Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:22   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Where is the Brough Superior & the CS1 Norton now ? Still in India ? Wow. never heard about it. I am sure you can throw more light on it.
As Julian earlier said, the Brough Superior went to Germany. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I'm afraid the Brough went to Germany in the early 90s in a tourist bus.
In 1991 I went to buy a Vincent Rapide B that was in Bareilly UP, it was very rusty, the very expensive cylinder heads looked like scrap, the dealer Karim wanted 1 Lakh then. It really looked in bad shape.
Old 3rd April 2008, 02:26   #32
BHPian

And unfortunately the CS1 Norton went abroad also.
I'm not guilty.
It is very unfortunate that those who really understand the interest value of these machines were never around to save so many of these bikes, and cars also. Damn market forces.
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:20   #33
Team-BHP Support

A Harley Davidson spotted at an Enfield dealership in Agra. Can someone identify the model and year. Notice the AA badge on the front wheel hub.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-dscn0713.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-dscn0714.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2008, 09:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
A Harley Davidson spotted at an Enfield dealership in Agra. Can someone identify the model and year. Notice the AA badge on the front wheel hub.
That's actually an AIA badge, the Automobile Association of India. The other more common WIAA/SIAA etc badges dont have the 'I' in the centre.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-badge.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2008, 10:06   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
A Harley Davidson spotted at an Enfield dealership in Agra. Can someone identify the model and year
A 1948 Harley Davidson Panhead? We should start documenting the Harleys in India too. Love the sound and the looks despite them being quite agricultural

Last edited by DKG : 3rd April 2008 at 10:08.
Old 4th April 2008, 08:52   #36
BHPian

Indians
Love this Thread!!! The first pictures is of a Army Officer in Punjab near Ludhiana on a Scout. The picture is from ~1990-1994. The second one is of my friend Surinder on a Chief in Pune. The bikes belonged to Huey a garage owner in Pune.
Classic Motorcycles in India-indianscout.jpg

Classic Motorcycles in India-surinderindian.jpg

Vincent in Delhi
This is a picture of a Vincent in Delhi, the person is "Sharma" from Sharma Motor Cycle Depot in Pahar Ganj, New Delhi. I am not sure of the year but it might be in the 80s. I scanned this photo at his garage. Once again this Vincent left India in those days.

Name:  vincent.jpg
Views: 15010
Size:  25.8 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th April 2008 at 05:31. Reason: Merged posts. Please avoid making multiple consecutive posts.
Old 5th April 2008, 08:37   #37
BHPian

BSA V Twin G14 1000cc

I want to share a picture of my 1936 BSA. If any one knows any history of this very bike please let me know. I bought it from Vinod Sharma in Pahar Ganj. The bike is very similar to the bike in previous page, except the front fender. Makes me think if it is the same one. Well Enjoy it, anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-vtwin.jpg  

Old 7th April 2008, 02:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopgill View Post
This is a picture of a Vincent in Delhi, the person is "Sharma" from Sharma Motor Cycle Depot in Pahar Ganj, New Delhi. I am not sure of the year but it might be in the 80s. I scanned this photo at his garage. Once again this Vincent left India in those days.
I think this is the same rusty Vincent I tried to buy in Bareilly from Karim the dealer, as I heard that the Sharmas had bought it as part of a group of bikes from him, it really was bad though rusty inside and out. Wasn't it a Rapide?

Last edited by Julian UK : 7th April 2008 at 02:23.
Old 7th April 2008, 03:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I think this is the same rusty Vincent I tried to buy in Bareilly from Karim the dealer, as I heard that the Sharmas had bought it as part of a group of bikes from him, it really was bad though rusty inside and out. Wasn't it a Rapide?
It is possible, All Sharma told me about the vincent was that this bike went to Holland. When I lived in Bombay 1997 there was a talk about a Vincent near "The Fountain" in town owned by a are gallery owner, never say the bike.

1947 Speed Twin bought in Pune.
This Delhi Registered bike was bought by me (in the picture) in 1996 in Pune. I owned the bike for few years the sold it in 2004 in Delhi. If you are in classic bike scene near Pune then you will recognize Ruben in the background. He has a Vellocette, BSA Gold Star, and few others. His brother has Sam's Garage in Punjabi Bagh, Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-speedtwinpune.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th April 2008 at 05:29. Reason: merged
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is possible, When I lived in Bombay 1997 there was a talk about a Vincent near "The Fountain" in town owned by a are gallery owner, never say the bike..

Navroop,

you once mentioned to me that you have seen couple of BMW R12s in India, long time ago,and that you will send me some pictures later.
Did you locate those photos?/

Nigel
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Julian it is a treat to see the bikes. i dont understand much about bikes but it is something about their shapes and designs especially the Indian Chief that gets me going.
i had almost purchased a Chief that had been dismantled and stored in Cartons by an Elderly Parsee Gentleman in pune. The bike got picked up by an Aquantince of mine in 2001. i have been looking out for one ever since, even a non starter would do as i am not allowed to ride. where do you suggest i start looking.
Old 2nd September 2008, 21:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1947 Speed Twin bought in Pune.
This Delhi Registered bike was bought by me (in the picture) in 1996 in Pune. I owned the bike for few years the sold it in 2004 in Delhi. If you are in classic bike scene near Pune then you will recognize Ruben in the background. He has a Vellocette, BSA Gold Star, and few others. His brother has Sam's Garage in Punjabi Bagh, Pune.
Notice the light blue and cream Triumph tank in the background? That bike eventually came to me. Just noticed it
Old 4th September 2008, 23:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Julian it is a treat to see the bikes. i dont understand much about bikes but it is something about their shapes and designs especially the Indian Chief that gets me going.
i had almost purchased a Chief that had been dismantled and stored in Cartons by an Elderly Parsee Gentleman in pune. The bike got picked up by an Aquantince of mine in 2001. i have been looking out for one ever since, even a non starter would do as i am not allowed to ride. where do you suggest i start looking.
Nowadays I have no idea, in the early 80s they were unwanted, plentyful and Rs1000 - Rs4000 and legally exportable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Notice the light blue and cream Triumph tank in the background? That bike eventually came to me. Just noticed it
Karl, photos please...
Old 5th September 2008, 02:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nowadays I have no idea, in the early 80s they were unwanted, plentyful and Rs1000 - Rs4000 and legally exportable.
i wish my father had some love for the bikes as well. my grand uncle also does not let me near his bikes, have asked him a million times. He says it is too dangerous. so i think a fresh search would be in store for me, when i do get down to collecting them. three of his bikes are on the thread the others i shall try and get pictures off.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...tml#post909613
Old 6th September 2008, 05:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i wish my father had some love for the bikes as well. my grand uncle also does not let me near his bikes, have asked him a million times. He says it is too dangerous. so i think a fresh search would be in store for me, when i do get down to collecting them. three of his bikes are on the thread the others i shall try and get pictures off.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...tml#post909613
Nice bikes in the link, a 1941 Indian Chief 74 cu.in, a 1920ish Norton sidevalve with sidecar and a 20s Model 18 Norton ohv with some bits missing
A motorcycle is only as dangerous as its rider, don't miss out, they are wonderful to ride.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks