being able to sniff out this car now?

Aside, Behram had often told me about a junking Companion with one front wheel removed that he would see sitting at a roadside garage in Secunderabad while passing by on his way to Zaheerabad when he made trips there.

According to a source of his, the car was said to be there until as recently as 6 months ago, however, I later found out that it had been scrapped much before! 'turns out that it was at the former garage of the same mechanic who has the Pennant ADY 6683!
He said that it was a one-owner car, the owner had even made trips to and from Kashi in it! Unfortunately, he lost interest in it while giving it for repair, and left it lying there for a while (which was it was spotted by Behram I guess) before he eventually sold it for scrap!
Old 24th August 2009, 14:35   #908
Senior - BHPian

this post is specially dedicated to the Stanher. hope you like it buddy.

Standard cars in India-240809_134052-.jpg

back in 2004, there was a wedding just behind our house where the spouse came in this 'thing'. i really had to go out and have a look, but unfortunately did not have a camera nor i was in tbhp.

now, today saw the same car in a local remake of bazigaar and took the photo immediately from the TV.

this is a very very very "ESPHECIAL' car which has-
1. 2004 maruti 800 headlights
2. 2004 maruti esteem grille
3. old inverted maruti 800 front bumper
4. wagon r tail lights.
5. amby grand rear bumpers
6. modified amby dash with numerous switches
7. there are no door windows, they are all sealed.
8. more or less an original engine and the wheel.

enjoy
Old 24th August 2009, 14:58   #909
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i have seen a real life model of a similar hatchback Gazel - in Munnar/ Anamallais in the early 1970's when I was a small kid. not sure whether it was original or after market.(obviously at the age of 3 one cannot remember that much - but I clearly remember the car - it was light blue)
many of the planters there at that time had either heralds or gazels - my dad landed up with a Fiat (1100 new shape at the time) and caused a sensation. those days my friends dad had a similar Fiat as my dad's but with a hatchback - station wagon type. again not sure whether that was after market or not. (this car was bright red and there was one more which was white)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I'd earlier mentioned this website for scale models where a model of the Gazel was skillfully made:

Gazel

I'd thereafter interacted with the webmaster of said wesbite, who had also sent me a nice period pic. of this estate (station wagon) version of the Gazel, of which very few were built. This was published in what seems to be a French auto mag dated 1979, in an article that had pics. of even the then current 'Indian' cars, viz. Padmini and Amby mk4:

Attachment 171893

I used to see just one in Hyd. 5-6 years ago, but unfortunately, looking at the rear hatch, had taken it for some local body-mod (it had the normal saloon rear glass and the lower part of the hatch was shaped much like the normal saloon bootlid of the Gazel) so didn't bother to take any pics. then!

I haven't seen the car since either!

I also was in touch with a Gazel owner from Madras, who'd claimed his neighbour had one that was unfortunately sold for scrap!
Karl too had once sent me a pic. of just the rear hatch from one such car that was also sadly scrapped! It (hatch) appeared to be made of fibreglass.

Anyone else who's seen this version of the Gazel?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th August 2009 at 15:00.
Old 24th August 2009, 21:04   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
this post is specially dedicated to the Stanher. hope you like it buddy.
Thanks...but all the same, sad! This seems to be originally a later mk2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i have seen a real life model of a similar hatchback Gazel - in Munnar/ Anamallais in the early 1970's when I was a small kid.
many of the planters there at that time had either heralds or gazels - my dad landed up with a Fiat (1100 new shape at the time) and caused a sensation.
How I wish my father or grandfather were among those planters!

My dad did have a Gazel though.
Old 25th August 2009, 16:43   #911
BHPian

For Herald Convertibles:

Hi guys,

Posting a rare and valuable scale diagram of the Herald convertible with the top up. For all of you contemplating an authentic convertible conversion on your Herald, this image is extremely valuable.

If you take a print-out on a graph paper, and put the dimensions of your Herald, you'll get measurements of the top, window glass etc. which would be fairly accurate.

Also, the shape of the window glass and the hood will be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald-profile.jpg  

Old 25th August 2009, 16:50   #912
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

you could also look at TINTIN - The Black Island.
there is a beautiful old Triumph Herald pictured in that picture book!
Not to take away from your post LOVE HER(ALD), but I thought it worth mentioning that a lot of the lovely cars of yesteryears find representation in the Tintin books - indeed there was even an old issue of some car magazine which draws attention to this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hi guys,

Posting a rare and valuable scale diagram of the Herald convertible with the top up. For all of you contemplating an authentic convertible conversion on your Herald, this image is extremely valuable.

If you take a print-out on a graph paper, and put the dimensions of your Herald, you'll get measurements of the top, window glass etc. which would be fairly accurate.

Also, the shape of the window glass and the hood will be helpful.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:22   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

A photo that I really treasure! 'was given this by the founder of the Deccan Heritage Automobile Association (DECHAA) who'd taken the pic. on 15th August 2005, before my "moustached" days! I'd even forgotten that it had been taken!

This Herald must be quite well-known by now....I vaguely remember taking off my shoes ('open-back' shoes then) before keeping my feet on the rear seat, while sitting on the car alongwith the owner for the pose!
I was going to ask him for a ride to the lunch venue, but meanwhile DKG's uncle Keval was kind enoug hto offer me one in his Austin (on the right)

Standard cars in India-f1090001.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 6th September 2009 at 22:26.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:29   #914
Senior - BHPian

This one for shyam, let the pictures do talking

Standard cars in India-dsc09656.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09689.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09690.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09691.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09692.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09693.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc09698.jpg
Old 7th September 2009, 23:14   #915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
This one for shyam, let the pictures do talking
Wow, thanks Manish!!

I do recall seeing the first pic. in the pcis. of the 1100 TV earlier. 'glad to see more pics. of this Herald- this incidentally is an early ('61-62) Herald mk1, and remarkably complete/original, barring the paintjob! Its near to impossible to find such a complete early Herald, especially with the original pressed cardboard dash, that too still in good shape! I won't be surprised if it were a one-owner car previously!

And........I can assume it aint for sale!

Yes, reality hurts! HARD! :(

Anyways, I hope it is restored to it's original specs. ans kept the way it should be, with no "topless" treatment and so on....I can see traces of the previous colour- must've been green and white. These early Heralds came mostly in 2-shades (white + another colour) known as duotone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks