Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 15:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Aniket it all depends on what car it is. Do let us know the make and then we cna take it from there.
Wasif, the car was a Mk1 Consul (one lying in a different city). Had thought of keeping it under wraps till I sourced the car. Now I seem to have lost it, so no more secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Aniket this size is available for mitsubishi lancer and Fiat palio.You would get them in BridgeStone for close to Rs.3000 each.So you save on shipping and on import duty etc .If need any help locateing a dealer in calcutta you can PM me.
Indrojit & WasavaTyres, thanks for your help. I'm aware of the cars the tyre was available for. However, if you read my query carefully, you'll see I wasn't concerned about the availability. This is after all a freely available size, and all major manufacturers make it. My point was whether it is correct to fit this size on to the classic, and whether it will cause damage to the tyre or the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
Hii!!
Bridge stone has a good tyre in potenza G3. A good updgrade from the 175/80/R13 could be the 175/70 R14 or 185/65 R14. Also, there is an excel chart some where in one of the threads for the recommended tyre upsizing for various cars. C if u can get hold of it.
Thank you, but slightly misdirected information again.
Old 11th October 2009, 19:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

OOPs Aniket another one got away.

Need to be more persistant on the aquisition front i guess
Old 11th October 2009, 19:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Indrojit & WasavaTyres, thanks for your help. I'm aware of the cars the tyre was available for. However, if you read my query carefully, you'll see I wasn't concerned about the availability. This is after all a freely available size, and all major manufacturers make it. My point was whether it is correct to fit this size on to the classic, and whether it will cause damage to the tyre or the car.

Well you can surely use the, on a classic no hard and fast rule that you can't.Well if the caster and camber adjustments and the wheel alignments are all ok i don't think there should be any problem.Are you going to be putting tubeless or tube tyres?
Old 12th October 2009, 22:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I was able to get four brand MRF Legend, new, narrow white side wall tyres, for my 1955 Landmaster on a made to order basis during March 2008. These look original and also like long lost and now found body parts of the great old car of mine. I got them fitted at the MRF company showroom .
Right from the beginning I got a very warm response from the GM (Marketing) MRF, Chennai and the local MRF office here. Each tyre cost me about Rs 2000/- (incl tube).
Rubber trouble - Help Needed with Nylon Tyres for Classic/Vintage cars-landmaster.jpg
Old 13th October 2009, 10:24   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I just imported 6 tyres for a 33 Chevy directly from Coker and it was delivered to my door through FedEx. They cost under 75k.

This really is the most hassle free way to do it.
Old 13th October 2009, 10:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I just imported 6 tyres for a 33 Chevy directly from Coker and it was delivered to my door through FedEx. They cost under 75k.

This really is the most hassle free way to do it.
Hi DKG

what is the progress on the restoration of that Chevy Tourer. Do share some details and pictures please.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:13   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
what is the progress on the restoration of that Chevy Tourer
Given the mandate set by the owner to return it to showroom condition with absolutely no compromise its taken me a lot of time, energy and patience to meticulously address all the wear and overhaul each item before preparing it cosmetically for refixing.

We are now well underway in reassembling the car back. Just getting the original paint shades right was a nightmare for me as neither Dupont or ICI were able to help, including the US offices. Finally I managed to get the right samples from a paint company and what a delight to see the right shades - well worth the headache I went through.

Its been a big challenge to source all the required spares too but I am glad I was able to find all that I needed from the US. Bombay seems to have dried up on Chevy parts too !

With great difficulty I have managed to find someone to mould the original running board mats and they are coming in from Canada !

I managed to get the original blackwall finish 18 inch tyres for the car and they look gorgeous.

So its like a huge puzzle being slowly put back together. When apart you simply address the wear on each piece and not worry about the final result. Now as the pieces start coming together the bigger picture is slowly emerging and let me just say I am happy with what I see !

Once the car is done I will request the owner for permission to share all the restoration process pictures and host them for all your viewing pleasure.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2009, 12:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given the mandate set by the owner to return it to showroom condition with absolutely no compromise its taken me a lot of time, energy and patience to meticulously address all the wear and overhaul each item before preparing it cosmetically for refixing.

We are now well underway in reassembling the car back. Just getting the original paint shades right was a nightmare for me as neither Dupont or ICI were able to help, including the US offices. Finally I managed to get the right samples from a paint company and what a delight to see the right shades - well worth the headache I went through.

Its been a big challenge to source all the required spares too but I am glad I was able to find all that I needed from the US. Bombay seems to have dried up on Chevy parts too !

With great difficulty I have managed to find someone to mould the original running board mats and they are coming in from Canada !

I managed to get the original blackwall finish 18 inch tyres for the car and they look gorgeous.

So its like a huge puzzle being slowly put back together. When apart you simply address the wear on each piece and not worry about the final result. Now as the pieces start coming together the bigger picture is slowly emerging and let me just say I am happy with what I see !

Once the car is done I will request the owner for permission to share all the restoration process pictures and host them for all your viewing pleasure.

DKG sorry to go offtopic but i would like to ask you which model is it ?Is it something simier to the one we had standing at our place?

Thankx

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 13th October 2009 at 12:49.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:47   #39
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
which model is it ?
Its a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton, one of only 600 odd built. These are rare Chevys, as confirmed by the Vintage Chev forum. There's a good chance India still has a couple left.

The decision to do a no compromise restoration, however, is not on account of its rarity but the sentimental value it holds for the family that retains it since new.

Last edited by DKG : 13th October 2009 at 12:54.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton, one of only 600 odd built. These are rare Chevys, as confirmed by the Vintage Chev forum. There's a good chance India still has a couple left.
Thank You for this info.hope to see some pictures of the car soon.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:08   #41
BHPian

Tyres

I am looking out for 4 good used or new Tyres size 600 by 16.
The Tyres should be with car buttons, white wall tyres preferred.
Thanks for looking
Ramanna

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th April 2010 at 18:36. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:17   #42
Kingsway

1954 Dodge Kingsway Tires.

Could you please let me know the correct tire size used on a 1954 Dodge Kingsway and where I could purchase these tires in India. I live in Sri Lanka and cannot locate any dealer over here selling these tires. It would be also appreciated if you could give me a few contact no's of any dealers over there too.

Thank you,

Rohan DE SILVA.

Old 23rd July 2011, 16:55   #43
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1954 Dodge Kingsway Tires.

Hi Kingsway,

As per the per the Manual the tire size is 6.70 x 15. Tire pressure is 24 lbs (cold).

In Bangalore we have a Coker Distributor in Rushe Tyre Pvt. Ltd: Subramanyapura P.O.. Bangalore – 560061. INDIA Phone: 91 80 2860 5909 / 2860 5990. Fax: 91 80 2860 1900 Email: info@rushesafetek.com

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=...2eiJsn9pO8eseA

This might be expensive as Customs Duty would have been paid whilst importing to India. Would you have to pay customs duty in Sri Lanka too?

By the way do you own a sedan or convertible?

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:33   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rubber trouble - Help Needed with Nylon Tyres for Classic/Vintage cars

Has anyone had experience with Speedway tyres made in Ludhinana?

http://www.speedwaystyres.com/

They seem to be catering to many industrial/agricultural applications though there are some odd sizes too for vintage cars

http://www.speedwaystyres.com/pdf/Sp...ar%20Tyres.pdf
Old 5th March 2016, 09:22   #45

Re: Rubber trouble - Help Needed with Nylon Tyres for Classic/Vintage cars

Hi,
Need some urgent info!
MRF used to export vintage tyres to the west till about 10 years back. Now they are looking to create a classic poster and revive the glorious past - to be displayed in their corporate office.
They need help with identifying which exact make/model of cars this tyres were used for: "Lester 36x4.5"
Mods: Please change the thread if this isnt the appropriate one.
Many thanks!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks