Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 22:40   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
here is one more standard herald that i saw. it is the similar to the other standard but far more original and in better condition
This too is a 61/2 model Herald, and remarkably clean. You very rarely get to see such a straight Herald.
Old 24th September 2007, 22:42   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I think this is the same model as the one egangsta posted,but 4door

While it is indeed a Flying Standard, its much larger, perhaps a 12 or even 14. Will find out and get back.
Old 25th September 2007, 00:05   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, speedy, how come your coming across mostly '62 Heralds lately?? This is the 2nd one you've spotted!
I wonder if this is a sign from God.....keep your fingers crossed!
So got any details on this one?? If for sale, I may have someone who's interested.....eg. yours truly (if I can afford it!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This too is a 61/2 model Herald, and remarkably clean. You very rarely get to see such a straight Herald.

guys the car is very clean and i dont think it is driven any more or cleaned there is a mondeo also suffering the same fate. the owner is an elderly lady who lives alone and does not answer gate(on the road) or the door bell. they have a big dog and i could hear its barks when i was trespassing and takeing the pictures of the car. the old lady does not leave the house and no one has seen her in ages. her children three of them who i feel like shooting stay outside delhi and dont want her with them. they have not visited her in over three years. the servant comes part time and thats is when the neighbourhood knows she is well. i found out all other details from the gaurd of the next property and her servant.
i have to get in touch with her to be able to know if she wants to sell the car or not. i think there is a person who has his eyes on it. GADILAO FIATWALLA
Old 25th September 2007, 00:15   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, its an early regular 10.
Are you sure karl? I thought you told me early 10s had the standard badge slanted on the right side of the boot, as the (Indian) pennants did....whereas this car has the badge at the centre, which makes sense since the 'Super' & '10' badges would be at the right at a slant...
Old 25th September 2007, 06:54   #95
BHPian

The dash on the herald.The speedometer I have seen is a Smiths.Looks different here.
Old 25th September 2007, 06:59   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Stampro I think the car is certainly restorable. So has it been scrapped or is it still around? Behram Dhabhar is looking for one desperately. Please find him one soon so he'll stop pestering me for my car
Please tell him to wait.It is worth waiting for a big catch.He should soon be riding his own standard soon.
Old 25th September 2007, 09:58   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
The dash on the herald.The speedometer I have seen is a Smiths.Looks different here.
Its actually a Jaeger speedo....mine is of the same brand although white-faced.
Speedy, my instinct tells me the lady wouldnt be too hard to convince (pity bout her lonely status though......shame on such children!).....maybe you could see if her servant would help you meet her in person someday......Good luck again!

Last edited by Stanher : 25th September 2007 at 10:06.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:35   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its actually a Jaeger speedo....mine is of the same brand although white-faced.
British Jaeger meters, which are featured on Heralds, was owned by Smiths by this time. So the needle, revolving numbers and tell tale lights are shared with the Smiths units, and Im sure much more would be common as well, if not identical.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:27   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
and Im sure much more would be common as well, if not identical.
Such as the fuel guage incorporated within the speedo I guess....
Old 25th September 2007, 11:43   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speedy, my instinct tells me the lady wouldnt be too hard to convince (pity bout her lonely status though......shame on such children!).....maybe you could see if her servant would help you meet her in person someday......Good luck again!
i dont think it would not be hard to convince the old lady. but the problem is that she does not meet anyone. guess her childrens attitudes have made her less trusting towards strangers. i promised her servant a certain gooddy to make me meet her and get the car. so keep your fingers crossed and hope the car comes to bombay.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:19   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Stampro - I am willing to wait but poor Karl will have to put up with my pestering. I guess I love his car so much, I can't help it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th September 2007, 13:34   #102
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Ironically, I happened to be in Bangalore only yesterday.....& didnt come across a single Standard! Of course I didnt get to move about the city much during this trip.....

This Gazel looks like the very last ('77) of the mk2 models going by the lack of side-trims, unless they were taken off...looks like a daily runner...
Well Stan... I'm not very sure about the model of the Gazel but i dont think its used for daily drive now as its been there at the same place for quite sometime now. Looks to be in a very good shape though, well maintained...
Old 29th September 2007, 01:39   #103
BHPian

Hey sorry about my earlier post.The car is a Datsun.i was confuse..my bad..
Old 29th September 2007, 22:46   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody know of Standard Pennant delivery vans? I happened to catch a glimpse of one in this '60s tamil flim song (although the main car is the Merc. cabrio in it!):

......can also spot many Standard 10 & Pennant taxis (very popular in Madras until the late 70s I believe) besides a couple of '62 Heralds (seen for just a split second)....so never mind even if you dont understand the language.....

Songs/movies like these make me badly wish I'd existed back then!

Last edited by Stanher : 29th September 2007 at 22:50.
Old 29th September 2007, 23:17   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Songs/movies like these make me badly wish I'd existed back then!
Just saw the song - Madras looks so neat and clean! Well paved roads, marked pavements, et al

Most Viewed