Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 11:18   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
You have posted a picture of the TELCO made Tata 1210 truck that came sometime in the mid 1960's (1966 if I am not mistaken). The Merc collaboration with TELCO was passe and the brand became Tata in 1966.
The 15-year technical collaboration with Merc came to an end in 1969 and that's when (1) TMB became Tata (2) Star logo got replaced by the "T" inside circle. If I remember correctly, 1210 was introduced in 1964. Will check and revert. Cheers!
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 16:42   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

There were also the "flat-face" cab TMB trucks, ie. the engine being within the cabin. I remember seeing a few of them running around a decade ago, with the 3-pointer logo intact but otherwise very shabby condition.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:41   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Thank you anjan sir for the information. The picture was for just a rough idea. All i am sure about is the BYW registration. There were no logos present on it. And it actually looked little narrow than usual trucks. Hope i get to see it again so that i can get a picture.

Priyadarshan
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hello,

Yesterday i spotted a water tanker on Solapur road, Pune which looked like a an old Tata truck which has the engine in front the driver's cabin. Dont know what that type of construction is called. Also there were round head lamps fitted on both mud guards. The picture attached shows a similar truck. The registration no. was BYW. It was raining so couldnt take any pics. Any idea on the make and year?

Priyadarshan
Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The 15-year technical collaboration with Merc came to an end in 1969 and that's when (1) TMB became Tata (2) Star logo got replaced by the "T" inside circle. If I remember correctly, 1210 was introduced in 1964. Will check and revert. Cheers!
Quote:
The BYW (Bombay State registration) truck will have to be a pre-1960 Tata Mercedes Benz truck.The three pointed star would be a prominent feature on its front grille and the Merc logo atop its front end was also prominent. It would have had a single windscreen,lower ground clearance and the width would have been a wee bit lesser than its successor. You have posted a picture of the TELCO made Tata 1210 truck that came sometime in the mid 1960's (1966 if I am not mistaken). The Merc collaboration with TELCO was passe and the brand became Tata in 1966.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
That model would be the Tata 1210D, ultra rare now in cities like Mumbai. Some days ago I saw a Tata 1210D that had Tata and Mercedes badges in Mumbai, it had a Maharashtra registration and was ex-Municipal truck but looked very sparingly used since all the logos and rear tail-lights, everything was quite intact. Sadly It was broken up in the next 2-3 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
There were also the "flat-face" cab TMB trucks, ie. the engine being within the cabin. I remember seeing a few of them running around a decade ago, with the 3-pointer logo intact but otherwise very shabby condition.
directinjection you are right. The Tata-Mercedes Benz collaboration was during 1954-69.
Here is a brief pictorial profile:
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-tatamercedes_emblem_79.jpg
The Tata Mercedes Benz logo (TMB)
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-tatabenz.jpg
A TMB earliest truck model
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-20tata2.jpg
A TMB Forward Control earliest model- Stanher's post
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-tata1210.jpg
A TMB 1210 from the 1960's-note the three pointed star and the split windscreen. The blue and black truck to the right has another OE TMB feature. The vertical, gear- shaped rods above the front bumper with a gear knob like top. These used to give the driver an idea of the bumper width of the truck.
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-telco-logo.jpg
The new TELCO logo after Mercedes Benz and Tata parted ways! Parting is a historic reality and a way of life in the automotive world, so why are many of us so flummoxed about the Hero and Honda parting?
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc08097.jpg
A Tata 1210 much like the one priyadarshan.b posted.This one also has the gear-shaped rods above the front bumper.
(pictures source google images)
In fact, finally in March 2010 Daimler AG, the company that owns Mercedes Benz, sold the entire 5.34 % stake (worth US $ 401 million) in Tata Motors to Tata ending the more than five decade old relationship.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st September 2011 at 18:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 23:47   #604
Senior - BHPian

These 1210Ds are super rare these days, I wish I could buy one and keep it as a collector's item.
Old 3rd September 2011, 22:41   #605
BHPian

Sirs ,

I picked up a massive V-8 petrol engine - it's made in Russia can anyone identify this engine ?
It dwarfs the 1948 Ford V-8 stored next to it.

Regards
Chauhan
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0050.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0051.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0052.jpg  

Old 11th October 2011, 20:58   #606
Senior - BHPian

1974 model leyland hippo dumper - sale by e-auction by bhadravati steel plant on 13.10.2011 . those interested to possess one of these , may call Phone: 08282-271621-29, Extn-2048 FAX NO: 08282 - 271611
DY. GENERAL MANAGER (MM)

thanks and regards,
vinay kamath 098451-94814

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2011 at 21:42. Reason: Removing [Font] tag, avoid copy pasting from external font editor. Also do a Preview before posting. Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 01:00   #607
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what this red Crane is? I suppose its an AL...but which year and make?

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-img0291a.jpg
Old 14th October 2011, 01:12   #608
BANNED

Quote:
The vertical, gear- shaped rods above the front bumper with a gear knob like top. These used to give the driver an idea of the bumper width of the truck.
The rods were angled that way to help the truck driver to have an understanding of the width of the loading bed behind. The cabin was narrower then the loading bed.

Inspired by the cats whispers.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 01:47   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The rods were angled that way to help the truck driver to have an understanding of the width of the loading bed behind. The cabin was narrower then the loading bed.

Inspired by the cats whispers.
Interesting info, never knew this. Btw, I think you meant the cat's whiskers
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 10:46   #610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
whiskers
INDEED!! Thanks for correcting that.
Old 17th November 2011, 20:31   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Mercedes Benz, Mercedes Benz and Tata 1210 trucks evolving:

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-tatabenz.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-themercedesbenzl35004.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-121001.jpg
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-tmb-truck.jpg
Name:  121002.JPG
Views: 19750
Size:  186.3 KB

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-121003.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-121004.jpg
As one can see that at the point where the engine bay ends in the older single windscreen model, the driver's cabin does not suddenly widen.Whereas in the 1210 series truck's, the driver's cabin becomes wider. the air intake cowls (foldable) are also fitted to ventilate the cabin.
The ground clearance is also more for the 1210.
The front axle also seems to me more in length (transversely) in the 1210 series.
Old 18th November 2011, 09:01   #612
BHPian

MORRIS Z VAN.
These vans were used in Chennai (nee Madras) by Spencers, Textile Dealers & Postal dept. I got this from Bangalore & restored it. I am told by the Morris Register that a company; Utilevan, specially built 100 vans with twin & single side windows.But today,hardly a few single side window vans are surviving
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-100_0669.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-100_0668.jpg  

C.S.ANANTH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 10:34   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As one can see that at the point where the engine bay ends in the older single windscreen model, the driver's cabin does not suddenly widen.Whereas in the 1210 series truck's, the driver's cabin becomes wider. the air intake cowls (foldable) are also fitted to ventilate the cabin.
The ground clearance is also more for the 1210.
The front axle also seems to me more in length (transversely) in the 1210 series.
1210 model was introduced in 1964 and coincided with the completion of ten years of Tata's collaboration with MB. The partitioned windscreen with wider cab (or cowl) was introduced much before the introduction of 1210 model. This is apparent from the black and white pic you have posted of the tipper truck. That picture of the harbour shows the first truck exported by Tata being loaded on to the ship. It was exported to Sri Lanka (then Cylone) in 1961. As you can see, it has a partitioned windshield and wider cab. However, it is not a 1210 but its predecessor, the L 312 which was a 9 tonner (GVW). 1210 wasn't around that time.

Actually, the narrow cab and single windshield appeared on Indian made L 312 only for a short time. Even while the collaboration with Merc was on, Tata made several changes and improvements in the Merc truck to make it ruggedised and more suited for India. That's how the 12 tonne GVW 1210 evolved.

Last edited by directinjection : 18th November 2011 at 10:44. Reason: spelling correction
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 01:25   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
MORRIS Z VAN.
These vans were used in Chennai (nee Madras) by Spencers, Textile Dealers & Postal dept. I got this from Bangalore & restored it. I am told by the Morris Register that a company; Utilevan, specially built 100 vans with twin & single side windows.But today,hardly a few single side window vans are surviving
It looks sooo cool. Great restoration!! Please post some interior and engine photos.
Old 24th November 2011, 17:58   #615
Senior - BHPian

I hope this qualifies for this thread. If not mods please remove it.

Today had been to Excon exhibition, Caterpillar stall was the biggest and prominent. I was pleased to see massive display.

We had a very old of 1920's vintage crawler tractor on display (had a magneto and sparkplugs, is gasoline fired). For Trivia prior to Caterpillar name, the products were known and branded as Holt machines. In 1925 we became Caterpillar of what world knows now. The Cat logo that you see is the first generation one. Holt name was continued for few years and then discontinued.

Most Viewed