Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 20:45   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Of course i have!!

Also, i have a few queries.
  • The engine is very similar to a Lando Sidewalve engine. Is it the same?
  • Can a Normal Amby Engine be fitted into this?
  • Also, can we put Amby parts in General in this.
  • Are trims available? If yes, Where.
This is one of those cars i have been eyeing since a lonnng time. And i am trying to persuade the guy into selling it. How much do Fully Restored ones go for??
Ans 1 The Hillman Minx 's had the 1185cc side valve engines. Landmaster and Hindustan 14 engine is side valve 1489 cc. Amby engine is also 1489cc OHV. Earlier Ambys 1958 onwards had side valve engines till 1960.
Ans 2 I doubt if the wider and larger 1489 cc engine can fit into this Minx's engine bay space. Alternatively the 1089cc Premier/Fiat engine should be OK.
Ans 3 Amby parts are not likely to fit on this Minx. I doubt whether any parts could be common other than their ancestory viz. UK.
Ans 4 Maulana and Opera House in Mumbai for spares- guess you know the folks down there better being a Bombayite.
The car appears to be in good condition restoration must not pose much problems.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th August 2008 at 20:49.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:56   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i would let the experts (Karl, Stanher) handle your first three questions.

Why thank you speedy!! I'm truly flattered!

Although seriously I wouldnt be the rifght person to advise on a car like this- I thought you'd have more to say on this in fact!

Last edited by Stanher : 19th August 2008 at 23:05.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:56   #48

Here are detailed pictures of the engine bay for everyone.

HE is running on a Solex carb. Which has MADE IN ENGLAND prominrntly written. It is the Original carb.
Attached Thumbnails
Hillman Minx-dsc02812.jpg  

Hillman Minx-dsc02811.jpg  

Hillman Minx-dsc02810.jpg  

Hillman Minx-dsc02809.jpg  

Hillman Minx-dsc02808.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 21:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus, I'd just been to chor bazaar. Maulana is expecting some Hillman spares, as a '51 car has been broken in some town recently. Run and get your stuff !!
Old 26th August 2008, 20:53   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a rather sad story. I hope I have most facts right, but dont take my word as 100% true.

This virgin Hillman Minx used to belong to the estate of a Parsee family, I think Kapadia. They were two elderly sisters, I think both were spinsters. They lived in a lovely bungalow on Bund Garden road, one that I always admired. One day I see the boundary cordoned off, and demolition work starting. Another lovely little bungalow razed down for an ugly alucobond and glass call centre. Sigh.

I went inside to have a closer look, and I see this untouched Minx and equally untouched 62 Mk 2 Amby (one of the very first) dragged outside and dumped in the middle of full scale demolition. I suppose the new owners must have found the 2 cars in the garages, didnt know what to do with them so dragged them to one side.

Day by day I saw the cars deteriorating (within a span of less than a month!). The cars were so original and untouched, I couldnt believe it. I have never seen such clean bodylines, and all 100% original tin all round. Not a rupee to be spent on the body. We can safely assume both cars were bought new, and were very low milage, plus always stored in dry Pune weather, in an enclosed garage. The Amby was certainly in original paint, perhaps the Minx was too, I cant confirm.

In the midst of all the activity, the workers pried open the boot and used it to store material. They also put in a dent on the rear left. Then one morning the cars dissappeared. I had feared the worst, but then I was informed that a local collector/builder had bought both cars. This was in 2002. Since then both cars have jsut been dumped in his yard in the open, and are falling apart. See what has happened to this once perfect Amby! I dont have any current pics of the Minx unfortunately. I only hope sense prevails and these cars are saved while they still can be. I promise you, in the state they were found they required no expenditure at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Hillman Minx-06.jpg  

Hillman Minx-10.jpg  

Hillman Minx-07.jpg  

Hillman Minx-09.jpg  

Hillman Minx-08.jpg  

Hillman Minx-1111.jpg  

Hillman Minx-2222.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2008, 19:50   #51
BHPian

Dear Karl,
Just go in and ask the builder. He will be glad to part with both. My friend here got an Austin 10 & a Citroen in the same manner.Good luck
Old 27th August 2008, 20:05   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely Karl. We rarely see such neat bodylines.Team BHP classic car lovers here may please try to get these cars. If someone outside Pune is interested can he contact you Karl??
Old 27th August 2008, 21:16   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Dear Karl,
Just go in and ask the builder. He will be glad to part with both. My friend here got an Austin 10 & a Citroen in the same manner.Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Lovely Karl. We rarely see such neat bodylines.Team BHP classic car lovers here may please try to get these cars. If someone outside Pune is interested can he contact you Karl??
The cars were bought by a collector like I said. There about 15-20 other cars in the collection. What saddens me is that these 2 have just been dumped and are totally neglected.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:24   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The cars were bought by a collector like I said. There about 15-20 other cars in the collection. What saddens me is that these 2 have just been dumped and are totally neglected.
They will then soon start to decay like the ones sighted near Lonavala.It takes no time to set in the decay process.
Old 30th August 2008, 11:43   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I had spotted this Minx that appeared to be a daily driver parked at the Blue Diamond hotel in the early 90s. My father had just bought me a cheapy (almost) disposable camera to play around with. Never saw the car before that or after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Hillman Minx-1.jpg  

Hillman Minx-7.jpg  

Old 26th January 2009, 17:24   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Guys, I need help. This car NEEDS to be restored. The owner has asked me for an approximate Cost and time needed for the Resto. Also, if the car is beyond resto, or the car is too difficult to do, i want to buy it from him and slowly do it. Guys, Comments Please.

Note from Support: Reposted pictures removed. Check Post #1 for remaining pictures.

Hi ,

This is Sudeep from Chandigarh right now based in pune and I have inherited an Hillman Minx Mark 2 1948 (imported from UK) . This was owned by my grand father and right now the car is in a very bad state . The bodywork of the car needs to be redone and the same i believe with the mechanicals . I want to restore this legacy to its original glory and need guidance for that . Can you help me on this ? I can post more pictures of the same here .

I would be more than thankful

Sudeep
Old 25th February 2009, 22:54   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Photographed a very very original Hillman Minx yesterday.Its black in colour and would one believe? It has its very original upholstery on the front and rear seats (a bit torn), door inner linings, has the original dash and maybe even the original black paint- will post pictures here soon.
An issue that I have of Classic Automobiles, UK says that Hillmans from the early 1950's had body shells that were prone to rusting. They had also said that the inner chrome plating of the two bumpers are prone to rusting. But thats proved inapplicable for this car.Though there is a little bit of rust bu I am sure -bring along any Premier or Amby from the 1980's that has been uncared for like this car. The Amby or Premier will show more rusting for sure, locations of all the cars being the same.
Old 26th February 2009, 22:53   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the very, very original car.More pictures to follow soon.
Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2389.jpg

Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2388.jpg

Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2387.jpg

Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2386.jpg

Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2385.jpg

Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2384.jpg

Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2383.jpg

Hillman Minx-sonycamv-2375.jpg
Old 26th February 2009, 23:05   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice car! It still looks quite complete and decent, despite the abuse it seems to have been suffering. 'can be easily restored to mint IMHO. Definitely can serve as a worthwhile project.

:sigh: If I were a rich man (soon!).......yabadibidibidibidoo....
Old 27th February 2009, 21:03   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice car! It still looks quite complete and decent, despite the abuse it seems to have been suffering. 'can be easily restored to mint IMHO. Definitely can serve as a worthwhile project.

:sigh: If I were a rich man (soon!).......yabadibidibidibidoo....
Yes true Stanher. The owner is quite possessive about his car but it satnds neglected and comes out during every rally to get into the fitness (only mechanical) mode and complete the run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks