Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 22:22   #136
BHPian

Thats true the Quality Premier has made up in there cars in far better than other cars of that time.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:27   #137
Senior - BHPian

Fashion in a man's world!

Hi,

Couple of oldie adverts of Lambretta from 1957. This was the "Old Shape" models. My uncle owned one and for several years from 1967 to 70 yours truely was its official cleaner (no one had heard of the "anti child labour laws" those days I suppose).

Eventually I was rewarded for the above labour as he allowed me to start riding his Crusader in 1970 (first bike I ever rode).

Hope you enjoy the "Fashion in man's world" ( I am glad that by 1960s the fashion had definitely changed in man's world )

Best Regards & Ride/Drive Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-lambretta-may-57.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-lambretta-sept-57.jpg  

r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 18:47   #138
BHPian

Quote:
And did you know Bajaj 3 wheelers too were available in the US in the 80s?
They are still available today.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:52   #139
BHPian

@ r nairtvm,
These lambrettas were called as Lambretta Innocenti 150. They used to have a API logo on the middle of their handle.
BTW, good find.
dhrishikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 20:29   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Couple of oldie adverts of Lambretta from 1957. This was the "Old Shape" models. My uncle owned one and for several years from 1967 to 70 yours truely was its official cleaner (no one had heard of the "anti child labour laws" those days I suppose).
Hope you enjoy the "Fashion in man's world" ( I am glad that by 1960s the fashion had definitely changed in man's world )
Wow, what lovely well-preserved pics.!!

The scoots look simply awesome! Although I can't really figure out the first pic. with the uncanny comparison with the Saree-clad lady...?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
These lambrettas were called as Lambretta Innocenti 150. They used to have a API logo on the middle of their handle.
BTW, good find.
These ones in ram's pics. were actually called "LD", there was a more "open" version called the d, or colloquially "open ld" in India. These were shaft-driven (similar to drive-shaft system in cars) unlike the later "Li" that were chain-driven.
And no, Innocenti Lambrettas NEVER had an API logo ANYWHERE on them. Even the various mechanical parts were stamped with "Innocenti" logo only.
API only assembled them, it was only on the post '62 series 2 that they started badging with API logos.
Old 15th December 2009, 09:52   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, what lovely well-preserved pics.!!

API only assembled them, it was only on the post '62 series 2 that they started badging with API logos.
Stanher,

Can you clarify the above.

My dads Lambrettas 1966 and 1975 both had the "Lambretta" badge on the Horncast.

API badging I think may have started with the Lamby and Mac brands.

Best Regars & Ride/Drive Safe

Ram
Old 15th December 2009, 14:06   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My dads Lambrettas 1966 and 1975 both had the "Lambretta" badge on the Horncast.
API badging I think may have started with the Lamby and Mac brands.
Hi ram,
While I have seen a few "Lambretta" horncast badges that you mention (one of which was acquired by our tbhpian sidman, fixed on his 1970 Lambretta), I'm positive that the API badging was commonly used on all post-62 Li's, and continued on the subsequent (Lamby, MAC) models.
However, to add further, the very first of the API-made Li's ('62-63 I presume) had a different badge that said API and Lambretta, the background being the same as the Innocenti badge. Very rare to find these now.

Last edited by Stanher : 15th December 2009 at 14:07.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:23   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hi All!

Here is one of the old advertisement for Dodge Cars from the 1950s - then being made in India by PAL.

I wish they had used more actual photo bsaed adverts those days than these types, then we could have got a better look at the cars

Hope you enjoy this.

Best regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-dodge-car-oct-54.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 15:45   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All!

Here is one of the old advertisement for Dodge Cars from the 1950s - then being made in India by PAL.

I wish they had used more actual photo bsaed adverts those days than these types, then we could have got a better look at the cars

Hope you enjoy this.

Best regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

I think the charm of this age is in the artwork that went on these auto ads and brochures. I love the flamboyant stylistic ways the artists made the cars look sometimes better than actual.

As far as this car goes, I have fond memories of it we had this car until about 1980. I think subsequently my dad sold it to a friend who diselised it. It was black with red interiors and very tiny fins unlike the later kingsways.

I am still looking for a Kingsway like this.

Last edited by the mole : 17th December 2009 at 15:47.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:28   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I think the charm of this age is in the artwork that went on these auto ads and brochures. I love the flamboyant stylistic ways the artists made the cars look sometimes better than actual.

As far as this car goes, I have fond memories of it we had this car until about 1980. I think subsequently my dad sold it to a friend who diselised it. It was black with red interiors and very tiny fins unlike the later kingsways.

I am still looking for a Kingsway like this.
Mole,

Did you mean the Dodge "Jet Fin" as seen in PAL advertisement below

Best Regards

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-dodge-jet-finr-sept-57.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 17:37   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mole,

Did you mean the Dodge "Jet Fin" as seen in PAL advertisement below

Best Regards

Ram
Hi Ram, nice ads.

Not the fin one it was the earlier one you posted sans the fins. Did you notice both the advertisements do not mention Kingsway anywhere. Just say Dodge. For some reason my dad calls the earlier finless Model (which we had) as a "Police model"
Old 20th December 2009, 10:03   #147
Senior - BHPian

Styled to Stay Beautiful!

Hi,

Still staying on Dodge!

Dodge De Soto 1949

The Catch Line of the Copy says it all about the car. It would still turn heads for the right reasons in any of the "modern" cities in the world.

The period of this advert is really notworthy. Just 4 year past the WW II, in May 1949 - USA had a market such luxury vehicles.

Now we know (have proof ) as to who really benefited from the war.

Hope enjoy the looks of the car

By the way could any of the Classic Experts elaborate the "Tip-Toe" Shifting being advertised as the main feature of the model (see the copy)

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe!

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-dodge-desoto-may-49.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 20th December 2009 at 10:05.
Old 20th December 2009, 10:23   #148
Senior - BHPian

Lambretta 1960

This is actually an advertisement for a group of insurance companies in the US from early 1960.

But for the Lambretta Aficionados it shows a beautiful Lambretta.

I am not sure if this model was ever made by API in India. If I am not mistaken, they bypassed this and from the Innocenti models to the Lambretta/Lamy/MAC shape which was there until the early 1990s

The model shown here is a mixture with Fixed Mudguard and HL fixed on the horn cast – compared to the – moving mudguard & the fixed HL on the horn cast of the Innocenti models

Hope the Lambretta brigade enjoys this

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-lambretta-april-60.jpg  

Old 20th December 2009, 12:59   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if this model was ever made by API in India. If I am not mistaken, they bypassed this and from the Innocenti models to the Lambretta/Lamy/MAC shape which was there until the early 1990s

The model shown here is a mixture with Fixed Mudguard and HL fixed on the horn cast – compared to the – moving mudguard & the fixed HL on the horn cast of the Innocenti models
Nice pic.!

It is an Innocenti model, and was very much assembled by API in India, as they did until the early 60s. It was made only for 2 years, 1958 and '59.

lambretta series 1 - Google Images

This was the first of the chain-driven Li Lambrettas, known as the series 1. It replaced the older shaft-drive LD, which you'd posted previously.

The series 2 that we know better, was very much the same in design except for the horncast/handlebar, which were interchangeable with the series 1, which meant that many s1 in our country were sadly converted to s2 for better reliability of the moving headlight compared to the fixed one!

And now that the s1 is a rare and relatively valuable machine here, the vice-versa is happening!

Last edited by Stanher : 20th December 2009 at 13:01.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:04   #150
Senior - BHPian

New Fiat 1100 - Rs 9,750/- only!

Hello All,

Happy New Year 2010!

But to get the deal/steal announced you will have to "time travel" to the January of 1955!

See the attached advertisement for Fiat 1100. The price was Rs 9,750.00 (as given in the copy).

Hope you enjoy this especially the Fiatians here.

Thanks, Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-fiat-1100-jan-55.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks