Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 10:47   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Has anyone noticed that most parsi owned ice factories are called Mazda?
Karl,

This definitely should not be a surprise

Ahura Mazda, is the primary deity of Zoroastrianism. Mazda is generally taken to be the proper name of the deity.

So In common with the practice of naming proprity business establishments etc after the owners favourite Gods, the Parsis must have used the "Mazda"

Now the Mazda as in Autos also partially derived from this.

Quote:
The company website states that name "stems from Ahura Mazda, the highest Zoroastrian God of reason who granted wisdom and united man, nature and the other gods." It also notes that the name sounds like that of the founder of the company, Mr Jujiro Matsuda.
Unquote

Hope this fullfills your learning quota for the day

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 16th February 2010, 13:00   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Karl,

This definitely should not be a surprise....

Now the Mazda as in Autos also partially derived from this.
Nope, not a surprise, just an observation. Me being Parsi myself, I am of course aware of the meaning of Mazda. Incidentally my Great grandfather had an electricals store in Lucknow called Mazda Electricals.

What came as a surprise to me was the auto manufacturer Mazda - I hadn't a clue that that was where they borrowed the name from, I assumed it to be a Japanese word/name.

Anyways, lets get back on track.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:30   #288
Senior - BHPian

Attached is an ad for Armstrong Siddley, model Typhoon. This apparently appeared in The Motor March 17 1948.
There was another car manufacturing co which named many models after "winds". Any idea which company this was?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-magazine-8-armst.jpg  

Old 20th February 2010, 17:32   #289
Senior - BHPian

@Harit - The mention of Armstrong Siddley brings in mind an interesting article about Mr Dick Willis, an artist and avid Armstrong Siddley collector. It came out in Classic & Sportscar Magazine, August 2009 issue. I'm reproducing the text here:

Peter Pearson, who runs the Armstrong Siddley Owners Club (ASOC) parts section, recently received a healthy boost to the club's stores. Pearson went to visit a Mr Dick Willis, an artist who lives in a 15th century manor house in the West Country, and wrote about the encounter in "The Sphinx", the ASOC magazine. "We were shown through a most impressive entrance into a grand room with a fire burning in a huge Jacobean fireplace" wrote Pearson. "Dick said that the house was quite cold in the winter, but that he had kept a good fire burning to take the chill off the red wine - a bottle of which was warming gently!"

It turned out that Willis had been an ASOC member for years, and had always run a Siddley himself. Each time a car wore out, he simply bought another one and put the old one to one side on his estate. Most of the five cars that the club unearthed were past economic saving. Some had been stripped of parts, while a barn had collapsed on another.

Willis has sent one of his Sapphire 346s to be professionally restored, and has donated the other cars to the ASOC to be used for spares. These have now been collected by the club and one blue Sapphire 346, chassis 25, owned by Willis for 35 years, could be the oldest survivor in the UK. Happily, that car was rescued complete, and it is now being offered for sale by the club.

Quite unbelievable, isn't it?

__________________________________________________ _____________

As for the marque that names its models after winds, Maserati comes to mind. The Ghibli, the Khamsin and the Karif were all named after winds.
Old 20th February 2010, 17:57   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
@Harit - The mention of Armstrong Siddley Quite .......................................unbelievabl e, isn't it?

__________________________________________________ _____________

As for the marque that names its models after winds, Maserati comes to mind. The Ghibli, the Khamsin and the Karif were all named after winds.
Did you know that in Mumbai, Hyland Motors on Hughes road were the agents? I have a copy of their advertisement. They were more known as the Fiat agents.
There are not many Armstrong Siddleys left, I have seen a Hurricane model go to the ground as the owner did not go back to the garage. Our Bulldogji has one, it was having gear problems, it has a pre-selector box. It seems to be working as I see him driving it once in a while on his way to "hospital".
There is another car with non original engine.
Pranlal has atleast one, so do GMR folks. The grandest was a 7 seater Limo which has probably gone to the dogs, very sad.

I did not think about Maserati, you are correct, but there is one more.

Cheers harit
Old 20th February 2010, 21:12   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There was another car manufacturing co which named many models after "winds". Any idea which company this was?

Cheers harit
Volkswagon I would think with its Sirocco etc
Old 20th February 2010, 22:38   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Volkswagon I would think with its Sirocco etc
That's right. None of the regulars on the Volkswagen thread came up with this!

Cheers harit
Old 20th February 2010, 22:44   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
T
EDIT - I see it says Product of Ford of Canada - no wonder we aren't used to seeing this.
These trucks used by the Indian Army,Navy and Air Force before the advent of the Shaktiman and the Nissans were also made by Ford of Canada and called the F15 Polsten:
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-ford-f15-polsten-army-truck.jpg
Willys jeeps, Dodge Power Wagon pick-ups and jeeps were part of the defence fleet then.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:45   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
T
EDIT - I see it says Product of Ford of Canada - no wonder we aren't used to seeing this.
These trucks used by the Indian Army,Navy and Air Force before the advent of the Shaktiman and the Nissans were also made by Ford of Canada and called the F15 AA trucks I believe:
Attachment 292045
picture from MILITARY INFORMATION HQ
Willys jeeps, Dodge Power Wagon pick-ups and jeeps were part of the defence fleet then.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th February 2010 at 22:48.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:05   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
These trucks used by the Indian Army,Navy and Air Force before the advent of the Shaktiman and the Nissans were also made by Ford of Canada and called the F15 Polsten:
Attachment 292045
Anjan,

Do any of these trucks did ever had twin steering (on both sides). I have seen one like that in Madras Institute of Technology Chennai.
Old 21st February 2010, 18:36   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Anjan,

Do any of these trucks did ever had twin steering (on both sides). I have seen one like that in Madras Institute of Technology Chennai.
Yes Manish some had to train jawans who were enrolled as drivers. The Fords especially.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:35   #297
Senior - BHPian

Rajdoot RD 350 Owners Hand Book

Helloa All

Though not yet a classic I am posting the scan of the HB of my RD 350 here (for me its a classic already).

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-rd-350-owners-hb1.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2010, 14:00   #298
Senior - BHPian

Another advert from The Motor. Note the stamp of AH Wheeler. They were the famous bookstands in our railway station.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-magazine-10.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 22nd February 2010 at 14:03.
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:43   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Another advert from The Motor. Note the stamp of AH Wheeler. They were the famous bookstands in our railway station.

Cheers harit
Nice one Harit.

Wheelers had the Railaway Book Stall faranchise on wetern and northern railways mostly. In south it was a company called Higginbothams mostly.

As per info on the page its from June 1947. The very last period of the "angrezon ka zamana" !

If you have full mag, it would be interesting to see how the copy of the "Full Report of Swiss Grand Prix" read against the copy of F1 races in todays publications.

Ram
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:05   #300
Senior - BHPian

Consul & Zephyr

Following up Harit's with another Ford one

This advert is from Aug 1952 (UK).

Both of these models were pretty common in India till 1960s. Zephyr was rarer of the two while Consuls were pretty common as taxis in some of the towns in Tamil Nadu

Interesting is the copy where special incentive is being offered for those wanting to export it out of UK.

Compare the scenario now!

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread-ford-cons-zeph-aug-53.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 23rd February 2010 at 10:09.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks