Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 19:09   #946
BHPian

Hi All,
I was able to spot a blue Standard Companion during the weekend in Jayanagar Area, Bangalore. I could say that she was one of the most well maintained standard vehicle I have seen in the recent times. The there was also a gazel parked nearby, may be of the same owner. Was not able to get snaps of them but will surely post a few snaps and try to speak to the owner this weekend.
Regards
Old 12th October 2009, 20:08   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Selva View Post
I was able to spot a blue Standard Companion during the weekend in Jayanagar Area, Bangalore. I could say that she was one of the most well maintained standard vehicle I have seen in the recent times. The there was also a gazel parked nearby, may be of the same owner. Was not able to get snaps of them but will surely post a few snaps and try to speak to the owner this weekend.
Was it really blue or green? And was the Gazel a bottle green colour? If so, then someone did post snaps of these cars in this thread earlier, owned by the same owner (also said to have a red and white Herald, photos of which also were posted)
But in any case, 'm willing to spoil myself with more photos, when it comes to Standards!

PS: The Herald incidentally celebrated it's 50th Year last month, and an event for the same was held by the Triumph Sports Six Club, UK. 'covered in this month's issue of said club's magazine. Imagine a hall full of Heralds, Heralds....and Heralds! Surely my wet dream come true!
If only I could've attended....!

Last edited by Stanher : 12th October 2009 at 20:09.
Old 15th October 2009, 11:55   #948
BHPian

Oh.. yeah, I thought that was yours. Anyway, I also suggest staying away from black because it really becomes too tedious to maintain it. And apple green sounds like an interesting color - its fresh and would look good. May be you can also consider the window frames in milky-white like some cars in the picture below have. I too have been thinking which colour to choose. Did some googling and found some examples. I am not able to pull out time to start the face-lift for my car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Um, you're referring to the car in the pic. I posted? Nope, that isn't mine, sorry.... forgot to mention.

Mine too doesn't have the Companion badge, which made me go for the ones on ebay. It needs full restoration. It was originally Black and in Madras until 1972, since when it has been in Hyd. I intend to paint it apple green though, as black can prove rather tedious to maintain.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-standard_collage.jpg  

Old 16th October 2009, 09:23   #949
BHPian

I found this pic on the net
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-19776.jpg  

Old 16th October 2009, 09:34   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
I found this pic on the net
This is great!! 'looks like a period rally pic.
I'm guessing it was Coimbatore or Sholavaram down south. Both the Heralds appear to be mk2s. First one has been modified with extra headlight pairs and an early gazel bumper (no provision for bumperguards)

Do mention the link from the website where you found this (in any case, we are required to by tbhp rules)
Old 16th October 2009, 10:05   #951
BHPian

Quote:
This is great!! 'looks like a period rally pic.
I'm guessing it was Coimbatore or Sholavaram down south. Both the Heralds appear to be mk2s. First one has been modified with extra headlight pairs and an early gazel bumper (no provision for bumperguards)

Do mention the link from the website where you found this (in any case, we are required to by tbhp rules)
Stanher,

I got the link from another thread in Team-BHP. Found lots of period racing pics of Ambis, Fiats, Standards and other interesting cars in the website.

This is the link - Niaz's Motor-Racing / Motor rallying Memories : Rally Blog | Rally India - The Home of Indian Rallying

Mods, if this post is against the rules, please delete it.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:33   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam and all - I remember to have attended the Juhu race in Mumbai in February 1976 and 77 where there was a 3 lap herald race. One of the racers was Ranjit Singh who had a garage in Dadar, Mumbai. The cars used to be on 3 wheels in corners, I distinctly remember it. Ranjit Singh's harald used to stand in the building compound for many years in Dadar where he had his garage. Now everything has disappeared, only the building is still there.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th October 2009, 12:11   #953

Is that the Same Garage near Food Arcade where I was taken when I was a Kid. And wasnt 3866 also rebuilt there?
Old 24th October 2009, 11:18   #954
Senior - BHPian

A Herald lying at a local coachbuilders. They tried to create a Zagato double bubble top and then abandoned the project.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald-scrap.jpg  

Old 24th October 2009, 18:58   #955
Senior - BHPian

Coachbuilders ? Local ?? do tell more
Old 24th October 2009, 23:57   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A Herald lying at a local coachbuilders. They tried to create a Zagato double bubble top and then abandoned the project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Coachbuilders ? Local ?? do tell more
Oh yes, do! I'm all ears- er, eyes- too!!

The car incidentally, is a 4-doorer (mk3) going by the smaller front door and frame.

Another thing that pleasantly surprised me is that harit, with due respect to him, had used the specific name "Herald" of the car for maybe the first time (AFAIK)!!
He would normally refer to any Standard-made car as just a "Standard" while posting pics./info about them.
Excuse my being picky picky!
Old 25th October 2009, 17:42   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing that pleasantly surprised me is that harit, with due respect to him, had used the specific name "Herald" of the car for maybe the first time (AFAIK)!!
He would normally refer to any Standard-made car as just a "Standard" while posting pics./info about them.
Excuse my being picky picky!
Sorry, I am lost here. What exactly did you mean? I think all understood what make of car I was refering to, and if not, then the picture would have clarified it. Just for that, you get another view.
BTW, there is no engine or transmission, as the project was abandoned, they were not returned from Modena

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald-rotten.jpg  

Old 25th October 2009, 17:56   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry, I am lost here. What exactly did you mean? I think all understood what make of car I was refering to, and if not, then the picture would have clarified it. Just for that, you get another view.
OK, I meant that while posting about any car of the Standard line-up, you generally referred it to as just "Standard", and not by the specific model name (Herald, Pennant, 10 etc.) you had done so even the last time you talked about a similar (but better) Herald that ravi (Superselect) had posted here. If I'm sitll not clear, here's a reference to said post of yours:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1506091-post936.html

But this was the first time I could recall where you mentioned the specific model name, ie. Herald, in your post.

Oh, and thanks for the 2nd pic. too!

Last edited by Stanher : 25th October 2009 at 18:00.
Old 10th November 2009, 23:07   #959

Hello. I am a new member and have just found your earlier postings and the picture of the blue Standard Vanguard.
I lived in India some 40 years ago and was in Madras for a year in 1968 / 9.
My company gave me the use of a 1960 Standard Vanguard, blue, same shape as the one in the picture.
The registration number was MSQ 1639.
I wonder if this is the actual car.
John Barley
Old 11th November 2009, 00:31   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.barley View Post
Hello. I am a new member and have just found your earlier postings and the picture of the blue Standard Vanguard.
I lived in India some 40 years ago and was in Madras for a year in 1968 / 9.
My company gave me the use of a 1960 Standard Vanguard, blue, same shape as the one in the picture.
The registration number was MSQ 1639.
I wonder if this is the actual car.
Welcome aboard, john.

If you refer to the phase 3 Vanguard posted by JayD, the numberplates have been blanked out, so he alone would know what the number is. Being in Kerala, it would have a Kerala regn. but then could've originally been from Madras for all we know.

One question reg. the number- are you sure it was MSQ? Because I remember seeing pics. of a local-market 4-door Herald that had the number MSQ 715, although the car would date 10 years later than your Vanguard!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks