Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 03:58   #61
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coventry, UK
Posts: 5
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the duty is 34.5 percent of the landed cost.
OK, that sounds fine. Have you got a link to any customs/goverment page which mentions this. Just in case they cause some issue, I can have a print out of the tax page ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
For self consumption upto INR 25,000 customs usually do not bother. I have bought goods amounting to 10 -15 K inr (scale models, tools, parts etc.) but have had no issues at all.
OK, thanks. Though I would still need to declare it, right? I mean I will have to go through red channel, rather than green channel?
auto.enthusiast is offline  
Old 5th December 2013, 19:58   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KartikeyaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 2,823
Thanked: 11,876 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto.enthusiast View Post
OK, thanks. Though I would still need to declare it, right? I mean I will have to go through red channel, rather than green channel?
Just walk through the green channel , you don't need to declare.
KartikeyaL is offline  
Old 6th December 2013, 05:40   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,467
Thanked: 828 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto.enthusiast View Post
OK, that sounds fine. Have you got a link to any customs/goverment page which mentions this. Just in case they cause some issue, I can have a print out of the tax page ready.

OK, thanks. Though I would still need to declare it, right? I mean I will have to go through red channel, rather than green channel?
Where is green and red channel in India. There is only one way out. On arrival card there is a column saying "total value of goods being imported" just write 4-5 inr and you are done. No questions asked.
manishalive is offline  
Old 6th December 2013, 06:12   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Import of used parts/engines are not permitted in the Indian customs policy. Imports thru Courier or as cargo, are held back, demanding, certified engineer's valuation, and then adjudication etc. With great trouble, penalties they are cleared
C.S.ANANTH is offline  
Old 6th December 2013, 12:03   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KartikeyaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 2,823
Thanked: 11,876 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Where is green and red channel in India. There is only one way out. On arrival card there is a column saying "total value of goods being imported" just write 4-5 inr and you are done. No questions asked.
Quote:
GREEN & RED CHANNELS

There are two Channels of Customs clearance for arriving passengers:
(i) Green Channel - for passengers not having any dutiable goods or other items for which declaration is required; and
(ii) Red Channel - for passengers having dutiable goods or any other items for which declaration is required;
Find more info here:

http://www.customsmumbaiairport.gov....aspx?LinkID=61
KartikeyaL is offline  
Old 6th December 2013, 12:08   #66
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,828
Thanked: 18,916 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Where is green and red channel in India. There is only one way out. On arrival card there is a column saying "total value of goods being imported" just write 4-5 inr and you are done. No questions asked.
I hope you mean write the value of the goods being imported and not merely INR 4-5
ajmat is offline  
Old 6th December 2013, 13:46   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,467
Thanked: 828 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I hope you mean write the value of the goods being imported and not merely INR 4-5
I am sorry for the typo error and the confusion. I meant INR 4-5 k or 4000-5000.

Custom guys have difficulty in accessing values old car stuff, tools and Scale models. I have bought an Fluke Scope meter worth USD 2000 and a Vibration analyzer worth USD 4500 all without any hassles .

Last edited by aah78 : 18th January 2017 at 22:33. Reason: Typo.
manishalive is offline  
Old 6th December 2013, 14:22   #68
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coventry, UK
Posts: 5
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I am sorry for the typo error and the confusion. I meant INR 4-5 k or 4000-5000.

Custom guys have dificulty in accessing values old car stuff, tools and Scale models. I have bought an Fluke Scope meter worth USD 2000 and a Vibration analyzer worth USD 4500 all without any hassels

OK, so everyone seems to suggest that I don't need to declare it. I read on the Mumbai customs website that each passenger is allowed to bring 35K worth goods. That rule is for Indian residents, but also seems to apply to tourists (i.e. me since I'm not an Indian resident,but have an Indian passport).
Link to Customs page:
http://www.customsmumbaiairport.gov....aspx?LinkID=64

Thanks everyone, I guess it should be OK, and I won't be declaring it since it seems like it's allowed anyway.
auto.enthusiast is offline  
Old 24th March 2017, 10:32   #69
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 931
Thanked: 544 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

I want to import used motorcycle fuel tank, need help in understanding
1> Is it legal to import used spare part in India?
1.1> If yes, is this as simple as buying it from eBay and choosing the courier company which will delivery it at doorstep after clearing the custom?
1.2> Any documentation required for importing anything that is not machine but used spare like fuel tank, plastic parts ?

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 13:58   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 2,280
Thanked: 1,913 Times
Default Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I want to import used motorcycle fuel tank, need help in understanding
1> Is it legal to import used spare part in India?
1.1> If yes, is this as simple as buying it from eBay and choosing the courier company which will delivery it at doorstep after clearing the custom?
1.2> Any documentation required for importing anything that is not machine but used spare like fuel tank, plastic parts ?

-Pramod
Many people I know have imported parts for motorcycles, I too have and they were delivered without a fuss, but I usually prefer someone to hand carry when they are returning from US and getting them shipped is very expensive and a bit prohibitory at times.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks