Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 15:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread

India has more than her fair share of beat up old trucks, vans, taxis, rickshaws and the like, so I thought they should be documented before they die an undignified death. Tighter emission norms are just around the corner.

Here are a few pictures Ive gathered from various public sources online, many from the forum itself, plus some that Ive shot. I also have many neat photos of the old Mahabaleshwar Taxis, but will have to hunt for those. Does anybody else have them? Or the Junagadh taxis, Delhis phatphatiyas and the like?

Here are a few Standard 20s, once the mainstay of many Govt depts even the post office. Based loosely on the Standard Atlas, they are now extinct.

This van has been convenietly converted to an office.

Spotted this Army van alongwith 3 more, on their way to be scrapped. Just in time!

This picture of a Bedford bus was sent to me by Shyam. Can you fill in the details Shaym?

This 60s Bedford minibus was purchased at an auction a few years ago, and was earlier used by the UNICEF. The auction lot details and UNICEF logo (painted over) are still visible on the side. It again is used for storage, and is now steadily sinking into the ground.

karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2007, 15:31   #2
BHPian

ooooooh that must be in Bangalore it says "Banasahankari" name of a Godess.... and i see the BMTC/KSRTC logo on the front door.
Old 26th November 2007, 15:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This 47 Ford truck is regularly spotted in the cantonment area, and apparently belongs to the NDA. (picture shot through my rear windscreen, hence the sticker)

This one was we spotted at Wai. Ram had put up a post earlier as well.

A Chevy from a similar era.

Thanks to Steeroid for finding this rare Ford V8 truck down south.

The Hindusthan J6 and Shaktimaan

Last edited by karlosdeville : 26th November 2007 at 15:32.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2007, 15:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I spotted this run down Ambulance in Bombay a few months back.

At the same trip this strange VW conversion, also probably an Ambulance once upon a time, was doing Time Control duty at a rally.

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2007, 15:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A 1914 Fire Engine, from the Nizam days, though I think its in Delhi now.

A Bedford at Goa.

A superbly restored Dennis fire engine of the Poona Fire Brigade, still retaining its Rolls Royce engine and working equipment.

karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2007, 16:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread Karl, thansk a lot for sharing.

Iv always wanted to own a classic truck, IMO it would be a really ncie part of a collection, maybe even a fire engine which would probably be one of the most interesting and exclusive vehicle in any collection.
Old 26th November 2007, 16:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great thread Karl

Btw does this advert qualify ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rg/rd_ad_l.jpg
Old 26th November 2007, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Love this thread.
Pls rename the thread from "commercials" to " commercial vehicle" thread.
Quite misleading , u know.
Old 26th November 2007, 17:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey Karl nice thread dude. Keep them coming we would love to see history unfold right here on tbhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
ooooooh that must be in Bangalore it says "Banasahankari" name of a Godess.... and i see the BMTC/KSRTC logo on the front door.
The bus is still there and is on display. Just walk to the main entrance of the Inter-state bus stand and you will find it there.
Old 26th November 2007, 18:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

----------- OT -------------

That RD350 ad was a really nice ad. Great copy.

It would be nice if there could actually be a "Classic Advt Commercials" thread, starting with Technocrat's post. I'd love to see more ads (classic or present-day).

------------------------------
Old 26th November 2007, 19:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
----------- OT -------------

That RD350 ad was a really nice ad. Great copy.

It would be nice if there could actually be a "Classic Advt Commercials" thread, starting with Technocrat's post. I'd love to see more ads (classic or present-day).

------------------------------

Am actually working on it, should put it up soon.
Old 26th November 2007, 19:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Two weeks back when i came to bangalore, saw something like this. I was on a walkway over the bus station, so couldn't make out exactly. is this from bangalore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Love this thread.
Pls rename the thread from "commercials" to " commercial vehicle" thread.
Quite misleading , u know.
Pls rename the thread from "commercials" to " commercial vehicle" thread. I also thought its for old ads (advertisements)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th November 2007 at 19:36.
Old 26th November 2007, 22:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
Yup of course its in Bangalore! I'm surprised you werent aware of this bus- its at the main (front?) entrance gate of the Majestic Bus station.....can be seen as you walk towards the computerised reservation office....

Karl I'm afraid I cannot recollect all the details of this bus, but you can find it in an article in one of t he Auto India mags circa 1999 (cant remember which month! .....)
It was through that article that I got to know of this bus in the first place (then shown in its original blue with a white stripe paint)
It said that the cab of this bus (dating from the early 50s if I recall right!) was built by Bedford, with the coach built by Brontford coach co. in Canada.
Once withdrawn from service around the 60s it was used as a cash counter for local fairs in Shavadhatti & Banashankari in Karnataka.

Quoted by the authorities to have been subjected to various modifications (including perhaps the original petrol engine being replaced by a diesel one) to keep it running as is the case with commercail vehicles in our country!

Incidentally this reminds me of an old WW2 era-ish minibus that I dont know the make of with an original Hyderabad state (pre-AP) registration displayed outside the APSRTC zonal workshop near RTC cross-roads/VST.

'must get a pic. of it next time I see it!

Also spotted what looked like a really old pre-WW2 bus that again coulndt identify, put up in the middle of the waiting hall at Vijayawada bus station........but not so well-kept (infact the front fenders and wheels were used as clothes-stands by the transit passengers there!).....
Old 26th November 2007, 22:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
hmm.. Good find, Technocrat.

ZAK's Cafe, eh ?
Old 26th November 2007, 22:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

great work Karl. its nice to see the trucks being honoured in this way, everyone forgets them along the way ( including myself). now i can take pictures of the trucks as well.
do check out the address of the truck i had given you. she too would qualify here karl. thanks

Most Viewed