Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:16   #1141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
shyam if you look at the photo carefully, the frame underneath the cover seems to be identical to the ones in the photos that you are refering to as original. It looks like just the fabric hasnt been installed properly
Nope, the frame may look only slightly identical but not entirely- you can make out from the length of the roof, which is more in case of this converted car, compared to the original convertibles. Secondly the corner where the glass meets the roof is not rounded, since the glass, being a saloon one, isnt, unlike on the OE convertibles:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/4...b126ed.jpg?v=0

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/...ist_Rear_1.jpg

http://www.carandclassic.com/uploads...mph/264958.jpg
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:13   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
After seeing this post i remebered that, that year classics below 1500cc were not allowed to participate. That year there was an Jaguar E type also that was not entered and was also brought to show by a restorer.
If you are referring to the Statesman Rally in Delhi, as far as I can remember, I don't think they ever allowed Indian made cars like Standard, Fiats etc. irespective of the fact that they were above or below 1500 CC.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:53   #1143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
If you are referring to the Statesman Rally in Delhi, as far as I can remember, I don't think they ever allowed Indian made cars like Standard, Fiats etc. irespective of the fact that they were above or below 1500 CC.
The fact that is always overlooked in these major rallies is that these cars were not Indian-made (atleast upto a certain period of time) but only Indian-assembled. The pre-65 fiats were infact more than 90% Italian.
Old 24th June 2010, 00:06   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
After seeing this post i remebered that, that year classics below 1500cc were not allowed to participate. That year there was an Jaguar E type also that was not entered and was also brought to show by a restorer.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:55   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually even these cars were technically not "Indian-made" atleast until a certain period of time. They mustn't be excluded just because they were assembled by Indian hands! The VCCCI too, until recently had this kind of segregative criteria.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:19   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir i am reffering to the Statesman rally in delhi. The same rules also apply to the Statesman Rally in Calcutta. This is also a criteria which has been mentioned by you.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:46   #1147
Senior - BHPian

A Herald Mark I from a collector in Punjab.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-untitled1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-untitled2.jpg  

Standard cars in India-untitled3.jpg  

Standard cars in India-untitled4.jpg  

Standard cars in India-untitled5.jpg  

Old 24th June 2010, 18:11   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Herald Mark I from a collector in Punjab.
This car belongs to a newbie team bhpian "hps aulakh"

He had posted the same pics. of the car (although they didnt display) and discussed in this thread earlier. 'would've been all the more nicer had the roof been retained, but he said he intends to keep it this way for now.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:15   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This car belongs to a newbie team bhpian "hps aulakh"

He had posted the same pics. of the car (although they didnt display) and discussed in this thread earlier. 'would've been all the more nicer had the roof been retained, but he said he intends to keep it this way for now.
Yes it is him indeed . He has many more cars in his collection apart from this Herald.
Old 26th June 2010, 20:12   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

A question I would like to pose to Standard enthusiasts.The Standards viz. Standard 8/10/Pennant/Companion of the mid 1950's till the early 1960's had low rider like driver seats (indeed both the front seats). For normal height persons ( around 5' 5" to 5' 8" or so)at the wheel only the head from neck upwards would be visible to onlookers outside. Poor fellow the driver- his head would be focussed upwards and from there beyond the windscreen to catch some glimpse of his car's fenders and the road to gain better control.
This was a very peculiar problem for these Standards. The Herald did not have such a problem however.
Standard cars in India-standard-10.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th June 2010 at 20:20.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:03   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Today on my way to Qaiserbagh i found this Gazel parked near the Radiator walla. Was on the move so couldn't catch the owner. Though i slowed down my car just to click the pics which resulted in a small traffic jam. Standard gurus do throw some light on the originality of the car. I think the bumpers are not original to the car.
The last pic was clicked on the same venue. Can anybody shed light on the model no. of this Audi.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-image0409.jpg  

Standard cars in India-image0410.jpg  

Standard cars in India-image0411.jpg  

Standard cars in India-image0412.jpg  

Standard cars in India-image0408.jpg  

Old 28th June 2010, 17:31   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Today on my way to Qaiserbagh i found this Gazel parked near the Radiator walla. Was on the move so couldn't catch the owner. Though i slowed down my car just to click the pics which resulted in a small traffic jam. Standard gurus do throw some light on the originality of the car. I think the bumpers are not original to the car.
The last pic was clicked on the same venue. Can anybody shed light on the model no. of this Audi.
Me not a Standard guru but the car outwardly looks original. The front and rear bumpers are borrowed from the 1960's Fiats.The Gazel bumpers were plain without the guards, but with a prominent central edged portion running all through the length of both the bumpers.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:33   #1153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pics., sagar bhai! This is a mk2 Gazel, with the "top-opening" bonnet. Similar to ours.
Car looks quite original on the outside, barring a few things. Firstly, the bumpers- which btw, I thought you'd recognise- they are afterall fiat 1100 ones!

Badges are also missing, but nice creative way of improvising on them with the brass letters!

The side-trim pattis are also missing but the last of the Gazels didnt come with them so maybe they werent there originally. Rear hubcap is from a Herald.

Do try to catch up with the owner if you still see it when you pass by that way next. Maybe this would be your wish fulfilled?
Old 28th June 2010, 20:51   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
The car belongs to the Manager of the state Bank on the oppsite side of the road . 1 owner since new , have been after him to sell it to me for quite some time now

Salman
Old 28th June 2010, 21:01   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Salman bhai for the link to the owner. Maybe i can try my luck. BTW IIRC i had contacted you before regarding the parts shop location in Lalbagh. I hope you recall.
@Stanher: Ok so you got me. Its confirmed that bumpers are indeed fiat ones. Well as wbd8779 stated, the manager of the bank is unwilling to part with it, so there is very minimal chance of myself acquiring this car. But will give it a try slowly and steadily.

Last edited by samsag12 : 28th June 2010 at 21:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks