Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 13:17   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have a slight doubt if this is a Bedford. A frontal picture would clarify. I feel that this is an American rig.
It was mentioned in the article as A '47 Bedford, the trailer being built by Brontford Coach & Co. Canada.

I do have pic. or two of the front- incidentally, even the above side pic. (bus in red) was taken by me in B'lore and posted here. 'will search for it in my yahoo! archives.
Old 25th July 2009, 13:39   #332
BHPian

Quote:
I have a slight doubt if this is a Bedford. A frontal picture would clarify. I feel that this is an American rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
It was mentioned in the article as A '47 Bedford, the trailer being built by Brontford Coach & Co. Canada. I do have pic. or two of the front- incidentally, even the above side pic.
I'll go with Harit. I think this is a Ford F6, or F5.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:41   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Here goes the article from Auto India june/july '99 issue
That article is fraught with inaccuracies, I'm sorry. This is not a Bedford, but like I said before a Ford F5 or F6.

Edit:
Secondly, the Ford F series was introduced in 1948, so it also can not be of 1947 vintage as written in the article.

Last edited by Prabal : 27th July 2009 at 15:43.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:58   #334
Senior - BHPian

OOPS my bad Thank you Mods for removing the article...
Old 28th July 2009, 12:51   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

An old American (?) truck rots on the streets of Calangute, Goa.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-calangute.jpg

Calangute roads on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks to moralfibre for the links

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th July 2009 at 14:44. Reason: thanksgiving
Old 7th August 2009, 11:48   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I saw this bus yesterday. 'can't make out what make it is, but guessing it's a Leyland?

'seems to be part of some govt. auction, I can see it belonged to some govt. medical college?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Has to be a Bedford if i am not wrong. Do you have any other picture from a different angle ?
'happened to pass by that side on Sunday and the bus was still at the same spot.
'took only this pic. from the rear though.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-img_3472.jpg
Old 7th August 2009, 20:07   #337
Senior - BHPian

Found these while browsing , Sikkim National Transport (S.N.T) Mercedes vehicles....
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-sikkim-snt-2.jpg  

Attached Images

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2009, 23:17   #338
Senior - BHPian

Which van/truck is that in the 1st pic of the Sikkim's Fleet?
Old 8th August 2009, 00:19   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Which van/truck is that in the 1st pic of the Sikkim's Fleet?
Thats a Mercedes Benz Mini bus/Van very popular in that age, There was one in Bombay in Khar till a few yrs back. Very Very original, it dissapeared I last heard someone opened it up and now its totally messed up beyond salvage.
Old 8th August 2009, 00:52   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Thats a Mercedes Benz Mini bus/Van very popular in that age, There was one in Bombay in Khar till a few yrs back. Very Very original, it dissapeared I last heard someone opened it up and now its totally messed up beyond salvage.
These Merc vehicles are 319, L319 for trucks and O319 for busses. See the pic below, taken from prewarcar.com but courtesey Coys/ Daimler AG.
These buses also had multiple windows, similar to the VW Vans.
The bus in Khar may have been originally from Air India.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-merc-bus.jpg  

Old 8th August 2009, 10:38   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These Merc vehicles are 319, L319 for trucks and O319 for busses. See the pic below, taken from prewarcar.com but courtesey Coys/ Daimler AG.
These buses also had multiple windows, similar to the VW Vans.
The bus in Khar may have been originally from Air India.
It used to be a school bus for a school in Khar, One of my friends used to go to school in that. It had the skylight type windows as pictured in your photo apparently it was sold for around 3 lakhs then taken apart and now abandoned, I am told its still there somewhere in a garage near Khar station.
Old 8th August 2009, 11:19   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
It used to be a school bus for a school in Khar, One of my friends used to go to school in that. It had the skylight type windows as pictured in your photo apparently it was sold for around 3 lakhs then taken apart and now abandoned, I am told its still there somewhere in a garage near Khar station.
You are right, a school had this bus. But few schools bought them brand new, maybe second hand from-Air India. In the seventies Air India had German Mercedes Benz buses, at least two of them and one bus like this.
There is a chance, but need not be, that this was the Air India bus. BTW, I understand that Ait India also had a Unimog.

Last edited by harit : 8th August 2009 at 11:21.
Old 11th August 2009, 19:32   #343
Senior - BHPian

Calcutta Double Deckers

Someone recently mailed me a superb set of pics, containing scenes from Kolkata in the 1940s. I'll try to distribute the automobile pics across various threads in order of relevance.

Putting up a few pics of the Double Decker buses. Any ideas on the make?
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-old-calcuttadouble-decker-bus.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-old-calcuttatwo-double_decker_buses_1945.jpg  

predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2009, 00:23   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone identify what make this Fire engine is? I'd earlier mentioned this very one in this thread but never got to take any pics. of it. I used to see this sitting unused in a corner for the last 20 odd years since my childhood at a fire station belonging to the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) at Tarnaka here. And then while the Fire-station was partially demolished during a road-widening a few months ago, I saw the whole thing being stripped and scraped off it's paint and then in the process of getting repainted. Then it disappeared from there.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-img_3508.jpg

And the other day I saw this pic. of the same fire engine, now fully 'restored' (seemingly) in a local Telugu daily. I can't read Telugu so had a shopkeeper there read out the article- the make isn't mentioned, just says it was made in 1933 and from London. It is said to have been originally lying at Punjagutta Fire station before being moved to the aforementioned one at IICT, Tarnaka where it lay for years until it was moved out recently. It is said to now be put up at some educational institute (maybe on Fire safety, seeing another Fire engine in the background) at some place on the outskirts of the city (couldn't get the name properly- those from AP/who can read telugu can make out I guess) and there are now plans to move it eventually into Salar Jung Mueseum(!)

It seems reasonably complete with it's original equipment at the rear. Those huge wheels seem period for most older Fire engines.

Incidentally, the IICT Fire station also had a few other interesting vehicles including 2 Bedford Fire engines, both eventually laid up by the roadside for few years before I think they were scrapped. And also a Pista Green Fargo pickup that was also junking away right outside the Fire station around 10 years ago.

Last edited by Stanher : 13th August 2009 at 00:40.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:03   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Someone recently mailed me a superb set of pics, containing scenes from Kolkata in the 1940s. I'll try to distribute the automobile pics across various threads in order of relevance.

Putting up a few pics of the Double Decker buses. Any ideas on the make?
Nice busses and again with war paint on the mudguards.
Here is a side/rear view of a BEST bus. Registered BMP, so of the early 1960's. This picture came in a big lot of photos to do with bus and truck body building. Front picture is with me. Chassis was most probably Leyland. There were also a whole lot of other buses for Maharashtra, Gujrat, Bihar etc. state transport cos. There were also a lot of interior pictures.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-best.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed