Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 03:58   #61

Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the duty is 34.5 percent of the landed cost.
OK, that sounds fine. Have you got a link to any customs/goverment page which mentions this. Just in case they cause some issue, I can have a print out of the tax page ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
For self consumption upto INR 25,000 customs usually do not bother. I have bought goods amounting to 10 -15 K inr (scale models, tools, parts etc.) but have had no issues at all.
OK, thanks. Though I would still need to declare it, right? I mean I will have to go through red channel, rather than green channel?
Old 5th December 2013, 19:58   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto.enthusiast View Post
OK, thanks. Though I would still need to declare it, right? I mean I will have to go through red channel, rather than green channel?
Just walk through the green channel , you don't need to declare.
Old 6th December 2013, 05:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto.enthusiast View Post
OK, that sounds fine. Have you got a link to any customs/goverment page which mentions this. Just in case they cause some issue, I can have a print out of the tax page ready.

Where is green and red channel in India. There is only one way out. On arrival card there is a column saying "total value of goods being imported" just write 4-5 inr and you are done. No questions asked.
Old 6th December 2013, 06:12   #64
BHPian

Import of used parts/engines are not permitted in the Indian customs policy. Imports thru Courier or as cargo, are held back, demanding, certified engineer's valuation, and then adjudication etc. With great trouble, penalties they are cleared
Old 6th December 2013, 12:03   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where is green and red channel in India. There is only one way out. On arrival card there is a column saying "total value of goods being imported" just write 4-5 inr and you are done. No questions asked.
Quote:
GREEN & RED CHANNELS

There are two Channels of Customs clearance for arriving passengers:
(i) Green Channel - for passengers not having any dutiable goods or other items for which declaration is required; and
(ii) Red Channel - for passengers having dutiable goods or any other items for which declaration is required;
Find more info here:

http://www.customsmumbaiairport.gov....aspx?LinkID=61
Old 6th December 2013, 12:08   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hope you mean write the value of the goods being imported and not merely INR 4-5
Old 6th December 2013, 13:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I hope you mean write the value of the goods being imported and not merely INR 4-5
I am sorry for the typo error and the confusion. I meant INR 4-5 k or 4000-5000.

Custom guys have difficulty in accessing values old car stuff, tools and Scale models. I have bought an Fluke Scope meter worth USD 2000 and a Vibration analyzer worth USD 4500 all without any hassles .

Last edited by aah78 : 18th January 2017 at 22:33. Reason: Typo.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 14:22   #68

Quote:
I am sorry for the typo error and the confusion. I meant INR 4-5 k or 4000-5000.

Custom guys have dificulty in accessing values old car stuff, tools and Scale models. I have bought an Fluke Scope meter worth USD 2000 and a Vibration analyzer worth USD 4500 all without any hassels

OK, so everyone seems to suggest that I don't need to declare it. I read on the Mumbai customs website that each passenger is allowed to bring 35K worth goods. That rule is for Indian residents, but also seems to apply to tourists (i.e. me since I'm not an Indian resident,but have an Indian passport).
Link to Customs page:
http://www.customsmumbaiairport.gov....aspx?LinkID=64

Thanks everyone, I guess it should be OK, and I won't be declaring it since it seems like it's allowed anyway.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:32   #69
BHPian

I want to import used motorcycle fuel tank, need help in understanding
1> Is it legal to import used spare part in India?
1.1> If yes, is this as simple as buying it from eBay and choosing the courier company which will delivery it at doorstep after clearing the custom?
1.2> Any documentation required for importing anything that is not machine but used spare like fuel tank, plastic parts ?

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 13:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I want to import used motorcycle fuel tank, need help in understanding
1> Is it legal to import used spare part in India?
1.1> If yes, is this as simple as buying it from eBay and choosing the courier company which will delivery it at doorstep after clearing the custom?
1.2> Any documentation required for importing anything that is not machine but used spare like fuel tank, plastic parts ?

-Pramod
Many people I know have imported parts for motorcycles, I too have and they were delivered without a fuss, but I usually prefer someone to hand carry when they are returning from US and getting them shipped is very expensive and a bit prohibitory at times.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 16:29   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Import of used parts/engines are not permitted in the Indian customs policy. Imports thru Courier or as cargo, are held back, demanding, certified engineer's valuation, and then adjudication etc. With great trouble, penalties they are cleared
Hi this is not true, atleast for me. I have imported lot of Used Car Spares (Engine parts, electronic parts & hard to find interior bits) from the US for the past couple of years using Fedex/DHL and never once have been charged anything over 45% of the invoice as customs duty, nor any questions have ever been asked by the Customs. I have used parcel forwarding services such as MYUS.COM and Stackery. My experience has been seemless and hassle free so far. I usually order the spare on Ebay and ship it to the parcel forwarding address in USA and they forward it to my Indian Address. Hope it benefits people out there.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 14th July 2021 at 16:33.
ShortShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 22:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Hi this is not true,
You are right, KS motorsports, a Tuning outfit in Mumbai who do a lot of engine swaps, do sell/swap brand new LS3 and he did mention they did import some used 2JZ from the US for their W124 swap.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 14:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hi this is not true, atleast for me. I have imported lot of Used Car Spares (Engine parts, electronic parts & hard to find interior bits) from the US for the past couple of years using Fedex/DHL and never once have been charged anything over 45% of the invoice as customs duty, nor any questions have ever been asked by the Customs. I have used parcel forwarding services such as MYUS.COM and Stackery. My experience has been seemless and hassle free so far. I usually order the spare on Ebay and ship it to the parcel forwarding address in USA and they forward it to my Indian Address. Hope it benefits people out there.
I would like to know more on this. As in how much weight u can send through this way? I've been searching for few parts and all that im getting is from salvage yards in US, who doesn't offer international shipping. So really curious to know more on this channel
Old 5th August 2021, 16:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithin.J View Post
I would like to know more on this. As in how much weight u can send through this way? I've been searching for few parts and all that im getting is from salvage yards in US, who doesn't offer international shipping. So really curious to know more on this channel
Hi I ordered an Intake Manifold for my Volvo which weighed roughly around 45 pound's (20kgs, packaging weight included) and shipped it using Myus.com parcel forwarding service, they sent it using Oversize Package Option of Fedex and costed approx 300$ for shipping, I think you can send package upto 150 pounds limit. Took close to two weeks for it to reach my Hyderabad address.

I used the Individual Import route for which KYC was required with aadhar card matching the destination address. Customs were cleared without any questions asked and they charged approx 45% of Invoice value (Shipping Cost Included) as import duty (Including IGST).

You just have to make sure the parts are clean and dry of any oil or fluids and packaged properly. Also make sure the Invoice is on the same name as in your KYC documents to avoid hassles during Customs Clearance. The entire thing costed 50% of what the showroom quoted for the spare, so it definitely was worth the few weeks of waiting. You can PM if you have any further queries

Last edited by ShortShifter : 5th August 2021 at 17:04.
ShortShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 18:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I have imported lot of Used Car Spares (Engine parts, electronic parts & hard to find interior bits) from the US for the past couple of years using Fedex/DHL
Can you tell me which websites you use to order such spares? I need similar hard to find parts for a VW Jetta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks