Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 10:55   #1216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - you are making me think once again. No time, that's my biggest problem.
Actually I made myself think again. But, as I said, it is not for sale for now.
No money, that's my biggest problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The pictures by Stanher made me think about a Standard Companion (station wagon), I helped one of my friends to buy merely as a conveyance allowance earner. It was in early 90's. The black colour 56 or 57 model (I dont remember exactly) was bought from Muvattupuzha in Kerala for Rs14000.
This car was once owned by Malayalam movie star of yesteryear Shri Jos Prakash.
My friend got the entire spending reimbursed in a year flat and kept possession of the car for a couple of years more. What he spend was a mere Rs 500 for a touch-up-and-polish. He did not drive it for more than say 5KMs.
he sold it later to a hawker for about Rs 2500 without bothering to even inform me.. I called him all the names I knew and told him that he is my foe..
A real sad story indeed! That too considering the car had such a history!
If you really liked the car, you could've bought it for yourself rather than help your friend, who obviously didnt deserve it, buy the car!

BTW, it couldnt have been a '56 or 57 model- the companion was introduced in India only in '61, alongwith the Herald, and sold until '63.
Old 31st October 2010, 11:34   #1217
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - your problem is different from my problem. Your problem can be solved by working smart / hard, or hunting for and finding a rich FIL (father-in-law) but I cannot cram in more than 24 hours in one day . Actually I can make this car absolutely brand new provided I buy it, the reason if I don't will be that I don't want to start one more project and then not have the time to execute it.

The unplanned way in which these garages work has driven me up the wall, doing up my 4 fiats.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 31st October 2010, 15:16   #1218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Your problem can be solved by working smart / hard, or hunting for and finding a rich FIL (father-in-law) but I cannot cram in more than 24 hours in one day .

The unplanned way in which these garages work has driven me up the wall, doing up my 4 fiats.
Sir, that's all the more a problem- even the so-called rich FILs today want a rich son-in-law!

And yes, even I cant cram in more than 24 hours, so ending up more or less as a weekend bird!

And yes, agree with what you say about unplanned ways of garages!
Old 31st October 2010, 18:34   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sir, that's all the more a problem- even the so-called rich FILs today want a rich son-in-law!
It would be possible only if the FIL is rich & stupid at the same time, He should be ready to marry his daughter to a person who is restless to spend more FILs money on the cars than on his wife and also have no time to spend with his wife, even on weekends!

Best of Luck!
Don’t let your potential in-laws get a whiff of this forum

regards
invinci
Old 31st October 2010, 21:39   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
Best of Luck!
Don’t let your potential in-laws get a whiff of this forum

regards
invinci
My association with this forum Started shortly after my marriage . And infact my crazyness also unfolded slowly slowly.
Old 29th November 2010, 00:29   #1221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've known this reasonably original early Standard 10 (note: not the 'Super 10' that came in 1957-58, this one's a little older model, around '55-56 and was badged only as 10) in Secunderabad for quite some time. It's been parked in the same street ever since I first saw it in 2005, and has not run for the last 4-5 years.
offered to help get the car back on the road again, having seen it deteriorate slowly but steadily over the years.
We're going to try and get the tyres inflated tomorrow, in which case it will be moved inside.
To continue on this, I'm glad to mention here that the car was successfully pushed 'inside' today, away from the road where it sat all along and is now relatively safer.

But what is in it to say 'successfully'??

Well, trust me it wasnt easy getting the little old 10 to move in 2-3 attempts even with a bunch of men pushing/shoving it until today! It turned out harder than I thought!
After getting all the tyres inflated, including getting both the left tyres unstuck from the road tar, the main hassle being that all 4 wheels were seized solid, just didnt move!

On opening the drums (with loads of WD-40ing and tapping), it turned out that the drums were all stuck with the brake liners inside! The axles thankfully werent and could move freely.

So my mech. cleaned/sanded all the drums from inside, temporarily took off the brake liners so they dont get the drums stuck again until work is resumed on the car (its not going to run too soon anyway)
Everything was rusty and filthy....rust powder poured out and insects crawled out of the drums when opened!

Bodily, the car isnt too fortunate either, as could be seen on opening the front doors. The flooring crumbled away when I lifted off the mats and the chassis cross-members are gone, which I reckon could prove very risky to the structural strength of the car if not fixed fast! 'hope they act on it soon!

Standard cars in India-img_7884.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_7939.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_7942.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_8011.jpg

In.....finally!

Standard cars in India-s10in.jpg
Old 29th November 2010, 08:32   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Its a sigh of relief to see this car safely parked inside.Regarding the jamming of wheels i think it was bound to happen for a car untouched for years. Once even my S1 got its wheel jammed as it was parked with its parking brakes(handbrakes on)on for a couple of months. BTW whats the plan of action for this car. I hope the owner will get it mechanically sound and running.
Old 6th December 2010, 23:19   #1223
Distinguished - BHPian

I got to know that this mk1 Herald, a converted convertible, is finally being restored by the owners at another garage I know of.

'saw the car today. They said they are not doing a body-off resto though, as they find it relatively complicated.

Standard cars in India-img_8053.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_8054.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_8057.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_8058.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_8059.jpg

But still, glad this car's finally getting some attention- here it was when I saw first it a year ago at another garage. The rims were borrowed for another Herald that was brought for being done up there.
A very original car otherwise, note the lovely chrome/s.steel headlamp "eyelids"!

Standard cars in India-mk1cabrio.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk1cabrio1.jpg
Old 7th December 2010, 09:20   #1224
Senior - BHPian

It must be a sigh of relief for you Shyam bhai. Hope it turns out really good. BTW i think the Dash of this converted convertible is original. Do correct me if wrong.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:34   #1225
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand why a herald needs to be chopped to make it a convertible. Can't one just unbolt the roof and keep it away?
Old 7th December 2010, 12:30   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
It must be a sigh of relief for you Shyam bhai. Hope it turns out really good. BTW i think the Dash of this converted convertible is original. Do correct me if wrong.
The Dash Board looks original with all instrument slots except one in right place. The Veneered pannel looks original including the wear & tear marks. There are two holes to the right side which is not original. Actually originals had only one with Fuel Gauge.

The second one which is after market would house an Ampere Gauge. You see people migrating from older cars like Amby/landy etc were uncomfortable to trust a red lamp to tell them when the electricals were at fault/not working properly

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 7th December 2010 at 12:35.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:36   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW i think the Dash of this converted convertible is original. Do correct me if wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The Dash Board looks original with all instrument slots except one in right place. The Veneered pannel looks original including the wear & tear marks. There are two holes to the right side which is not original. Actually originals had only one with Fuel Gauge.
Yes, you're right, it is indeed the original dash! Here is a pic. of it when I first saw the car....sadly gone real bad being left to the elements, but can be resurrected.

Standard cars in India-img_3645.jpg

The speedo is not original though (taken from a Gazel)

And yes, as ram says, the original Herald dash had only the fuel guage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I fail to understand why a herald needs to be chopped to make it a convertible. Can't one just unbolt the roof and keep it away?
Well, yes, that's exactly what was done here too!
They just unbolted the roof but unfortunately seem to have disposed of it (and the glasses) thereafter, since they probably felt they didnt need it anymore. An original roof, if found, can still be fitted back.

Personally, I always like these cars with them on. Unless its an original convertible with a genuine, proper soft-top.
Old 7th December 2010, 23:07   #1228
BHPian

Standard

What Standard Car is this ? I had posted it elsewhere too.

Attachment 451748
Attachment 451749
Old 7th December 2010, 23:09   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got to know that this mk1 Herald, a converted convertible, is finally being restored by the owners at another garage I know of.

'saw the car today. They said they are not doing a body-off resto though, as they find it relatively complicated.

Attachment 465033

Attachment 465034

Attachment 465035

Attachment 465036

Attachment 465037

But still, glad this car's finally getting some attention- here it was when I saw first it a year ago at another garage. The rims were borrowed for another Herald that was brought for being done up there.
A very original car otherwise, note the lovely chrome/s.steel headlamp "eyelids"!

Attachment 465040

Attachment 465041

Shyam,

What car does the chassis that is primered and kept next to the convertible herald belong to ?
Old 8th December 2010, 17:55   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Shyam.

What car is that parked in front of the Herald in the first shot.? It looks like a thirties Morris 8 or similar vinatge car

Indrojit.

That is a Jeep chassis if I am not mistaken

Last edited by wasif : 8th December 2010 at 17:57.

Most Viewed