Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 23:52   #136
Senior - BHPian

there is a similar fire engine lying rotting ( or maybe this is the one! ) in the fire training institue in Kalina Mumbai.
Old 31st August 2008, 10:35   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Abhi, whats the current status of the truck in the second pic (1946 Ford GWD Wagon).
This truck has dissapeared. so i am guessing it either was sold for scrap or went into the ground. the car used to stand at churchgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
there is a similar fire engine lying rotting ( or maybe this is the one! ) in the fire training institue in Kalina Mumbai.
this is the same one fx45.
Old 31st August 2008, 13:57   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Nice pix speedy. I think the following descriptions may be suitable:
1. 1946/49 Dodge
2. 1942-45 CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) Chevrolet/Dodge, most likely this one's a Chevy.
3. 1943-45 Diamond T.
Cheers,
P
Nice pics. Prabhal is right about the first three. The CMP-Chevy seems
pretty interesting. The CMPs like the Willys MB & Ford GPW were made especially for the allied forces for the War, during '42-45. There were plenty of them running as lorries at one time, but now they have become extinct. Folks any CMPs available,please let me know.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:26   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Nice pics. Prabhal is right about the first three. The CMP-Chevy seems
pretty interesting. The CMPs like the Willys MB & Ford GPW were made especially for the allied forces for the War, during '42-45. There were plenty of them running as lorries at one time, but now they have become extinct. Folks any CMPs available,please let me know.

Those CMPs were recently broken in Kurla area less than a year ago, they were used by the Milk Supplier Company owned by the State GOvernemnt. THe usual Cream and Blue trucks. ( MUmbaikars might be knowing them)
Old 7th September 2008, 14:56   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Those CMPs were recently broken in Kurla area less than a year ago, they were used by the Milk Supplier Company owned by the State GOvernemnt. THe usual Cream and Blue trucks. ( MUmbaikars might be knowing them)
What a pity ! They certainly are collectables.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:03   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

This 47 Oldsmobile had made an appearance in the 99 VCCCI rally in Poona, I think entered by Dossa, not sure. She sported strange red plates, which I thought were reserved for royalty.

If I'm not mistaken an Austin A40 with an A40 pedalcar mounted on the roof also made an appearance, and one or both of them were black and yellow.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-02.jpg  

Old 8th September 2008, 19:13   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This 47 Oldsmobile had made an appearance in the 99 VCCCI rally in Poona, I think entered by Dossa, not sure. She sported strange red plates, which I thought were reserved for royalty.
This car belongs to Mr.Dossa. If i remember right it is the Cream and Red one you see today or a different one not sure. this one stood with us for a while and if memory serves right this was the sort of number plate that was proposed for all recognised (by the club) Vintage and classic cars to sport.

Last edited by speedy : 8th September 2008 at 19:16.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:40   #143
BHPian

Recently I was in Jaipur and had gone to see some Classic Car. In the same premises, I saw a Classic Truck, which requires restoration. Since I am not interested in Vintage/ Classic commercial vehicles, I did not make further enquiry. I was told the vehicle is for sale. Just for the sake of record, I had taken some photographs, which I am uploading. Hope they are of some interest.

S.B.Jatti.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00558.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00559.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00560.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00561.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00562.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00563.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00564.jpg  

Old 10th September 2008, 15:14   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
This car belongs to Mr.Dossa. If i remember right it is the Cream and Red one you see today or a different one not sure. this one stood with us for a while and if memory serves right this was the sort of number plate that was proposed for all recognised (by the club) Vintage and classic cars to sport.
Comments from Harit.

Quote:
About the Oldsmobile taxi of Nitin. It was painted in these colours for a shoot. You will see that there is no taxi meter. I have a numbe of photos of taxis, even vintage tourers. But I have never seen this model Olds as a cab. Very popular were Chrysler products, Fords and Chevys. Later Morris Minors, Austin, Vauxhall etc. In Goa there were Mercedes, Opel, Peugeot, Holden Taxis upto the mid seventies.
Harit
Old 27th September 2008, 22:56   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comments from Harit.

can you post those pics of the vintage taxi's so that i can see them.
Old 28th September 2008, 09:34   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
Recently I was in Jaipur and had gone to see some Classic Car. In the same premises, I saw a Classic Truck, which requires restoration. Since I am not interested in Vintage/ Classic commercial vehicles, I did not make further enquiry. I was told the vehicle is for sale. Just for the sake of record, I had taken some photographs, which I am uploading. Hope they are of some interest.
This would be a 1945 Chevrolet 1-1/2 Ton:

Old Chevy Truck 1945 Chevy Dump Truck

Or could it be a 1/2 ton pick-up?!:

James Droge's 1945 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton -- Restoring an old Chevy truck

It seems to still have the original "stovebolt" 6 engine? The chrome is surprinsgly still in good nick after all these years!

I would love to pick it up if only I had the resources to park it, leave alone restore it!

Do I see a likely candidate for Chip Foose in this?

Last edited by Stanher : 28th September 2008 at 09:38.
Old 28th September 2008, 13:41   #147
BHPian

Guys those CMP trucks, iremember seeing one in Mayapuri about 6-8months back, though it was'nt there when i when back again after a couple of months, so i wish its in good hands and not scrapped. It was from a fresh army auction and that got me thinking. I mean, i've heard there are still unauctioned Army Ford/Willys in Assam, and then this one creeps up from the middle of nowhere. Theres a truck here in chandigarh(in sec 9) standing in a municpality godown(probably a bedford or a chevy, but a 1-2 ton trouck) and then there are 2 standing in the same type of godown in sec 27(dodge and chevy, both 0.5-1 ton trucks), all of these unloved and uncared for.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:42   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

A Vanguard Phase 2 taxi here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/999696-post537.html
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:25   #149
Senior - BHPian

thanks carlos for that link.
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:18   #150
BHPian

Recently I saw a 1931 Chevy Van for sale. Originally this had a wooden body. But the owner had replaced it with an Aluminum body like a bus. Rest of the vehicle was OK but it required full restoration.Asking price was very high. I now understand that this was sold for 5.5 lacs. Who says that prices are heading south?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks