Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 13:55   #76
BHPian

Good work Karl, never seen many of them before. Thanks for sharing.
Remember seeing the one from Bangalore, really those were beautiful vehicles.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:53   #77
BHPian

Not sure whether these 2 belong here...
Spotted couple of years back when the guage conversion project between Mangalore - Hassan was on.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn1713.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn3919.jpg  

Old 5th June 2008, 15:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats quite a find. There must be so many more still in active service with various state governments. Did you see this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/676291-post28.html
Just stumbled upon this thread. I had seen a similar truck rumbling on the Pune-Nashik highway (near Nashik) a few months ago. Had also seen the Pune parked at Chandini chowk once. They perform pretty decently on the highway too.
Is that a Mack B series truck btw ?
Old 5th June 2008, 16:14   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Spotted couple of years back when the guage conversion project between Mangalore - Hassan was on.
Wow that forest cover is spectacular. What time of the year was the picture taken?
Old 5th June 2008, 16:56   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wow that forest cover is spectacular. What time of the year was the picture taken?
July. Post monsoon arrival.
Old 5th June 2008, 20:17   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats quite a rarity. One has recently arrived in Pune and is being restored. He tells me that the Pope had donated one to each state in India at the time.

Only one way to find out now isn't there?
Karl, interesting thread this ! I thought I was a rare commercial vehicle enthusiast apart from my vintage cars and bikes. I find more such enthusiasts! Please do let me know if you find any more interesting commercioals like the Citroen van for sale.
In fact I have been looking out for a Citroen van for a long time, used to search for it in Pondicherry. But no luck. This interest in Citroens because I have a 1946 Traction Avant 11BL.
The commercial van I am restoring is a 1946 Ford Thames E83W.Have a look at it in my photo site :
S.Srivardhan's Photographs :: Fotopic.Net and the same in an unrestored form in E83W | Fordson & Ford Thames 10cwt van (in the menu see Indian Minibus/Estate)
Hopefully, I may get a Morris Commer too.
Old 5th June 2008, 20:26   #82
BHPian

I think Railways have this as common, even I remember trucks on track in Konkan Railway works, good view though..Thanks
Old 5th June 2008, 21:32   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Karl, interesting thread this ! I thought I was a rare commercial vehicle enthusiast apart from my vintage cars and bikes. I find more such enthusiasts! Please do let me know if you find any more interesting commercioals like the Citroen van for sale.
In fact I have been looking out for a Citroen van for a long time, used to search for it in Pondicherry. But no luck. This interest in Citroens because I have a 1946 Traction Avant 11BL.
The commercial van I am restoring is a 1946 Ford Thames E83W.Have a look at it in my photo site :
S.Srivardhan's Photographs :: Fotopic.Net and the same in an unrestored form in E83W | Fordson & Ford Thames 10cwt van (in the menu see Indian Minibus/Estate)
Hopefully, I may get a Morris Commer too.
Nice van youve got there! But how do you manage with rubber & trim parts? Do you get them fabricated or imported?
Also do you know of any early Standard 20 vans (pre-micro) for sale there in Madras? I havent seen one in Hyd. for more than 5 years now!
Old 7th June 2008, 18:15   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice van youve got there! But how do you manage with rubber & trim parts? Do you get them fabricated or imported?
Also do you know of any early Standard 20 vans (pre-micro) for sale there in Madras? I havent seen one in Hyd. for more than 5 years now!
The rubber trims, I normally match something similar to the originals from some other vehicle or with the sample match something similar even if it is not for automotive use. If nothing works then of course, import is the option. Will look out for the early models of Standard Twenty.
Old 14th June 2008, 21:02   #85
BHPian

'81 Standard 20 pickup

Hi, I spotted this 1981 Standard 20, and took a couple of (mobile camera) photos. Excuse the quality. Spoke to the driver, who was thrilled that someone was photographing his vehicle. Couldn't get too many photos, a small crowd of tempo drivers collected, probably wondering, why is this nut photographing this old van? What the driver told me next was interesting...he told me there was a yard at Yeshwantpur, close to B'lore proper, full of old vehicles, including Standard 20's, Plymouths, Chevys, Dodges. He told me I could take many photos over there. Will try and find this place.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00799.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00800.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00803.jpg  

Sidman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2008, 23:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

where is this pic taken... looks somewhere down south... these are exotics here in mumbai.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2008 at 04:21. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:56   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

A neat Mercedes bus is spotted in Goa here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/897649-post362.html.

It reads St Xavier's, I assume it is a school bus.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:36   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

This makes me share a couple of memories- there is an old late 40s/50s type Fire engine sitting unused and gathering dust in a corner of the Fire station at IICT (Indian Institute of Chemical Technology), Tarnaka, over here. 'cant identify the make but the logo seems to be an American one.
I have been seeing it there since the mid 80s, I was 5-6 years old! when I used to pass by that road mostly with my dad in his Gazel those days.
Of course I remember that back then it was in use. They also had a Bedford Fire engine, which, years later (around 90s), ultimately suffered a sad fate, being dumped on the roadside outside the fire station, later moved across to the opposite side of the road where it lay junking away until 2001 or so after which it disappeared (obvious guess where to!)
Worse still, said institute also had a pista green 50s Fargo pick-up truck, which was quite complete albeit a tad rough, also lay abandoned alongwith the Bedford (before the latter was moved to the opposite roadside) until it disappeared as well!
Sadly I didnt have my own camers than so no pics. of these relics!

And I doubt if they'll allow me to take any of the remaining Fire engine either (there are cops managing the Fire station for one thing, so asking for photos is an absolute no-no!) unleess I get hold of some friendly local influencial person there!

Last edited by Stanher : 9th July 2008 at 22:37.
Old 10th July 2008, 14:41   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Im in phase two of digitising my records, and here are a set of my all time favourites taken by my father in Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar Feb 92.

An early 40s (?) Dodge, methinks this model would have had those ugly but bold square headlights. For reference see a somewhat similar car at a recent Bombay rally.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-1.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-2.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-3.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dodge01.jpg

A 46-48 Ford. These were also very popular in Junagadh, and last I heard there were still 6 running.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-01.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-02.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-03.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-04.jpg

I would see these taxis for a couple of years more, then they just dissapeared. There was a 49-50 Chevy Styline Delux taxi junking at Wai junction for years, isn't there any more.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:21   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Tmb Bus In Nasik

Is that you Karl? I guess so, the similarity is showing.

Finally found the TMB bus in Nasik near my house today. Here are the photographs.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00400.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00402.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00403.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc00405.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks