Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 21:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

stanher, karl and stampro. this is for you guys hope you like it.

Old 12th September 2007, 21:45   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see my Premier President grille on the Herald

Whats the story with this car?
Old 12th September 2007, 22:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hello Stanher (Shyam), Stampro and Karl (you know it) - I am trying to purchase a good Standard Super 10 (first choice) or a Pennant (second choice). Can you please help ?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir I think the better of the 2 is a Pennant, IMHO it looks much more appealing on the outside as well as inside, compared to the Super 10 (I'm sure Karl too would agree!) although I guess it is slightly longer than the latter, at the rear...otherwise I wouldnt find any difference in the 2 with regards to maintenance etc.
PS- Sir I'm sending you a pm regarding another car that you'd asked me about. Please check.

Incidentally, stampro- I'm trying to source a good pennantt steering wheel for my early Herald as I really find that attractive with the trims on the spokes! plus its more or less the same colour as that of early Heralds....'couldnt find one such steering wheel at Madras.....how bout any chances of getting one in Madurai? Do let me know.
Old 12th September 2007, 22:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice to see my Premier President grille on the Herald

Whats the story with this car?
i was enroute for a meeting with a collegue of mine and i spotted this car in a parking lot of a colony. dont ask me how i managed to see it through the high walls. i asked my driver to go into the place. my collegue thought i had gone mad and kept reminding me we were going the wrong way. enough of that now the car. it is not for sale unfortunately or else yours truely would have picked it up for sure. something about the car that appealed to me (2 door i think and that my father owned one in his college days). the owner also has 2 beetles and a baby austin. i could not take pictures as the gaurd of the colony was chaseing me and the other cars were in covers with ropes tied around them. after bribeing the gaurd he told me the owner is a bachelor and leaves home early and returns by 10pm. spends his sundays with the cars so this sunday i shall give him company. the door are almost falling off on this one and the windows were left open. the other cars are in far better shape. i wonder why the step car treatment to this one
Old 12th September 2007, 22:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
stanher, karl and stampro. this is for you guys hope you like it.
Many thanks speedy.....well, dont mindd me saying this but I'd been cooking when I saw these pics.you posted & almost burnt my dinner as I sat looking at them!
Gald to see someone besides me (& Karl) posting herald pics. here for a change!
However, the car looks pretty sad to me....got too much of mods. on it.....plus body looks quite whacked about, atleast on the left side.....although should be restorable if done accordingly.....
Old 12th September 2007, 22:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the door are almost falling off on this one and the windows were left open. the other cars are in far better shape. i wonder why the step car treatment to this one
Not to mention the fuel tank opening on the left rear wing stuffed shut with a plastic/cloth! How much would one need to spend by buying a lockable fuel tank caps??
I wonder if this used to be his daily transport perhaps?
Old 12th September 2007, 22:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Many thanks speedy.....well, dont mindd me saying this but I'd been cooking when I saw these pics.you posted & almost burnt my dinner as I sat looking at them!
Gald to see someone besides me (& Karl) posting herald pics. here for a change!
However, the car looks pretty sad to me....got too much of mods. on it.....plus body looks quite whacked about, atleast on the left side.....although should be restorable if done accordingly.....
hope you enjoy your almost burnt dinner stanher .
i saw it and could not resist takeing pictures for you'll.
the car like i said has been given step car treatment by the owner compared to the other cars (seeing part of the bumpers and wheels and exhaust tips). it can be restored and i think i am going to hold the owner at gun point and take the car from him. i think i have found a car for my father to truely enjoy and bring back his college day memories.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, All the Best speedy! 'will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Old 12th September 2007, 23:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, All the Best speedy! 'will keep my fingers crossed for you!
thank you stanher, will need it with the owners odd timeings to catch him.
i was wondering does a landmaster picture qualify to be posted on this thread.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thank you stanher, will need it with the owners odd timeings to catch him.
i was wondering does a landmaster picture qualify to be posted on this thread.
Well if it has anything to do with standards, like if it happens to be fitted with any standard parts or something....?
Incidentally my mech. says he spotted a Herald in a similar colour at the local scrapyard last week when I was away.....only to realise that it fortunately or unfortunately did not come for breaking but belonged to a customer who came for some spares from the scrapguy......turns out he came driving all the way from Gulbarga (Karnataka) & claimed to have driven even as far as Solapur in his herald.....said it was in his family from new but underwent quite a few mods. due to lack of finding spares- the rear axle had been converted to a Standard 10 type plus had fiat 1100 side pattis & no badges/monograms......I'm imagining it to've looked somewhat like this car although he said the body of that car was very neat....'wish I could've just seen that car though.....even if it wasnt for sale......as long as it was a stanher....!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th September 2007 at 00:02.
Old 13th September 2007, 00:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well if it has anything to do with standards, like if it happens to be fitted with any standard parts or something....?
Incidentally my mech. says he spotted a Herald in a similar colour at the local scrapyard last week when I was away.....only to realise that it fortunately or unfortunately did not come for breaking but belonged to a customer who came for some spares from the scrapguy......turns out he came driving all the way from Gulbarga (Karnataka) & claimed to have driven even as far as Solapur in his herald.....said it was in his family from new but underwent quite a few mods. due to lack of finding spares- the rear axle had been converted to a Standard 10 type plus had fiat 1100 side pattis & no badges/monograms......I'm imagining it to've looked somewhat like this car although he said the body of that car was very neat....'wish I could've just seen that car though.....even if it wasnt for sale......as long as it was a stanher....!
it is original and to die for, trust me on this one. i rarely get impressed with cars. this landmaster was something original to the tee.
man the poor guy, atleast he tried to keep the car alive with his modifications and by the look of things he is not happy with the modifications that he made, and want to change it back. he can actually say he drove high and low to find original parts . instead of driveing the earth someone should tell him to buy a scrapped herald and use it as a donor car, it would make his life simple.
this car is in no condition to drive 100 meters from where it stands. you might be driveing doorless after that
Old 13th September 2007, 01:26   #42
BHPian

Hey my friend has a 74' standard 1200,car is in working condition,but the engine is going in for overhauling..He's also getting it painted and a new set of alloys
Old 13th September 2007, 02:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
Hey my friend has a 74' standard 1200,car is in working condition,but the engine is going in for overhauling..He's also getting it painted and a new set of alloys
hey thats nice to hear kroniq. hope your friend lets you post some pictures of his car after it is restored.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:20   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
Uh, to the best of my knowledge there never was any car called the standard 1200.....the only standard car in the 70s (in India) was the Gazel & that wasnt a 1200 but 948cc with the herald engine continued.....
Or since you mention 1200 I'm guessing it is a Triumph (UK import) Herald 1200, but again that was made only till 1969-70.....
I'd sure like to see the pics. of this car your friend has so I could know what it really is...!
Old 14th September 2007, 06:44   #45
BHPian

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Ah, that's a beautiful penant. My grandfather used to have one, was originally blue and white, then repainted to black. Btw, is the car in the profile picture yours?? ca we have some info and pics??
Thank you JayD the car in the profile pic is not mine.

It is a restored Standard Companion sold by Ravi Kiran of Bangalore two years back.

I don't know who the lucky owner is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks