Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 23:22   #916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, thanks Manish!!

I do recall seeing the first pic. in the pcis. of the 1100 TV earlier. 'glad to see more pics. of this Herald- this incidentally is an early ('61-62) Herald mk1, and remarkably complete/original, barring the paintjob! Its near to impossible to find such a complete early Herald, especially with the original pressed cardboard dash, that too still in good shape! I won't be surprised if it were a one-owner car previously!

And........I can assume it aint for sale!

Yes, reality hurts! HARD! :(

Anyways, I hope it is restored to it's original specs. ans kept the way it should be, with no "topless" treatment and so on....I can see traces of the previous colour- must've been green and white. These early Heralds came mostly in 2-shades (white + another colour) known as duotone.
I was also dying to post her pictures. And it's part of the rajendra prasad collection and so not for sale. yes its been a single owner car and now with rajendra.

Yes all original bits seems to be there baring the metalllic body paint. Owner will sure take care of her well .
Old 9th September 2009, 01:17   #917
BHPian

Quote:

@abbas, did you take pics. of the interior as well?? I hope they retained the original dash etc!

Also reg. your Herald, was it your uncle's car that you'd posted in another thread? That was an early 60s one too.
Well, sorry for the late reply, i didn`t take the pics of the interior of the car i found in manali since we were already late for the movie.

reg. our car which we sold it off belonged to my uncle. I may have posted this pic earlier (i am not sure actually). So here it goes once again.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-std-1.jpg  

Old 9th September 2009, 09:17   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, you'd posted this same pic. in another thread earlier. I presume this car was sold for scrap? Incidentally, I heard that many people from Vizag Steel Plant also used to have these, for the fuel allowance from their co.!
Old 9th September 2009, 10:16   #919
BANNED

Not only Vizag my native Bhilai is also having lot many standard cars along with Ambys and Padminis laying down as they were used for milking the petrol allowances.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:41   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Not only Vizag my native Bhilai is also having lot many standard cars along with Ambys and Padminis laying down as they were used for milking the petrol allowances.
R u sure they still there??? Well there used to be a lot lying around in sector 10 market. Now only junk. Long ago Bhilai had cars but now all are scrapped.

BTW if you know of any can you please let me know.
manishalive is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th September 2009, 09:19   #921
BANNED

Still many are laying down at sector 4 hostel where the newly BSP appointed guys stays.Havent been to Bhilai for almost 4 years now so no info on availability.This time i am sure going to pickup some classics from there, BTW where are you from.
Old 11th September 2009, 21:58   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still many are laying down at sector 4 hostel where the newly BSP appointed guys stays.Havent been to Bhilai for almost 4 years now so no info on availability.This time i am sure going to pickup some classics from there, BTW where are you from.
Your next door neighbour just 24 kms away. Sector 4 cars still there, I need to check too?? BTW are you talking of only Heralds / Gazals / Standards or even of Fiats and other classic. Please PM me your contact info.
Old 12th September 2009, 00:03   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, common.....was the case with many govt. owned cos. even here. My dad's '51 Ford Prefect too was bought by one such employee for the same reason back in 1980-81.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:36   #924
BANNED

Ya man Manish i am talking about Heralds, Gazals, Standards, Fiats even some decent Ambies, i have lost many classics due to lack of knowledge and fund's during 90's including one friends Rajdoot Runabout which we sold just for 500 bucks to kabadi.You have a PM.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:03   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya man Manish i am talking about Heralds, Gazals, Standards, Fiats even some decent Ambies, i have lost many classics due to lack of knowledge and fund's during 90's including one friends Rajdoot Runabout which we sold just for 500 bucks to kabadi.You have a PM.
Oh man, this saddens me, lets team up to save the remaining classics in our Area.
Old 21st September 2009, 18:54   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

Many of you would remember this mk1 Herald I'd posted about several months ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1156674-post682.html

Shortly after I'd checked out this car, and found out the whereabouts of the owner, I'd gone there again once, to find the car disappeared from the spot!

I was told that she was sold, but I had my worst fears about to whom!

And then a friend at Secunderabad whom I'd met a month ago had mentioned that another friend of his had bought a Herald for his cousin, from somewhere close to his area and has been restoring it since. He mentioned it had the name "ENSIGN" on the bonnet but was nevertheless a Herald! It then rang a bell and I mentioned the details of this car, eventually having it confirmed from him that it was thankfully the same car!

I was glad to hear that it had been saved and was being restored.

He then introduced me to his friend, who told me the location of the garage where it was, and I happened to check out the car a few weeks ago.

Standard cars in India-img_3633.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3636.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3634.jpg

They seem to have done a good job on the bodywork, considering what it looked like when bought! However, I would take the body off the chassis and do a thorough job on the latter, for the condition the car had been in, even though the body wasn't too badly rusted. The wheels have been borrowed from another car in the same compound, as the ones on this one were totally shot!

The car still does need a lot to be done on it though, as cosmetically there was practically nothing left in it, with most bits vandalised! And even mechanically- on looking under the bonnet for the first time, I found that certain important parts (like the dynamo, carb., brake/clutch m.cylinders etc.) have sadly been whacked off and/or damaged rather brutally by vandals! The engine is seized solid and absolutely DRY, with no oil at all in it!

Last edited by Stanher : 21st September 2009 at 18:56.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:17   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car still does need a lot to be done on it though, as cosmetically there was practically nothing left in it, with most bits vandalised! And even mechanically- on looking under the bonnet for the first time, I found that certain important parts (like the dynamo, carb., brake/clutch m.cylinders etc.) have sadly been whacked off and/or damaged rather brutally by vandals! The engine is seized solid and absolutely DRY, with no oil at all in it!
Recently in Bangalore Gujari they Scrapped a Herald . Arun saw her on sunday, the car was deviod of any cosmetic bits. But i feel we can get some parts still remaining there.
Old 21st September 2009, 21:08   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Recently in Bangalore Gujari they Scrapped a Herald . Arun saw her on sunday, the car was deviod of any cosmetic bits. But i feel we can get some parts still remaining there.
Was it a 2-door Herald like this one? Did it have a roof on?? If so, I need it and also the side-glasses if available

And also I'd appreciate it if anyone (atleast in places like B'lore, Madras etc.) informs me beforehand should you come across ANY Standard sat the scrapyards there! Even without cosmetics there may be something or the other you can take from them!
I do have some mechanical bits with me (including NOS ones) that can be used for this car though.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:43   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was it a 2-door Herald like this one? Did it have a roof on?? If so, I need it and also the side-glasses if available

And also I'd appreciate it if anyone (atleast in places like B'lore, Madras etc.) informs me beforehand should you come across ANY Standard sat the scrapyards there! Even without cosmetics there may be something or the other you can take from them!
I do have some mechanical bits with me (including NOS ones) that can be used for this car though.
I will go to gujari on Friday and will enquire in detail, meanwhile I will request Arun to do a Preliminary enquiry and keep hold of the stuff.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:31   #930
Senior - BHPian

Four door

This is the four door herald lying in Mahim, which I'd mentioned about some time back. She has an engine, but no trim, no meters, no seats, no lights, and no glasses - Unless they've all been removed and kept aside. The garage was shut for Eid, I intend to inquire a bit on her..
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-dsc00331.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc00332.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks