Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 18:53   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette View Post
Attached are pictures of the Hillman before and after restoration.
Can you also share before pictures of the 47 Chrysler visible in the back? Im told it was really in bad shape. A period photo of the car was posted here earlier.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1100200-post303.html

Any contribution you can make to this thread as well?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ly-s-cars.html
Old 12th April 2009, 12:59   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

'was surprised to find this pic. online!

An early 50s Minx taxi in India (said to be Bombay, no idea if true) in a scene from the movie "Where the Spies Are", 1965:

Courtesy: IMCDB (Internet Movie Car Database)

The 2-tone car looks like a late 50s Studey Commander/President, with a LHD Jeep behind it. Cannot identify the grey car though.
Old 12th April 2009, 19:14   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a rather sad story. I hope I have most facts right, but dont take my word as 100% true.

This virgin Hillman Minx used to belong to the estate of a Parsee family, I think Kapadia. They were two elderly sisters, I think both were spinsters. They lived in a lovely bungalow on Bund Garden road, one that I always admired. One day I see the boundary cordoned off, and demolition work starting. Another lovely little bungalow razed down for an ugly alucobond and glass call centre. Sigh.

I went inside to have a closer look, and I see this untouched Minx and equally untouched 62 Mk 2 Amby (one of the very first) dragged outside and dumped in the middle of full scale demolition. I suppose the new owners must have found the 2 cars in the garages, didnt know what to do with them so dragged them to one side.

Day by day I saw the cars deteriorating (within a span of less than a month!). The cars were so original and untouched, I couldnt believe it. I have never seen such clean bodylines, and all 100% original tin all round. Not a rupee to be spent on the body. We can safely assume both cars were bought new, and were very low milage, plus always stored in dry Pune weather, in an enclosed garage. The Amby was certainly in original paint, perhaps the Minx was too, I cant confirm.

In the midst of all the activity, the workers pried open the boot and used it to store material. They also put in a dent on the rear left. Then one morning the cars dissappeared. I had feared the worst, but then I was informed that a local collector/builder had bought both cars. This was in 2002. Since then both cars have jsut been dumped in his yard in the open, and are falling apart. See what has happened to this once perfect Amby! I dont have any current pics of the Minx unfortunately. I only hope sense prevails and these cars are saved while they still can be. I promise you, in the state they were found they required no expenditure at all.
Karl any updates on these two lovely but rotting cars? Hope you will keep us informed about these so original examples.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:55   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Karl any updates on these two lovely but rotting cars? Hope you will keep us informed about these so original examples.
Last I saw the Amby a few months back. Deterioration was visible, but Pune climate favours these cars so damage is cosmetic. Hillman I have not seen in 2-3 years, in that time it was just parked in the open untouched. Again, damage should probably be purely cosmetic, but unfortunate all the same as it would now warrant a repaint.
Old 14th April 2009, 23:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Just to add some Minx trivia.
Cvette has pictured his convertible, Mr. Dossa owns a similar one which came from Delhi. There is still a later one, about 1952 in Pune which came from Hyderabad. These are the only three early Minx convertibles known to me in India. Another Minx variation was the Californian, this had the extra rear windows giving the car a totally different appearance. There were 2 such cars in Mumbai, now they are not seen, probably destroyed. There was also a delivery van type of vehicle, badged as a Commer. At one time very common, now not seen.
The normal 4 door sedan was very very common, they appear in a lot of my old photographs. I still remember a person who had one saying that they were relatively heavy on gas. They were also common as taxi's in Mumbai.

So much for HillmEn.

Cheers
Harit

Last edited by harit : 14th April 2009 at 23:13.
Old 15th April 2009, 01:16   #96
BHPian

Hillman Minx 1936-37 models

Any Hillman Minx 1936-37 models seen or survive now in India, please write.

Hillman 1939 models, Black & Maroon two cars found in Dehli with Mr. K.K.Singh and Mr. Basin recently.

Once I saw in old hindi movie lot of Hillmans in Taxi's on marine drive. Experts like Mr. Harit may have interesting information to share.

Regards,
Old 15th April 2009, 09:40   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Just to add some Minx trivia.
When I was in school one boy was dropped and picked up everyday in a Hillman Husky - appeared to be a wagon variation of the later Minx. It was a light apple green, fully original, missing one wheelcap. I may have the regn. number written down somewhere, maybe MRX. At some point it was repainted an ugly metallic green, and soon was not to be seen. On asking around I was told it was sold for Rs. 5000! This was in the late 90s. Never saw it since, wonder if it survives? It was a daily driver, good runner. Looked similar to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Hillman Minx-2.jpg  

Old 15th April 2009, 10:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
When I was in school one boy was dropped and picked up everyday in a Hillman Husky - appeared to be a wagon variation of the later Minx. It was a light apple green, fully original, missing one wheelcap. I may have the regn. number written down somewhere, maybe MRX. At some point it was repainted an ugly metallic green, and soon was not to be seen. On asking around I was told it was sold for Rs. 5000! This was in the late 90s. Never saw it since, wonder if it survives? It was a daily driver, good runner. Looked similar to this.
There was one Husky like this in Mahableshwar, I saw it 5 years ago. It has lost almost all of its trim, you really have to know what you are looking at.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:40   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There was one Husky like this in Mahableshwar, I saw it 5 years ago. It has lost almost all of its trim, you really have to know what you are looking at.
What colour (or trace of colour!) did it have?
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:51   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Fellow THBPian Shrivz spotted this MPE registered Hillman Minx being towed in Pune a little while back.

Hillman Minx-11.jpg
Hillman Minx-12.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd July 2009 at 14:39. Reason: Fellowship added :D
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

There was a Hillman Minx at a garage in Dadar in about 2002 when I was looking for a classic car project, a Light blue and white car, I was quoted about 35,000 for it. It was supposed to belondg to a gentlemen in poona and I suppose it went back there. does anyone have pics. Probably a late 50's model with a Ambassador like grill.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:50   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
There was a Hillman Minx at a garage in Dadar in about 2002 when I was looking for a classic car project, a Light blue and white car, I was quoted about 35,000 for it. It was supposed to belondg to a gentlemen in poona and I suppose it went back there. does anyone have pics. Probably a late 50's model with a Ambassador like grill.
Amol, late 50s Minx would be the later body style - the Audax series as they were called. Two-tone paint jobs were also more common in those. However, if what you saw was of this profile, then it would be between 1953-55, Minx MkVI or VII, which had the larger grille, although not really Amby-like. Rootes possibly felt BMC designs were lowly, Loewy designs were great though.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

We have a Hillman rotting on the streets very close to my house.Me and Stanher have seen it many times and wondered how the owner abandoned such a nice car to RIP (Rust in Pieces).
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:33   #104
BHPian

I had seen one Hillman Minx 50's model through mechanic he was not giving me owner contact and quoted high price, I did not took interest.
This was during my last vacation in Nov.08. I have snap of this car, will
check my pics lib. This Hillman was seen lying in Warsiguda, seems not used for many years, but looks it has all the things in place.
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:20   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I had seen one Hillman Minx 50's model through mechanic he was not giving me owner contact and quoted high price, I did not took interest.
This Hillman was seen lying in Warsiguda, seems not used for many years, but looks it has all the things in place.
Was it a black one? A similar one from hyd. was posted for sale even on ebay India recently, at a rather steep price for it's condition.

The guy also had a Lambretta and a couple of old bikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks