Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 07:28   #121
BHPian

Here is a standard companion used at Madurai.

The car is with a single family from purchase.

Karl featured it in standard motor club UK.

Old 8th October 2007, 09:25   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Here is a standard companion used at Madurai.

The car is with a single family from purchase.

Karl featured it in standard motor club UK.

Yes I remember this car being featured on smc.........but I thought the owner had mentioned that it was based in Madras...?

Last edited by Stanher : 8th October 2007 at 09:26.
Old 8th October 2007, 13:07   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quite a few Stampro fans here!

Way back in 1970s, my school van used to be a petrol Standard 20, the model which did not have wheel arches for the front wheels. Around the same time, my dad's office used to have a diesel Standard 20 which was very noisy. Later models had wheel arches.

Around the time of Asiad 1983, Standard introduced the new wide bodied van with a single piece windshield and a folding side step. This model became relatively popular and affected sales of Matador passenger model. It had I-beam front axle that gave longer life to front tyres. Matador was front wheel drive with a torsion bar (?) front axle because of which front tyres lasted lesser.

Is anyone here aware of the nice-looking two door coupe that was created on the Standard Gazel chassis by a rally enthusiast in the early 1980s? There was an article on it in the Business India. Unfortunately, it never went into production.

Last edited by directinjection : 8th October 2007 at 13:12.
Old 8th October 2007, 14:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Around the time of Asiad 1983
Actually that was in 1982. Sorry for the slip!
Old 9th October 2007, 06:41   #125
BHPian

Quote:

Is anyone here aware of the nice-looking two door coupe that was created on the Standard Gazel chassis by a rally enthusiast in the early 1980s? There was an article on it in the Business India. Unfortunately, it never went into production.
Well, the company has introduced 7-8 different model cars within a very short period and from your news seems to be in research for more!

The company Standard Motors at chennai was for auction recently.The factory along with equipments and junk were taken by a real estate promoter I heard.
Old 9th October 2007, 10:16   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quite a few Stampro fans here!

Way back in 1970s, my school van used to be a petrol Standard 20, the model which did not have wheel arches for the front wheels. Around the same time, my dad's office used to have a diesel Standard 20 which was very noisy. Later models had wheel arches.
That reminds me- stampro, do you know of any early model (w/out the frontwheel arches) Standard 20 van lying around or for sale there at Madurai??
I was keen to buy one in Pune a few years ago but turned out that it was not for sale!

Quote:
I never heard of this.....although I read about a yesteryears rally champion Kinny Lall who had a 2-door Coupe-ish car custom-built on a Herald chassis in the 60s used for rallying.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:03   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the company has introduced 7-8 different model cars within a very short period and from your news seems to be in research for more!

The company Standard Motors at chennai was for auction recently.The factory along with equipments and junk were taken by a real estate promoter I heard.
The car I talked about was never "introduced" by Standard.
I think it was a one-off prototype created by a rally enthusiast (no, not Kinny Lal, stanher) most probably on his own. It had twin round headlamps while wipers and tail lights were borrowed from Tata truck. It looked quite contemporary for an early 1980s car. I wish I hadn't disposed off my old collection of Business Indias!
Old 10th October 2007, 06:54   #128
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;588870] do you know of any early model (w/out the frontwheel arches) Standard 20 van lying around or for sale there at Madurai??

no no not at all.when standard introduced standard 20 vans (called micro) with improved wide body it replaced all earlier vans.They were very much popular till the company closed shutters. Probably the van you are looking for looks like this atlas.

If at all we are able to locate one then why a van, of all vehicles?
Old 10th October 2007, 07:01   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
2-door Coupe-ish car custom-built on a Herald chassis in the 60s used for rallying.
Rally no.

I had heard about heralds and padminis (fiats) used at sholavaram(chennai) car race in 1970's .Various modified heralds were used there.The race conducted in a unused airfield every year attracted enthusiasists from all over the country.One name I remember was the Maharaj of Gondal winning year after year (not in a herald).The maruti's have taken over now.
Old 11th October 2007, 07:08   #130
BHPian

Any other yesteryears (60s/70s) movie with Heralds in them?

I have seen many movies with standard cars at the background.

Most of them are taxi's and they are 10's ,pennants and even companions.

herald was projected as a sports car,for the young only.

I should be able to get some information soon.

Reminds me of Apoorva sahodarargal (Appu Raja in Hindi) where the hero (a car mechanic) sings a song (Rajaa...) at the standard car assembly section.Where all Standard 2000 cars were being made.Standard 2000 lovers pl see.
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:00   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
no no not at all.when standard introduced standard 20 vans (called micro) with improved wide body it replaced all earlier vans.They were very much popular till the company closed shutters. Probably the van you are looking for looks like this atlas.

If at all we are able to locate one then why a van, of all vehicles?
Firstly stampro, sorry bout my late 'postal' reply to this post! 'had thought of replying to this later but completelty forgot!

Well, the micro no doubt had a wider body but was no way improved compared to the older versions (IMHO)....the older ones did seem tougher....

I'm talking aboutt the early ones sans the front wheelarches, which were similar to the atlas although not exactly:

Early Standard 20 minibus brochure pictures from cars photos on webshots

Why a van? Uh, well I thought its more 'normal' to have a passenger van than having a delivery one or a mini-truck!
Old 24th October 2007, 07:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I'm talking aboutt the early ones sans the front wheelarches, which were similar to the atlas although not exactly:

Early Standard 20 minibus brochure pictures from cars photos on webshots

Was straying in your webshots link.

Quite a collection of photos you have there.

You got that agilra who says has photos and videos of standards into t-bhp?
Old 24th October 2007, 09:23   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, I'm not surprised you strayed into the gallery!
But credit for most of the photos goes to our friend K(C)arl!

No I'm afraid I havent been in touch with Agilra since then.....he did send me the pics. of the oldest known Herald in India that he had mentioned, the December 1960 mk1 Herald.
Which reminds me I should upload its pics. here.........it deserves a prominent place in this thread!
Old 24th October 2007, 14:38   #134
Senior - BHPian

Nice collection you have there Stanher!
I too have some Standard CV brochures from the 1980s era.
Will post them when I learn how to!
Old 24th October 2007, 18:16   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Sure do post them when you can.....80s bole tho it must be of the later Micro & not the early 20 right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks