Team-BHP - Standard cars in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Standard cars in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/28590-standard-cars-india.html)

hi guys..this is a standard salon 1965 model.
I spotted this car in traffic..asked its owner about it..he invited me to his place took a few pictures..he has also converted this car into CNG..he is planning to restore it in a few dats.he also has a morris..his friend some MR.Ali has a post world war-2 jeep and a vintage audi...which he bought from nizam of hydrabad some years back.the person in the background of one of the pictures is the owner.he was awonderful gentleman..answered all my questions..i wud catch up with him in afew days n post the pictures of the morris and the vintage audi..and the jeep the audi is black and yellow !
Mods owner has no problem with posting the pictures with the lisence plate.
he even took our forums webadress he is going to visit us soon..

Thats a Standard Herald. It looks like an open top which has been fitted with a hard top. The top looks like a Fiat one.

Edit : Sorry didnt open up the pics to check them properly. Thats indeed the original roof. Nicely maintained car. Just needs a good paint job.

was his morris in good condition?

Am just waiting for Ram to reply on this.

Amazing car that!!! Never seen one in such an original shape... complete with all original badges too! Can't wait to see it once it is restored. :)

It's nothing but a rebadged Triumph. Similar chassis were used for the TR-2 and the Spitfire.

Seems to be in pretty good condition. Nice find.

'vintage' is the wrong terminology. 'classic' is more suited.

It isnt in the best of conditions, but good to see that someone cares about these relics of Indian motoring history.

the owner said he is goin to repaint it ..n restore it some extent n then call me up for the next photo session!
the morris is in good condition as he said.he is goin to get it from chennai.its goin to take him 15-20 days.
am eager to see the black and yellow audi..its about 50 years old.and the post worldwar-2 jeep!!
man they must be some sight ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12
Am just waiting for Ram to reply on this.

waiting for gita saar eh? ;)

I owned 1974 Powder Blue 4 door Standard Herald. It was a great car and gave me years of troble free service. The only problem it had was the leakage from both the brake & clutch master cylinders. Most Heralds had rear Axles breakage problems but this was arrested by use TVS Hardened bolts and nuts and the Loctite thread lock adhesive. After doing this it never ever gave me trouble for almost 3 years. I sold it for 12K in 1985.

The car's engine at idle RPM would purr like an Aircraft engine with propellors. Boy was it the envy of my neighbourhood ? The 2 door sports version of this car was given away as first prize for the best " Wills made for each other (couples) Contest " held by ITC.

So long....

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunroy
I owned 1974 Powder Blue 4 door Standard Herald. It was a great car and gave me years of troble free service.

You or your parents?!

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
You or your parents?!

Hey v1p3r, that was my Dad's posting about his old days. My mom and he were a part of that Contest and I guess he got carried away.

So long....

good car you have buddy, all you need is a nice paint job, make a soft convertable top for it.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
'vintage' is the wrong terminology. 'classic' is more suited.

Any car thats over 30 years old is classified as Vintage. Correct me I am wrong.

BTW, The Standard herald was the car that was given only to the CMDs' of the Company for their official use. It was quite a classy car in its days. Had a wnderful Floor shift unlike the Ambys and the Fiats. I wonder if anyone can provide the actual cost of the new car in those days, the late 60s and the early 70s.

So long....