Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 18:05   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Quit it doc. Is the Tata 1210 even a classic?
Production of the long nose Tata 1210-D ceased in 1975 when the semi-forward control (short nose) 1210-S was introduced. So yes, it can be considered a classic, more so when you consider the fact that it looked almost identical to early 1950s' Mercedes Benz L-312 from which it was derived. When Tata offered this truck to Uganda, the notorious Idi Amin who ruled the country then, told Telco officials, "You are offering me Hitler's truck but I'll buy it. I like Hitler."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I presume these are the first of the plain TATA trucks, and no longer the T-MB ones. Personally, I like trucks this way - simple and 'clean' with none of the gaudy artwork and other 'sajaawat' that trucks in India are normally seen in! Weird me!
I too like them that way!
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 19:37   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Production of the long nose Tata 1210-D ceased in 1975 when the semi-forward control (short nose) 1210-S was introduced. So yes, it can be considered a classic, more so when you consider the fact that it looked almost identical to early 1950s' Mercedes Benz L-312 from which it was derived. When Tata offered this truck to Uganda, the notorious Idi Amin who ruled the country then, told Telco officials, "You are offering me Hitler's truck but I'll buy it. I like Hitler."
I too like them that way!
directinjection True the Tata 1210 has a classic body line and I am sure it is a classic. How many of these are still sighted today?
predatorwheelz you may need to get your homework done.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th May 2011 at 19:38.
Old 8th May 2011, 16:08   #558
BHPian

Identify this pick-up

My friend captured this battered old pick-up in Munnar. I can't quite pinpoint the make, though it's a variety of a Jeep IIRC. Please help.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-209833_129008590509449_100002009276476_208948_739976_o.jpg
Old 8th May 2011, 16:10   #559
Senior - BHPian

Re: Identify this pick-up

Its a Willys Wagon. A pretty rare piece. Any idea where I can find it, cos I have been looking to restore something like this!
Old 8th May 2011, 16:38   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
My friend captured this battered old pick-up in Munnar. I can't quite pinpoint the make, though it's a variety of a Jeep IIRC. Please help.

Attachment 541434
This one is a late 1950's to early 1960's Willys Station Wagon with the pick-up body, to haul goods.I am sure the original Hurricane petrol engine must have been swapped for some crude diesel now. The wiper configuration is original, but the windscreen seems to have been borrowed from the CJ series Jeep.The 4WD version of the Station had split windscreen (two units) while the RWD (2WD) version had the full and single windscreen. Also these had chrome plated bumpers with no bumper guards. The bumper of this pick-up is borrowed from some other source.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th May 2011 at 16:51.
Old 8th May 2011, 16:48   #561
BHPian

As pointed out by fellow members, this is a Willy's wagon. It was probably one of the world's first SUV.

you can read more about this mean machine on wikipedia

Willys Jeep Station Wagon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am attaching a reference pic for you
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-54willyswagon.jpg  

Old 8th May 2011, 17:26   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Its a Willys Wagon. A pretty rare piece. Any idea where I can find it, cos I have been looking to restore something like this!
Sure, I'll ask my friend where exactly she found it. It seems to have been forgotten by the owner. Pretty special and rare considering it's an original pick-up and not a converted one.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:29   #563
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. I would really appreciate that.
Old 8th May 2011, 19:26   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, I'll ask my friend where exactly she found it. It seems to have been forgotten by the owner. Pretty special and rare considering it's an original pick-up and not a converted one.
You can also ask this gentleman since this truck is also featured on his flickr album:

willys station wagon 1960 kerala | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Incidentally, I wonder if the doors had fallen off or were intentionally taken off.

Last edited by Stanher : 8th May 2011 at 19:28.
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 19:57   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can also ask this gentleman since this truck is also featured on his flickr album:

Incidentally, I wonder if the doors had fallen off or were intentionally taken off.
Shyam thanks nice pictures! Thats a 4WD version of the Station Wagon and these would have split windscreens.The dash is modded. The meter console is from the Marshal.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th May 2011 at 20:00.
Old 9th May 2011, 18:17   #566
BHPian

Quote:

They're the same I guess. Any info on the location?
Old 9th May 2011, 20:37   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I would really appreciate that.
Locations definitely in Munnar. I'm waiting to see if theres any news of the owner.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:10   #568
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 541434
Quote:
There is a Willys Wagon in good condition in kerala which was featured in a recent Mohanlal movie "Ividam Swargamanu"

I guess vehicle is in good condition because the vehicle is shown frequently all through the movie , A screen capture from the movie

Name:  willys.bmp
Views: 6819
Size:  635.7 KB
Old 12th May 2011, 17:15   #569
BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing to suggest that it is an original pick-up, as no remains of the "original pickup " remain. maybe the vehicle documents may show us the correct origin.

regards
-invinci
Old 12th May 2011, 20:31   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
There is nothing to suggest that it is an original pick-up, as no remains of the "original pickup " remain. maybe the vehicle documents may show us the correct origin.

regards
-invinci
How do you mean it's not an original? Is it cause the vehicle is in bad shape? Or have parts been swapped?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks