Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2009, 17:25   #16
BHPian

Coker Tire - Coker Tire
Old 19th September 2009, 17:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Tyre-some

Query to all restoration experts. A certain classic car comes with 5.90 X 13 tyres as standard. I made a little search on Coker Tyres. They have a BF Goodrich whitewall in this size, but 5 tyres (plus tubes) of that make would cost me about INR 60,000! Plus shipping et all. Totally out of budget!

So now:

1. Is there an Indian company which makes tyres in this size?

2. My own knowledge of tyre dimensions tells me that the size is pretty close to 165/80 R13. This is a popular size made by all modern tyre manufacturers like Bridgestone, Goodyear etc. But would fitting a modern car radial prove derogatory for the classic (or the tyre itself) in any way?

Eager to hear everyone's comments.
Old 19th September 2009, 17:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dominator has posted an email id on this thread.Contact that person.
Old 19th September 2009, 17:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthmehd View Post
Hi Harit !! Thanks a lot for your advice. Well, I was inclined towards not running the old tyres, even as interim, and you have (rightly) convinced me to finally take that decision. So its either bike tyres as interim or just one big leap towards imports. The last thing I want on her is a tyre exploding and me loosing control. Well, the car was in dry storage for 7 years and I am still overhauling the engine. Tyres are the last thing on the restoration list. So you need not worry, she is not running on the old tyres (not running at all, as a matter of fact !!). And hey, the Minor I have never came with whitewalls, so I have no intention of putting them on, but thanks for that tip too !!

But can you tell me how much shipping and duty for the tyres will cost ?

Well thats a better idea to import new ones than asking a dealer to import it for you because it will work out to be much more expensive.My Mercedes benz was in storage for over 10 years beacuse we didn't have the tires for the car.This year in june finally we ordered them from coker tires USA and it arrieved within a week.You need to have a credit card for that.We paid 30% of the value of the tires and air frieghting was much cheaper than to have them come by ship.You write to the contact us link on the web site.That is how i placed my order and i would suggest you requestthem to send it by fedex it is fast the shipping is reasonable and no hassels of customs they do the need full and bill you for it.
Old 20th September 2009, 07:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Dominator has posted an email id on this thread.Contact that person.
Sorry for the naivety, but how exactly can dominator help me? I've read up posts in this thread, as well as the other Bangalore thread. Nowhere is it mentioned what Dominator does, or how he's related to classic tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well thats a better idea to import new ones than asking a dealer to import it for you because it will work out to be much more expensive.
Thanks Indrojit. But any kind of tyre import, direct or indirect, is out of my budget at the moment. Thats why I placed the original query.
Old 20th September 2009, 13:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

I was told that Dr Ravi Prakash in Banglore is an agent for Coker tyres and could import your requirments if the price can be met.

BTW what car ae we talking about here

Last edited by wasif : 20th September 2009 at 13:48.
Old 20th September 2009, 14:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Sorry for the naivety, but how exactly can dominator help me? I've read up posts in this thread, as well as the other Bangalore thread. Nowhere is it mentioned what Dominator does, or how he's related to classic tyres.

Thanks Indrojit. But any kind of tyre import, direct or indirect, is out of my budget at the moment. Thats why I placed the original query.
Dear Predator,

This note is actually applicable for many, when you see pictures of their cars and then the tyres. Some visitors have even commented only on the tyres of cars pictured. Sometimes it makes me wonder if they not only polish their cars, but also the THREADS of their tyres

OK, there are basically two reasons to put tyres on a car. The most obvious is to drive the car around, in that case there is no compromise, one must use proprt tyres, not very old stock and no cracked tyres.
The other is just to have the car to be able to be rolled, when you do a restoration you often have to move the car. In that case you can use old tyres as speeds are not much. Even if towed, then tow slowly.

How to buy tyres? Well simplest is to import or buy from an importer, but that can be costly. Alternatively, ask your tyrewalla, he will have contacts and source from all over India. If he cannot find, then import and buy one project less. Sorry, that is the reality, you cannot compromise safety of yourself and the car.

So please make a sensible choice and decision.
Once you have purchased expensive tyres, you will look after them better. I have seen pictures of a collection where the cars are basically not in use. They have not only kept the cars on stands, but also put covers on the tyres to avoid ultraviolet light falling on them.

Cheers harit
Old 20th September 2009, 23:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Too much ado about nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dear Predator,

OK, there are basically two reasons to put tyres on a car. The most obvious is to drive the car around, in that case there is no compromise, one must use proprt tyres, not very old stock and no cracked tyres.
The other is just to have the car to be able to be rolled, when you do a restoration you often have to move the car. In that case you can use old tyres as speeds are not much. Even if towed, then tow slowly.

How to buy tyres? Well simplest is to import or buy from an importer, but that can be costly. Alternatively, ask your tyrewalla, he will have contacts and source from all over India. If he cannot find, then import and buy one project less. Sorry, that is the reality, you cannot compromise safety of yourself and the car.
Harit, thank you for "Use of Tyres for Dummies"

Jokes apart, lets not make this query unnecessarily complicated. We are not discussing sourcing tyres as a means of towing or rolling. Neither am I planning to take shortcuts, or compromise on query, else I wouldn't have been making this query.

Ok, lets start afresh. I am standing at the doorstep of sourcing my first classic for restoration. The car comes with 5.90X13 tyres. This size is not available in India, and sourcing from abroad (directly or through agent) is not in my budget right now.

My knowledge of tyre dimensions tells me that 5.90X13 is approx equivalent to a modern 165/80 R13 size. This size is freely available in commercial radials, and sourcing 5 such tyres will work out far cheaper. So 2 queries:

Is it ok to fit 165/80 R13, or would fitting a modern car radial prove derogatory for the classic (or the tyre itself) in any way?

2. If yes, then is there an Indian company which makes tyres in 5.90X13 size?

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 20th September 2009 at 23:06.
Old 21st September 2009, 00:32   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Size 5.60-13 is availbel from most major manufacturers (CEAT, MRF) as it is the 118 NE size. I am using them on my Standard, which should ideally be 5.20 13, but the higher profile works just fine. Don't know if a lower profile will work the same in your case.
Old 21st September 2009, 01:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit, thank you for "Use of Tyres for Dummies"

Jokes apart, lets not make this query unnecessarily complicated. We are not discussing sourcing tyres as a means of towing or rolling. Neither am I planning to take shortcuts, or compromise on query, else I wouldn't have been making this query.

Ok, lets start afresh. I am standing at the doorstep of sourcing my first classic for restoration. The car comes with 5.90X13 tyres. This size is not available in India, and sourcing from abroad (directly or through agent) is not in my budget right now.

My knowledge of tyre dimensions tells me that 5.90X13 is approx equivalent to a modern 165/80 R13 size. This size is freely available in commercial radials, and sourcing 5 such tyres will work out far cheaper. So 2 queries:

Is it ok to fit 165/80 R13, or would fitting a modern car radial prove derogatory for the classic (or the tyre itself) in any way?

Aniket it all depends on what car it is. Do let us know the make and then we cna take it from there.
Old 7th October 2009, 23:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The fiat palio has this size.
Old 10th October 2009, 15:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Aniket this size is available for mitsubishi lancer and Fiat palio.You would get them in BridgeStone for close to Rs.3000 each.So you save on shipping and on import duty etc .If need any help locateing a dealer in calcutta you can PM me.
Old 10th October 2009, 16:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Aniket this size is available for mitsubishi lancer and Fiat palio.You would get them in BridgeStone for close to Rs.3000 each.So you save on shipping and on import duty etc .If need any help locateing a dealer in calcutta you can PM me.
The lancer had 175/80/R13 tyres, this was for the palio and maruti baleno. You can get it in b'stone and goodyear.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:55   #29
BHPian

Hii!!
Bridge stone has a good tyre in potenza G3. A good updgrade from the 175/80/R13 could be the 175/70 R14 or 185/65 R14. Also, there is an excel chart some where in one of the threads for the recommended tyre upsizing for various cars. C if u can get hold of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
The lancer had 175/80/R13 tyres, this was for the palio and maruti baleno. You can get it in b'stone and goodyear.
Old 10th October 2009, 18:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post

I actually saw that size on a stock 2003 lancer so i thought it would be common but bridge stone does keep that size i'm sure because the palio has it.

Most Viewed