Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 02:29   #226
Senior - BHPian

A few comments on the last posts.

As far as I remember, BEST also had daimler double decker busses and they were automatic.

The Chevy truck in Nagpur has an original petrol engine, rare because most were dieselised.

The Coimbatore Chevy bus ran with a burner. This converted wood and/or coal to fuel. One Museum I visited has a Merc 170V with a similar system installed. The burner unit itself was a Mercedes-Benz product. Shall post pics when I return.

Many of the Goa busses had a brass body. There used to be one lying in Calangute village, Chevrolet truck 1935. I believ a goan collector bought it.
Old 3rd June 2009, 21:59   #227
BHPian

Hi all,
As I have told you, I have got the pics of Bedford J4 (1959) & also some information about it.
The information is as follows:
The truck is first owned by Baba Sheth, A Muslim Trader of Mangoes & Beetlenuts. He owned it from 1959 till 1966, bought in Mumbai showroom somewhere in Girgaum (Opera House). The truck, first has got the Petrol Engine, A 6-Cylinder,In-Line Petrol 4992cc Engine(Made in UK). Baba Sheth used it as a goods vehicle.
Then he sold the truck to Mr. Kamlakar Shridhar alias Mama Vaidya, who is from my native place Guhagar (District - Ratnagiri). He also used it as a transport vehicle, for carrying mangoes from Guhagar to Mumbai. He used the original petrol engine till 1980 & then replaced it to Perkins P6 Diesel Engine, made by Simpsons Limited, Madras. He kept the truck in a very immaculate condition till he sold it in 2006.
The third owner is Sandeep alias Bhaiyya Devkar, he has also kept the truck in a very good condition & in 2007, he changed the engine to Tata 697 Turbo. He is still using the it in a stone mine & trying to keep it in a good shape.
Hope all of you like the pics.

Regards,
Hrishikesh
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc02763-large.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc02766-large.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc02767-large.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc02770-large.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc02775-large.jpg  

Old 4th June 2009, 00:17   #228
Senior - BHPian

thats a nice truck there.. the front mid point where the wheel is bolted.. is also of Tata i think.. ( dunno the correct name of the part) can u shed some mroe light on tata 697 engine? is it frm 1210 series or the newer 16xx series?
Old 4th June 2009, 06:44   #229
Senior - BHPian

Any Info on "Fargo" Trucks.Remember saw these in large numbers until 1997-98.
Old 4th June 2009, 08:58   #230
BHPian

@ fx45,
You are correct, the mid portion where the wheel is bolted is of Tata's as both the axles have been replaced by Tata 1210 series axles.
The engine is from 1210 series.
The interesting fact about the truck is that the fuel tank is still original with a level indicator on the outside of tank itself, as you can see in the pic still working.
Regards,
Hrishikesh.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:34   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Hi all,
As I have told you, I have got the pics of Bedford J4 (1959) & also some information about it.
Heartening to know the vehicle is still in active service, and the vehicle does not look too bad as well. Thanks for sharing. Am sure Ratnagiri must still have more such gems plying the roads.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:43   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks Rishikesh for getting the pics. Well you even got the whole list of owners of this truck . Too bad the rotting cars at the palace were sold as scrap. Dont you wish you had got a chance to take picsof the cars during your earlier trips..
Old 4th June 2009, 12:39   #233
BHPian

@ Karl,
There were some VW Beetle & Dodge (6-Cylinder one) used to be there at Hedvi at a bank's compound, as its loan is not paid, but those are scrapped about 2-3 months before.
There are some Tata-Mercedes trucks in Savantwadi used by Fire Depatrment; someone has also posted the pics.
At Thiba Palace in Ratnagiri, there are some Chevrolet, Fiat & Dodge which were used by King Thiba of Fiji who has been under the eye at Ratnagiri after British got Fiji.

@Edward,
The bank officials doesn't allow me & also my uncle who is living there for taking the pics of cars.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:42   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Too bad the rotting cars at the palace were sold as scrap. Dont you wish you had got a chance to take picsof the cars during your earlier trips..
What cars were present at the palace? When were they scrapped?

A TMB truck is spotted here

CLASSIC INDIAN TRUCK OLD GOA on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-000.jpg
Old 4th June 2009, 15:11   #235
BHPian

Quote:
@ Karl,There were some VW Beetle & Dodge (6-Cylinder one) used to be there at Hedvi at a bank's compound, as its loan is not paid, but those are scrapped about 2-3 months before.
Rishikesh, which cars were scrapped ? I thought the palace cars were scrapped ????
Old 4th June 2009, 17:07   #236
BHPian

@ Edward,
The cars at palace were not scrapped. The Dodge (6-cylinder petrol) & VW Beetle were scrapped.

@ Karl,
At Thiba Palace, there is one Fiat 1100 (like Rupesh Vora's one), A Dodge (don't know the name) & also a Chevy (estate like)
Old 4th June 2009, 17:36   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@ Edward,
The cars at palace were not scrapped. The Dodge (6-cylinder petrol) & VW Beetle were scrapped.

@ Karl,
At Thiba Palace, there is one Fiat 1100 (like Rupesh Vora's one), A Dodge (don't know the name) & also a Chevy (estate like)
Thats a shame that the Beetle and Dodge were scrapped. They are in great demand by collectors, or could have atleast provided many valuable spares. I wonder if the breakers kept any parts.

Whenever possible, do try and get pictures of the palace cars.
Old 4th June 2009, 21:19   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What cars were present at the palace? When were they scrapped?

A TMB truck is spotted here

CLASSIC INDIAN TRUCK OLD GOA on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Had seen Old TATA Buses and Lorries as above here as driving school vehicles.Would Try to Capture the 2 lorries I saw with kerala body.
Old 4th June 2009, 22:33   #239
Senior - BHPian

still love the lines and built of the 1210D.. I think tata should put a new BS3 or BS4 engine and relauch it as 1613D..
Old 4th June 2009, 23:01   #240
Senior - BHPian

Its my dream to own a tata mercedes truck preferably a fire engine. I will be waiting when the Sawantwadi fire dept decides to let theirs go

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks