Old 22nd December 2007, 17:18   #16
BHPian

Here's another beetle.clicked this in an auto show at Trivandrum

Old 22nd December 2007, 17:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Jeri, take me to the ford please

Btw few days back i saw a nicely maintained red Hillman SuperMinx near the Police Headquarters being driven by a ver old gentleman. The car looked nice but it didn't have the hubcaps.
Quote:
Yes it's a KLQ!! Would you share some details about the car?
It is a Hillman Minx, not a Super Minx but I do remember it having Super written on it. It looked like this

This car was owned by a Doctor in th UK who was a friend of my dad (mallu to mallu etc.). Around 1967, he moved back to India and settled in Quilon. Car was originally light blue. This doc had a bad heart condition and sold the car onto my uncles brother who was a priest but had a lot of family money near Kozhencheri. On our trips abroad, we used to bring parts for him and the doctor when he owned it. I remember us bringing shocks, indicator switches etc in our luggage. My uncle, who lives in the UK, used to supply parts and also keep cursing him since sourcing parts of a now rare car aggravating but big brother being big brother, he obliged.

Only source was a garage called HJ Grimes in Surrey. In the mid 80's, with the advent of Maruti, my uncle persuaded him to get rid of it, which he did. It is highly likely that the car is in TVM since his children live there.
Old 22nd December 2007, 17:25   #18
BHPian

here are some more classics....Don't know most of names.wish to know them also.....

Old 22nd December 2007, 17:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is a Hillman Minx, not a Super Minx but I do remember it having Super written on it. It looked like this

This car was owned by a Doctor in th UK who was a friend of my dad (mallu to mallu etc.). Around 1967, he moved back to India and settled in Quilon. Car was originally light blue. This doc had a bad heart condition and sold the car onto my uncles brother who was a priest but had a lot of family money near Kozhencheri. On our trips abroad, we used to bring parts for him and the doctor when he owned it. I remember us bringing shocks, indicator switches etc in our luggage. My uncle, who lives in the UK, used to supply parts and also keep cursing him since sourcing parts of a now rare car aggravating but big brother being big brother, he obliged.

Only source was a garage called HJ Grimes in Surrey. In the mid 80's, with the advent of Maruti, my uncle persuaded him to get rid of it, which he did. It is highly likely that the car is in TVM since his children live there.
Wow!!

At present the car looks pretty good considering the age and i don't think it has ever undergone any sort of restoration. I had a glance at the interiors (i was riding the bike) and the dash and all looks okay. Even the meters are the old units.

The car badly needs a set of hubcaps to look pretty. The lack of those are disturbing the looks of the car.
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:22   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow!!

At present the car looks pretty good considering the age and i don't think it has ever undergone any sort of restoration. I had a glance at the interiors (i was riding the bike) and the dash and all looks okay. Even the meters are the old units.

The car badly needs a set of hubcaps to look pretty. The lack of those are disturbing the looks of the car.
Forgot to mention, car was later resprayed to a light metallic blue which never suited the car IMHO. The pic is from Wiki. Does the car you see look like this?
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

I'm confused. The rear looked very much like the Super Minx. The car was pretty tall. The Minx rear looks lower in the picture. And also the fins were like the Super Minx.

Now the KLQ is painted a shade of Maroon.

Super Minx booty.

This is the Minx booty.

I couldn't take a proper look at the front as i was riding the bike and there was some traffic ahead of me.

Last edited by Sankar : 22nd December 2007 at 18:56.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:33   #22
Team-BHP Support

Amazing, how they carried the same tail lights over
Old 22nd December 2007, 20:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

While on the subject of maroon KL regd Hillman Minxs, my two bits.

Old 23rd December 2007, 09:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
He imported even the glass beeding from UK.Everything original.
As is typically the case with most Beetles, the parts may be genuine VW Beetle, but they seem to be an amalgum of models involved.

The headlights/front fenders are pre-67 units, while these bumpers were only introduced in 68. Also interesting to note is the presence of the fuel filler flap on the right hand side panel. This too is a later model change, the earlier cars had to be gassed up straight into the tank under the front hood.

Do keep us posted on the restoration, it can be very usefull for others in the same spot.
Old 23rd December 2007, 09:29   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
here are some more classics....Don't know most of names.wish to know them also.....
The first is a 39 Chevrolet Master, second is a 55/6 Fiat 1100, third is a Flying Standard convertible (will identify the exact model with some help), and last is the omnipresent Morris Minor.

Great pics, do put up some more of the remaining cars at the show.
Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

The KLC-5922 is in PUNE with Zaheer Vakil.
The Green Beetle KLV-9797 is a late 60's one belonging to the TRAVANCORE ROYAL family.
all BHPians please note that none of these classics are for sale as their owners consider it to be prized possessions!!
Old 23rd December 2007, 13:16   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The KLC-5922 is in PUNE with Zaheer Vakil.
Really? What a coincidence, I havent seen it. The picture was clicked by a friend of mine years ago down south.
Old 24th December 2007, 07:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Great pics, do put up some more of the remaining cars at the show.
Cheers.
heyy thanks for those names.here are some more

a chevrolet belair

A merc

don't know this one's name

Another one spotted at a house,rusting to pieces..... pic is not clear

Old 25th December 2007, 14:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

hey!! Nice pix crazybiker. Which show are they from?? The golden car is a 1970 chrysler, if im not mistaken.
Old 25th December 2007, 17:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post

don't know this one's name

It's a Chrysler Valiant

Gurus, Was it also known as Dodge Dart?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks