Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 07:09   #1
BHPian

A modified vintage car?

Could there be any possibility of using a modified vintage car in India?
I mean for example a herald car with turbo,mpfi engine under the hood or with power windows,power steering,A/c etc while it looks like a herald apparently?
Old 10th October 2007, 14:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

uhhm like a hotrod?

I wouldnt mind doing that to a Fiat or somtihng, somthing that isnt that rare.
Old 10th October 2007, 18:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Khanak.......there were loads of people who did all kinds of mods on Heralds, but back in the day when they were more common.....there is just one type of modified Standard that I really like.....its this mini Jeep made on the running gear/underside of a Standard 10.....have seen a few of those here in Hyd.....not sure bout other places..
Old 10th October 2007, 18:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think GT-32R is undertaking a project like that with a Herald. Why dont you ask him.
Old 10th October 2007, 19:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I think GT-32R is undertaking a project like that with a Herald. Why dont you ask him.
Actually he did intend to but is still looking for a Herald to execute that project! 'asked me to find him one but they've gone far too rare here now!
Old 10th October 2007, 19:27   #6

i personally woudnt do that to old cars....fiat yes but not a herald for sure
Old 10th October 2007, 19:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

i know a guy who is doing up a 60's belair with a toyota crown engine if i remember right and disc brakes like the hotrods. the car should be ready in a months time. modern day reliability with the classic look.

stanher in pune there were the junked heralds that karl had posted pictures of. if they come in handy and if the cars are for sale.
Old 10th October 2007, 20:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

guys there are dime a dozen cars where the engine is missing. for instance titus has an advertisement for a hudson for a lakh of rupees without an engine. now that would be a good hot rod project. in my opinion unlike america where vintage cars and bikes are a plenty in our country there are basically a few cars to begin with. why screw around with things that are restorable?
Old 10th October 2007, 21:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
guys there are dime a dozen cars where the engine is missing. for instance titus has an advertisement for a hudson for a lakh of rupees without an engine. now that would be a good hot rod project.
mole the hudson you speak of is only body. there is no chasis, engine seats or anything it is all bare or rather say he is giveing it that way. i have seen the complete car minus the engine(since he was keeping it for some reason best known to him) and had given him an offer for it.
you would have to find everything to make it a hod rod. from chasis to all other parts. the body only will be there with you. does it yet sound like a good hotrod project to you. not to me atleast.
i also agree that cars that are beyond restoration should be made hotrod projects and not restorable cars.
Old 10th October 2007, 21:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

well speedy there are a lot of good candidates on our disintegrating vintage car thread. i agree with just a body. the project is pretty much a non starter. i would love to do a hot rod project sometime in the near future though. need one of these 40's american cars. with a dud engine. i am looking!!!
Old 10th October 2007, 21:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
well speedy there are a lot of good candidates on our disintegrating vintage car thread. i agree with just a body. the project is pretty much a non starter. i would love to do a hot rod project sometime in the near future though. need one of these 40's american cars. with a dud engine. i am looking!!!
i second you amol. i wanted to do it too. had a daimler body too. everything else was missing so it was ideal. then someone wanted the chasis so there went my plans.
even with the candidates from the disintegrating vintage car thread half the cars are too far finished or the owners dont want to sell.
it is my dream to build a hotrod too, just like my avtaar. 40's american and nothing spared. someday we shall build a wolf in sheeps clothing .
Old 10th October 2007, 22:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i know a guy who is doing up a 60's belair with a toyota crown engine if i remember right and disc brakes like the hotrods. the car should be ready in a months time. modern day reliability with the classic look.
Speedy - If it is the same guy that I'm thinking about, then he's doing up a '62 Chevrolet Impala with a Toyota 2JZ 3.0 litre, straight-6 engine, gearbox & running gear. Good power, reliability, air conditioning & old-school looks.
Old 10th October 2007, 23:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Speedy - If it is the same guy that I'm thinking about, then he's doing up a '62 Chevrolet Impala with a Toyota 2JZ 3.0 litre, straight-6 engine, gearbox & running gear. Good power, reliability, air conditioning & old-school looks.
yes yes ishan same car sorry impala not belair. i thought it was a crown engine. my bad
Old 11th October 2007, 02:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well I've seen one stock Herald Mk 1 with a small Toyota turbo. Homemade job, decently done. Just a little extra pep, nothing major.

There's this other guy who has a Herald and a Chevy V6. If and when he puts them together, it ought to be fun.
Old 11th October 2007, 07:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
i personally woudnt do that to old cars....fiat yes but not a herald for sure
I mentioned herald as an example.Fiat would be a better option.
Few months back Mahindra offered custom designed vehicles.
Dilip Chabria does fabulous designs.
Even the body could be new i mean made, keeping the outer design of yesteryear.

Any cars or photographs?

Most Viewed