Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:28   #1201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
similar 1952 standard vanguard estate is available in kerala with original engine.
asking price is only Rs.60000/-(negotiable)
Ajay, i am interested. Can you post some snaps if you have any.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:10   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
This 1952 Standard Vanguard Estate is a rare model. The car is very original and is for sale.

Cheers

KPS

That car is quite original , needs a complete restoration. The few un- original things which i spotted out when i saw the pics was -

1). This car has got a Studebaker Mascot

2). The tail gate lock handle isn't original. Looks like it is from an Amby.

Here are a few pics for reference -

Standard cars in India-front.jpg

Standard cars in India-52-vanguard-estate.jpg

Standard cars in India-4291630370_2f19213175.jpg

Standard cars in India-rear.jpg

Standard cars in India-untitled1.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this thread after a long time.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:00   #1203
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
That car is quite original , needs a complete restoration. The few un- original things which i spotted out when i saw the pics was -

1). This car has got a Studebaker Mascot

Yes it is known that the mascot was of a Stude, guess it will be removed. I had taken the snaps of the car as she was. The tail gate lock handle could be of an Amby as rightly pointed by you. Do not know if the new owner will want to change it. The new owner is getting the car restored ground up.

Cheers

KPS
Old 26th September 2010, 18:03   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is known that the mascot was of a Stude, guess it will be removed. I had taken the snaps of the car as she was. The tail gate lock handle could be of an Amby as rightly pointed by you. Do not know if the new owner will want to change it. The new owner is getting the car restored ground up.

Cheers

KPS

Has the restoration started ? Do update us with pics of the restoration if possible.
Old 26th September 2010, 20:38   #1205
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has the restoration started ? Do update us with pics of the restoration if possible.
Yes Indro the work has started. This car has been bought by Doc and when I meet him next will asking him permission. Doc had a wonderful thought. Though he has a full fledged restoration setup he wanted Mr. Sripathy to restore this car ground up. This is because in his up coming museum he will have this car as a reminder of Mr. Sripathy's contribution to the Bangalore vintage car scene

Cheers

KPS
Old 26th September 2010, 22:20   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The tail gate lock handle could be of an Amby as rightly pointed by you. Do not know if the new owner will want to change it.
As Holmes said, elementary my dear watson!

It definitely is an Amby handle. Anyways, definitely not the original for sure.

Um, if I might ask, why wouldnt the new owner want to change it, considering he's restoring the car ground up, and that handle doesnt seem to be in good condition anyways to be worth preserving.

Incidentally, here is a thread on tbhpian C S Ananth's fully restored Vanguard Phase 1 estate that might serve as reference:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...e-phase-i.html
Old 26th September 2010, 22:45   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Indro the work has started. This car has been bought by Doc and when I meet him next will asking him permission. Doc had a wonderful thought. Though he has a full fledged restoration setup he wanted Mr. Sripathy to restore this car ground up. This is because in his up coming museum he will have this car as a reminder of Mr. Sripathy's contribution to the Bangalore vintage car scene

Cheers

KPS
Since the restoration has been started and you are close to Mr. Sripathi why don't you please start a new thread of the restoration of this car. In this some of us might learn something new about this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
As Holmes said, elementary my dear watson!

It definitely is an Amby handle. Anyways, definitely not the original for sure.

Um, if I might ask, why wouldnt the new owner want to change it, considering he's restoring the car ground up, and that handle doesnt seem to be in good condition anyways to be worth preserving.

Incidentally, here is a thread on tbhpian C S Ananth's fully restored Vanguard Phase 1 estate that might serve as reference:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...e-phase-i.html

Thank you sir . The way he meant is that the owner might not want to spend of imorting this car sin ce its going to b e put in a museum.
Old 10th October 2010, 00:48   #1208
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a lovely looking yet relatively uncommon car in India, a Standard 14 drophead coupe.

Standard cars in India-01.jpg

Standard cars in India-02.jpg

Standard cars in India-03.jpg

Indian 12 Drophead Coupé

There is a Standard 14 Saloon in Bombay featured previously on this thread.
Old 24th October 2010, 14:44   #1209
BHPian

I spotted this Herald in Indiranagar. There was some issue with the battery. Hence the car was stopped on the road. I was happy as I could take some pics to dedicate to StanHer!

Shyam: Do you know this Stanher too?
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-spm_a0260.jpg  

Standard cars in India-spm_a0262.jpg  

Old 24th October 2010, 14:53   #1210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
I spotted this Herald in Indiranagar.
Shyam: Do you know this Stanher too?
Thanks for the pics. Green day! Nope I'm not sure if I've known this car though!

So were they able to get her started again after you took the pics.?
Old 24th October 2010, 14:55   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
So were they able to get her started again after you took the pics.?
I was chanting your name and went near the car and voila the car started!
Old 24th October 2010, 18:25   #1212
Senior - BHPian

GreenDay. The most amusing thing i felt after a look at the pics was despite having battery issues the headlight was on and served no purpose rather than lighting the road.
Old 30th October 2010, 22:22   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

I've known this reasonably original early Standard 10 (note: not the 'Super 10' that came in 1957-58, this one's a little older model, around '55-56 and was badged only as 10) in Secunderabad for quite some time. It's been parked in the same street ever since I first saw it in 2005, and has not run for the last 4-5 years.
I had even met the owner around 2007 and he mentioned then that the self-starter was defective. Incidentally, he wasnt (and still isnt) interested in selling the car, as it is basically his father's who still refuses to part with it. I did give him my number then to call for help in getting the car fixed. But never heard from him.

I met him again recently and offered to help get the car back on the road again, having seen it deteriorate slowly but steadily over the years. He was very much ready. So I introduced him to my mech. who went over this week and has got the car started up already (unfortunately I missed it due to my work schedule!!)

But a lot still needs to be done on the car. It looks not too bad in the pic. I took today, but the elements have taken their toll on the body, with rust creeping in the usual places.
Moreover, the road where it is parked was relaid a few months ago so 2 of the tyres got stuck in the tar and still need efforts to get them fully out!
The broken end of the bumper was the handiwork of some kids I was told. The owner said he stored the piece inside though, so can be welded back on.

At present though, the owner just wants to get it running and have it parked safe 'inside' (actually a passageway outside their house- there doesnt seem to be a car-parking space within, and they have 3 other cars! hence this poor thing ended up on the street.)

Standard cars in India-s10blk.jpg

The engine bay has everything intact but some of the wiring had been nibbled away!

Standard cars in India-img_7709.jpg

And here was one of the culprits escaping- I couldnt photo him as soon as we opened the bonnet but trust me- he is HUGE!! The biggest bandicoot I've ever seen!

Standard cars in India-img_7708.jpg

Here is the car when I first saw in 2005, was in much better shape then:

Standard cars in India-s101.jpg

Standard cars in India-s102.jpg

We're going to try and get the tyres inflated tomorrow, in which case it will be moved inside.
Old 31st October 2010, 08:34   #1214
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - you are making me think once again. No time, that's my biggest problem.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 31st October 2010, 09:37   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgia Standard Companion
The pictures by Stanher made me think about a Standard Companion (station wagon), I helped one of my friends to buy merely as a conveyance allowance earner. It was in early 90's. The black colour 56 or 57 model (I dont remember exactly) was bought from Muvattupuzha in Kerala for Rs14000. I drove it through Muvattupuzha on that day and what was needed was only a new battery.

This car was once owned by Malayalam movie star of yesteryear Shri Jos Prakash. In one of the Metroplus sunday pull out of The Hindu, there was a mention about this car in which Shri Jos Prakash carried dry cleaned suits to his shop from his house.

My friend got the entire spending reimbursed in a year flat and kept possession of the car for a couple of years more. What he spend was a mere Rs 500 for a touch-up-and-polish. He did not drive it for more than say 5KMs.

Contrary to his verbal consent to sell it to me, he sold it later to a hawker for about Rs 2500 without bothering to even inform me.. I called him all the names I knew and told him that he is my foe..

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st October 2010 at 09:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks