Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 11:36   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
But to get the deal/steal announced you will have to "time travel" to the January of 1955!

See the attached advertisement for Fiat 1100. The price was Rs 9,750.00 (as given in the copy).
Superb! Thanks so much for sharing. Which magazine is this from?

Quote:
The "new 1100" is not only a car with a great history, it is a car with a great future
And what a future it was. I wonder if they had any idea
Old 28th December 2009, 11:54   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

See the attached advertisement for Fiat 1100. The price was Rs 9,750.00 (as given in the copy).

Hope you enjoy this especially the Fiatians here.

Thanks, Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks a ton Ram for sharing this ad. Amazing find. Some more such ads
Old 28th December 2009, 12:10   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Superb! Thanks so much for sharing. Which magazine is this from?

And what a future it was. I wonder if they had any idea
KD.

The advert was from Readers Digest

The future - Exactly my thoughts when I was reading the copy

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 28th December 2009, 12:20   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Thanks a ton Ram for sharing this ad. Amazing find. Some more such ads
Arun,

When you ask I have to oblige .

Another one from the summer of 61. By then I guess the guys were wise enough not to publish prices.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-fiat-1100-sep-61.jpg  

Old 28th December 2009, 12:25   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun,

When you ask I have to oblige .

Another one from the summer of 61. By then I guess the guys were wise enough not to publish prices.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram
Thanks Sir, I am just loving it.

Its the first time I am seeing the word "Select". Never seen in any other ad or manuals.
Old 28th December 2009, 16:56   #156
Senior - BHPian

MM Himalayan Rally 81 - Winners

Hi All,

Though not a classic period advert (only 29 years old) I thought this should be put up here.

I am sure the MM Brigade here would appreciate this.

This I think is the result of 1981 Rally (as the advert was out in August 1981) - could be 1980 as well

Are any of the guys associated with these two jeeps in the forum now?

If so please stand up and take bow to a round of applause 30 years on!
(Christmas and New Year is the time to be nostalgic and dig around in ones memorabilia box - so please excuse this old fool for coming up with one bit after another)

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mm-himalayan-aug-81.jpg  

Old 30th December 2009, 12:14   #157
Senior - BHPian

nobody likes your like Chevrolet!

Hi All,

Attached is an advertisement for the "classic" "Impala". Featured model is the Impala 4 Door "Sports Sedan"

For many of my generation "Impala" was synonym with luxury. Even the car shown here look like a poetry in motion.

Copy of the ad is interesting. It boasts of a line up of "18 Sizzin new models for 60". Even today with exception of some like Toyota and the big B, not many can claim this verity even taking their global production in to account.

There we a lot of Impalas in India, wonder where they are all!

Best Reagards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-chev-impala-apr-60.jpg  

Old 12th January 2010, 19:51   #158
BHPian

Here are the brochures of Jaguar Mk VII.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_1_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_2_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_3_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_4_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_5_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_6_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_7_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_8_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_9_l.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-mk7_50_hessian_a_10_l.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 10:49   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Though not a classic period advert (only 29 years old) I thought this should be put up here.

This I think is the result of 1981 Rally (as the advert was out in August 1981) - could be 1980 as well

Are any of the guys associated with these two jeeps in the forum now?

If so please stand up and take bow to a round of applause 30 years on!

Ram
Somehow just saw this today.
There is something about these Mahindra's which they did not mention in their advert. I combine this with a story.
Two years after the rally, I was travelling by Gujrat Express to Ahmedabad. We should have reached around 7AM, at 8 AM we were at Sanjan. It had rained so heavily, everything was flooded and we only saw water and tracks. By 1PM we reached Baroda, train did not go further and was turned back. We were stranded, three of us got together, one kept our seats, one went to buy the return tickets and the third went to buy food and water. One of these guys was from Mahindra and we got talking about a lot of things including the Mahindra results at the Himalayan Rally. Here's what I told him, that the engines were from Mitsubishi. He admitted to this and wondered how I knew because Mahindra never told anyone. Mahindra imported these engines for defence supplies. I knew from a participant of the rally.
A little bit of help pushed Mahindras to victory.
BTW, railways refused to refund the fare.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 13th January 2010 at 10:53.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:02   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Somehow just saw this today.
There is something about these Mahindra's which they did not mention in their advert. I combine this with a story.
Two years after the rally, I was travelling by Gujrat Express to Ahmedabad. We should have reached around 7AM, at 8 AM we were at Sanjan. It had rained so heavily, everything was flooded and we only saw water and tracks. By 1PM we reached Baroda, train did not go further and was turned back. We were stranded, three of us got together, one kept our seats, one went to buy the return tickets and the third went to buy food and water. One of these guys was from Mahindra and we got talking about a lot of things including the Mahindra results at the Himalayan Rally. Here's what I told him, that the engines were from Mitsubishi. He admitted to this and wondered how I knew because Mahindra never told anyone. Mahindra imported these engines for defence supplies. I knew from a participant of the rally.
A little bit of help pushed Mahindras to victory.
BTW, railways refused to refund the fare.

Cheers harit
Harit,

Thanks for sharing this. But this wasn't this there in the press at that time. If I recall correctly one of the Jeeps - that was placed highest in that year - was driven by the good driver Farad Bathena. In the Car & Bike Mag of that period the results/review did mention the M&M and Mitsubishi Combine. Fard also talked ravingly about the Mitsubishi.

If you reacall Mitsubishi was really pushing its barnd in which ever way they could and in open format I think they had two Canter Trucks up an running as well.

One of the trucks driven by Nikhil Thaneja was so fast, again if I recall correctly, it became the first to complete every section ahead of all vehicles and was earning huge penalties for being ahead of the maen times give. This also got Nikhil some sort of penalty/ban for a year or so for dangerous driving.

Ram
Old 13th January 2010, 15:06   #161
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Elegant 1957

Hello All,

I have attached an advertisement for Fial 1100 Elegant, from PAL.

Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-fiat-mar-57.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 22:04   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have attached an advertisement for Fial 1100 Elegant, from PAL.
Wow, Ram - Wow !
millecento, select, and now elegant.. These ads are after my own heart.. Where do you dig them out from ?? I would LOVE to have hard copies of such ads for my collection .
Old 13th January 2010, 23:56   #163
BHPian

These ads also lay to rest doubts about whitewalls on Indian cars of the era. Thanks Ram.
Old 14th January 2010, 00:18   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
These ads also lay to rest doubts about whitewalls on Indian cars of the era. Thanks Ram.
Did you have a doubt? But what is not known to many is that at that time there were tubeless tyres too. Why they stopped I do not know, but when tubeless tyres were reintroduced in around 1996 not many had the infrastructure and knowledge to repair them. When Mercedes-Benz delivered their W124 models, our car came with tubeless German Continental tyres fitted with tubes!

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th January 2010 at 00:23.
Old 14th January 2010, 01:08   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Did you have a doubt?
Nope I didn't, but some others have had 'em.

Quote:
But what is not known to many is that at that time there were tubeless tyres too. Why they stopped I do not know, but when tubeless tyres were reintroduced in around 1996 not many had the infrastructure and knowledge to repair them.
You've answered it - because the repair infrastructure didn't exist earlier also. Which is no big deal, because all that is required is the needle and the rest of the repair kit. However, one big problem, back in the day and even today with our regular tyre puncture repair wallahs, is the absence of the tyre removal/fitting machine (from the rim). Our guys use a heavy hammer liberally in mating tyre to rim. While you don't need to remove the tubelss tyre from the rim while fixing a leak (whether in the tyre or the nozzle) but while fitting it for the first time they'd go to town with the hammer! This caused two problems - one it bent the rim and secondly it damaged the casing of the tyre, especially the side wall. With a bent rim, the tubeless tyres would not hold air for long, and with a damaged casing there would be tyre failure. So tube-type tyres got to rule our roads.

Plus there was also a perception about their unsuitability. Which was correct to some extent. Most, if not all, tubeless came from foreign production. The rubber compound was not great for our weather or road conditions. A few brands also relied heavily on a wire meshing (although polyester/glass fibre and other stuff for the carcass were also used by some) and all it took was an intrusion or a hard knock to expose it and soon it would all unravel and be torn to shreds. Not a happy situation with an expensive foreign brand, yet new, for most Indians who preferred to save for a rainy day, even in the wettest present conditions!!

I'm not sure if there was a radial vs cross-ply angle too in the tubeless variety, since radials were really not in favour on Indian cars before the late 80s.

OT, but remember the skepticism towards cold patches that came to substitute the heat curing method?

Quote:
When Mercedes-Benz delivered their W124 models, our car came with tubeless German Continental tyres fitted with tubes!
Anybody who used tubelss tyres back then (whether OE or personally fitted), mostly always carried an emergency tube in case a tubeless repair was not possible somewhere. One had to just sacrifice the nozzle and get the tube put on duty!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks