Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 21:35   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Thanks Karlos I will remind you.

John its a 1933 Chevrolet Eagle Phaeton. I don't know if you've heard of the TVS group, its the founder's car and I have the privilege of doing a no compromise nut bolt restoration of the same.
MDR 200 is indeed a well known car, regularly participating in local events. Looks in great shape, does she really require a nut and bolt resto? Do give us a pictorial as you go along.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:06   #77
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
MDR 200 is indeed a well known car, regularly participating in local events. Looks in great shape, does she really require a nut and bolt resto? Do give us a pictorial as you go along.
The effects of 76 years of usage tend to manifest in a zillion places in a car. Unless I address every nut and bolt the restoration will remain compromised.

BTW I've stripped the car down to the frame and I am glad to have done that as many small issues need correction as you build up from the frame. Rubber parts are as good as not being there, bushes wear out, so many tiny issues.

Besides when you have great staff and a fabulous workshop at your disposal the car really should get the best in renewal.
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

[quote=DKG;1241506]Thanks Karlos I will remind you.

John its a 1933 Chevrolet Eagle Phaeton. I don't know if you've heard of the TVS group, its the founder's car and I have the privilege of doing a no compromise nut bolt restoration of the same.

The car originally I am told was a light green dark green combo. If I can get a brochure then we can see what combo suits the car best.

DKG

The info you are looking for is available on the ACCA webiste. Try posting a question in the Chevy Forum and you will be amazed at the responce.

Meanwhile the car needs to lose the chrome on the wheels. Its detracting from the cars looks.

Is this car now with a new owner from Hydreabad now ???

Also check out this link below.

GENERAL MOTORS WORLDWIDE INFORMATION FILES INDEX

Check out the picture below of a green on green coupe. This is probably what the original colour scheme looked like. Also notice the rims ? They look much nicer painted
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-1933chevroleteagleandmercury1.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 2nd April 2009 at 10:07.
Old 2nd April 2009, 21:46   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Wasif. Yes the Chevy forum is amazing, intend using it extensively.

I agree the wheels need to lose the chrome. Considering I've set myself the goal of returning her to showroom spec such issues will get addressed.

This car originally apparently was in the double green shade. I'm trying to get a hold of the brochure so if there was a combo more suitable than this it can be considered.

Car's come to Hyd just for the restoration works, it still belongs to the TVS family

Last edited by DKG : 2nd April 2009 at 21:48.
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

I sold a authentic RR catalog sometime back on eBay for 150 bucks
Old 6th May 2009, 20:58   #81
Senior - BHPian

A GM ad from 1946

I wonder what they meant by "Its worth waiting" was there a waiting period for GM cars in 1946? if so how long? Also no indication of address just a PO box
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-gmad1946.gif  

Old 7th May 2009, 02:26   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I wonder what they meant by "Its worth waiting" was there a waiting period for GM cars in 1946? if so how long? Also no indication of address just a PO box
When I was trying to find a sales brochure to determine the standard colors offered for my 1962 Fiat I was told by a few people that as there was a two to three year waiting period, except for doctors etc, they didn't produce any detailed brochures. I guess the same might have been true in 1946.

Anyone else would like to comment, as to my knowledge no one has the list of standard colors, colour chips or paint code references for early 60's Fiats.
Old 7th May 2009, 04:55   #83
BHPian

I have a fabulous mint 1916 "Automobile accessories, tires and supplies" Catalogue with 148 pages of parts and the latest "must have" accessories which, if it would be interest, I could scan and post some of the more interesting pages.

Again being a non Indian Catalogue will it be relegated to the International section?

I also have mint copies of other Automotive brochures that could be scanned and posted.
1. 1915 - "The Car of the Canadian Family" - Hupmobile - 20 pages. Sales copy and drawings of cars and people.
2. 1916 - "City Life and Liberty" - McLaughlin Carriage Co. Oshawa, Ontario Canada - 18 pages. Sales copy, drawing of people and cars and detailed drawing of their 7 models offered from $1085 to $2,150.
3. 1915 - "Ford The Universal Car" -30 pages. Sales copy, detailed drawing of their 4 models offered from $540 to $1,150 with some great detail technical drawings. French.
4. 1920 - "Heralding to the World a New Velie Six" - fold out - Velie Motors Corp. Moine, Illinois U.S.A. - Sales copy and some nice drawings.

Would appreciate some feed back.
Old 7th May 2009, 09:42   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone know of "Keith Windsor" Australian Motor Manuals of the 50s?

My father had one of those (mentioned as "for all British cars upto 1954") lying in our old house. It covered all postwar British saloon cars (Austin, Morris, Hillman, Ford etc.) of the early 50s.
Plus it included some nice ads of period parts/accessories like horns, headlights etc.
My dad said that he was given the manual alongwith the '51 Ford Prefect that he had bought from his brother in the 70s. The car was sold on in 1980 (a year before I was born) but he thankfully retained the manual!
I'd found it somewhere in our house many years ago, while looking through some old stuff it was stashed away with.
And I'd always kept it carefully in my own almirah.

Unfortunately, when my parents had sold the house and were shifting from there 5 years ago, the manual got separated form it's hard-bound cover probably with the workers' rough handling, and it got lost! :(

I've since had only the cover, but could never find the manual no matter how much I searched.

But there are still some bundles of stuff that we haven't opened up again. It could (hopefully) be lying in those somewhere too, for all I know.

Last edited by Stanher : 7th May 2009 at 09:47.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:55   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Anyone else would like to comment, as to my knowledge no one has the list of standard colors, colour chips or paint code references for early 60's Fiats.
Dear John though i dont have a Fiat colour chart but i do have a chart from 1960 for ICI Duco automotive finish which I have posted on the MTP 8389 restoration link. I will post it here again for your benifit it has most colours offered by Fiat at that time including the elusive Peacock Blue which in hindsight is closer in the chart than any code you will find from Glasurit.
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2009, 01:28   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear John though i dont have a Fiat colour chart but i do have a chart from 1960 for ICI Duco automotive finish which I have posted on the MTP 8389 restoration link. I will post it here again for your benifit it has most colours offered by Fiat at that time including the elusive Peacock Blue which in hindsight is closer in the chart than any code you will find from Glasurit.
Thanks for the information.

Can you identify the colours used by Fiat?
I might suggest that a cut sheet be made of them and posted. and if so they be checked for accuracy and that colored photo copies could be printed up and made available to any members wanting to use the original colors. I am sure any costs would be gladly covered by members wanting to do it Right.

Another suggestion would be to collect interior fabric samples and make a similar cut sheet to be posted for reference. Attached are two photos of the interior of an early 60's Fiat here in Calcutta that I was told still retained the original interiors.

As I recall consideration was being given to document the production of Fiat in India which could include some of the original material specifications. A project well worth the effort as I consider the "lowly" Fiat one of the cornerstones of India's Automotive History.

I warms my heart to see how loved these cars are and the growing stature of the classic "Model T" of India.

Thanks again and I hope the the wheels will start rolling on putting our Fiats front and center.

John
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-statesman-08-152.jpg  

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-statesman-08-153.jpg  

Old 16th May 2009, 20:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

1910 Ford Brochure

Allow me to post one of the oldest brochures on this thread. Not the original though, a full colour reprint of a 1910s hand painted brochure.

Look into the events depicted, and one realizes that there are 2 lines of thought applied. On one hand, you see Ford vehicles being used for all purposes (Fire engine, army car, gentlemen's chariot etc).

On the other, there are broken down vehicles (horse drawn chariots, donkey carts, cars of other makes) splattered all over. There's a guy standing next to each of these, carrying a banner which says "Sell it and Buy a Ford".
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-dsc02626-edited.jpg  

Old 17th May 2009, 10:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Thanks for the information.

Can you identify the colours used by Fiat?
I might suggest that a cut sheet be made of them and posted. and if so they be checked for accuracy and that colored photo copies could be printed up and made available to any members wanting to use the original colors. I am sure any costs would be gladly covered by members wanting to do it Right.

Another suggestion would be to collect interior fabric samples and make a similar cut sheet to be posted for reference. Attached are two photos of the interior of an early 60's Fiat here in Calcutta that I was told still retained the original interiors.

As I recall consideration was being given to document the production of Fiat in India which could include some of the original material specifications. A project well worth the effort as I consider the "lowly" Fiat one of the cornerstones of India's Automotive History.

I warms my heart to see how loved these cars are and the growing stature of the classic "Model T" of India.

Thanks again and I hope the the wheels will start rolling on putting our Fiats front and center.

John
Hi John.

In the pictures of the Fiat the material on the bottom part of the dash and on the rear door pulls is original. The rest has definitely been changed at some point.

Also the underdash shelf didn't come on this early a car. I think it appeared on the Padmini onwards and same goes for the read door mounted ashtrays.

The rubber floor matting is the original item.

Last edited by wasif : 17th May 2009 at 10:10.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:47   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
In the pictures of the Fiat the material on the bottom part of the dash and on the rear door pulls is original. The rest has definitely been changed at some point.

Also the underdash shelf didn't come on this early a car. I think it appeared on the Padmini onwards and same goes for the read door mounted ashtrays.

The rubber floor matting is the original item.
Dear Wasif,

The pictures that John has posted definitely show original interiors, the seats just have white covers on them. The under dash shelf is also very much original, it appeared from 62 onwards in this form. That stlye of ash tray is also period correct, perhaps a apid option. All in all, a pretty neat car.
Old 17th May 2009, 14:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hi Karlos.

I stand corrected. I was talking about the ashtrays on the rear doors. Never seen these on such an old car. Same goes for the underdash shelf. I don't remember having this in any of our Fiats prior to the Padmini range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks