Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 13:59   #1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
i know of two standard 2000's myself. pretty close to my place. one isnt in a great condition. the other is 100% original even the paint but neither are in immaculate condition(read faded paint etc). if thats ok with you i can try and ask the owners if i can take pics of these cars.
Thanks, thats great, please ask the owner(s). I really need some good quality posed shots without too much in the backgroud/around the car if that is at all possible. Please post them here or email me at webmaster@standardmotorclub.org.uk

Many thanks for anything you can do
Kind regards,
Stanpart
Old 15th May 2010, 18:26   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is what looks like a late 70s Gazel, the last of this model, I've been seeing parked for years in this apartment building complex. I first saw it around 2002-03, because my dad used to work in an NGO in the same colony so we used to accompany him sometimes, passing by this building on the way. I remember at that time it had the bonnet badge intact.

Hillram knows this car too, it is incidentally not known to have run for the last 10 years or so! It used to be parked in a spot in the front of the building, facing the road (now to the left of the car) before being physically moved to this spot.

IIRC, the same car was advertised in a local newspaper for sale a couple of years ago, at a steep price!

'seems quite original with most of the parts intact, including the hubcaps. Very much restorable.

Standard cars in India-gazelmt2.jpg

Standard cars in India-gazelmt1.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_6074.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_6076.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_6078.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_6079.jpg
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:16   #1113
BANNED

hi,
this a 1966 herald which i have recently restored.

regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-am1t1uaga.jpg  

Standard cars in India-kcz7wam1t1un3d.jpg  

Standard cars in India-ofyam1t1ukxt.jpg  

Standard cars in India-xqmam1t1um3l.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 15:50. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:40   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
this a 1966 herald which i have recently restored.
Hi HPS! Great to see your car's pics. at last! This is a mk1 Herald and seems to be more a '64-65 rather than '66 model.

Your pics. werent visible when posted in your post, I'm afraid, although I was able to download them all. Do go through the help guidelines for posting images.

Your car seems strikingly original, with most of the original parts intact! Was the roof taken off by you or did it come to you that way btw?

Also it should have a slanted 'Standard' badge on the recess inside the bootlid on the right side, like this:

Standard cars in India-img_3644.jpg
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:32   #1115
BANNED

Hi Stanher,
Year of manufacture in the RC book is 66,maybe its a clerical mistake.The roof is there,but we like to drive it open top.The badge was missing when i picked up the car,and i have not been able to locate it anywhere.I shall be posting the pictures of the second car also.Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 6th June 2010, 08:20   #1116
BHPian

Found a Herald here in Chennai used for marriage processions. The front grill is from a Cadillac car scrapped about 4 years ago and the rear lights are from a Buick. But believe me its a Herald.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-photo0047-large.jpg  

Standard cars in India-photo0048-large.jpg  

Standard cars in India-photo0049-large.jpg  

Old 6th June 2010, 09:21   #1117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Found a Herald here in Chennai used for marriage processions. The front grill is from a Cadillac car scrapped about 4 years ago and the rear lights are from a Buick. But believe me its a Herald.
Ayyo! I dont know what to say!!!

The Herald looks good as it is, why bother to add up all this I wonder?!

Also going by the regn. no. and the bonnet vent, its an early mk1 Herald! All the more a pity!

Also the rear bumper seems to be from a Fiat 124 and the 'Belvedere' badges and some of the trim from a Plymouth! I dont know which car in this combo to feel sorry for!
'looks way too heavy too. Will have a terrible power-to-weight ratio. Indian Heralds anyway have an engine smaller than 1000 cc. Unless the engine on this has been changed- did you get to see what's under the bonnet?

BTW, I also see what looks like a Gazel in the background- the same one you told me of the other day? Any pics. of that car too? That looks reasonably 'virgin' compared to this Herald.

Last edited by Stanher : 6th June 2010 at 09:38.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:51   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL That is a nicely modded Herald...love the perfect fit of the Caddy front grille and those fins at the back are nice too....

Hope they threw in a bigger engine in it as well as with this sort of weight on it that poor original engine would be struggling to get this car moving.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:22   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow what a car. Alot of creative thinking has gone behind this. By the way the seems to be extended a bit at the back. What say shyam ?
Old 6th June 2010, 11:57   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Wow what a car. Alot of creative thinking has gone behind this. By the way the seems to be extended a bit at the back. What say shyam ?
Um, are you saying this just because this car isnt what big-time collectors in India see as a 'real' classic yet??
Old 6th June 2010, 14:47   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Um, are you saying this just because this car isnt what big-time collectors in India see as a 'real' classic yet??
No not at all. I ment the body has been extended towards the back.
Old 6th June 2010, 17:51   #1122
BHPian

hi staner i think the rear bumper is of fiat125 the guy has made the car into an american indian and just think of his passion into classic cars imagine the weight added to the car looks like an tank from front
Old 6th June 2010, 19:44   #1123
BHPian

Contribution from my side. Found this one Standard car near Kapaleeswarar Temple, Chennai, which is also used for marriage processions.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-111.jpg  

Old 6th June 2010, 23:32   #1124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
Contribution from my side. Found this one Standard car near Kapaleeswarar Temple, Chennai, which is also used for marriage processions.
Nice pic.! This is a GAZEL. I think the same car is visible in the background in one of the pics. jai posted, or maybe not, considering that this one looks relatively shabby, bodily/paint-wise atleast.

OTOH, its good to see Standards still running around in Madras atleast! None to be seen even in this use over here anymore!
Old 7th June 2010, 06:20   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice pic.! This is a GAZEL. I think the same car is visible in the background in one of the pics. jai posted, or maybe not, considering that this one looks relatively shabby, bodily/paint-wise atleast.

OTOH, its good to see Standards still running around in Madras atleast! None to be seen even in this use over here anymore!
When it was running, I felt it was moving on a M800 engine, not sure though. You are right Stanher, the body was very shabby.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks