Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 22:48   #91
BHPian

So, how did the Vanguard estate restoration go?
Did you finally source the required spares?
Old 13th April 2010, 18:15   #92
BHPian

Riley 1946

I recently completed the restoration of an 1946 Riley RMA 1.5.Photo attached[ATTACH]328554
Attached Thumbnails
photos of my cars-1-riley-restored-team-csa.jpg  

Old 13th April 2010, 20:41   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
I recently completed the restoration of an 1946 Riley RMA 1.5.Photo attached[ATTACH]328554
Wow thats a beautiful car, looks very regal in the colour.

How about some history and before and after pics, so that we understand the complexity of the restoration.
Old 13th April 2010, 20:46   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow thats a beautiful car, looks very regal in the colour.

How about some history and before and after pics, so that we understand the complexity of the restoration.

I quite agree with you. Loooks tooo regal.

That Burgandy shade is a killer,

Ananth Sir, can i have the paint shade please.
Old 14th April 2010, 07:45   #95
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The Riley was a Mysore car and was in fact that first car of Mr. Papanna (Ex-Renault, Sunbeam fame). This car was in very bad shape and the ground up restortation was done by Mr. Sripathy. This car was rescued from the Gujari and then sold to Mr. Papanna.

Mr. Sripathy did this restoration in a record time for the car to participate in the KVCCC rally. Mr. Papanna's son Murthy and Mr. Sripathy worked for 12-14 hours every day for little more than a month to get the car ready for the rally. In fact Mr. Papanna became a member of KVCCC after he bought this car and to participate in the rally!

This should be early 90's. The car won the price for the best restoration in the same rally as most of the senior members were fully aware of the condition of the car before the restoration started.

If I recollect this car was sold to the Amalgamation Group in Chennai. I guess the car must still be with them, Mr. Ananth can confirm

Attached is the picture previously posted by Dominator in the Bangalore Rally

photos of my cars-1-rile1.jpg
Old 14th April 2010, 09:38   #96
BHPian

Yes you are right the Riley was a Bangalore car.Now with the Chairman-Amalgamations. I am sorry to disagree. The car was far from original. Earlier restoration done was pathetic.Presumably, it had met with an accident As a result, diff housing was welded, chassis misaligned and many other damages etc. Consequently,bonnet ,side panels, footboard had nothing to do with original.The car had to be rebuilt completely. It was the toughest project I have undertaken.
The maroon is a blend. Dupont was used.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:22   #97
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you are right the Riley was a Bangalore car.Now with the Chairman-Amalgamations. I am sorry to disagree. The car was far from original. Earlier restoration done was pathetic.Presumably, it had met with an accident As a result, diff housing was welded, chassis misaligned and many other damages etc. Consequently,bonnet ,side panels, footboard had nothing to do with original.The car had to be rebuilt completely. It was the toughest project I have undertaken.
The current condition of the car is outstanding I must say and congrats to you. I am sure you would worked hard on the project to bring to this condition and originality.

The Bangalore restoration was done in 30 days and it was on a car which was rescued from the scrap yard and in terrible condition in 1992 if I am right. Obviously the restoration then cannot be compared to your restoration where time and access to parts to bring to originality.

I would say the Bangalore Job was to bring the car back on the road and your project has brought back its originality. Infact I was admiring the front grill you have finished. See the difference in the shape, fit and finish between the two photos and one can see the point that I am making.

Congrats Mr. Ananth once again. Job very well done.

Cheers

KPS
Old 14th April 2010, 16:10   #98
BHPian

Great job with all the cars Mr. Ananth. I just love all of them. My pick of the lot are the MGB and the Austin followed by the Riley. Great job. Would love to come see it next time I visit Chennai. How far would you be from the city centre? I think I should drive down one weekend just to see these beauties

BTW the wooden spoke wheeled Essex reminded me of the 1926 Chevy with wooden spoke wheels that we have at home in Assam. You will find it in a separate thread here or on my profile pic. Do have a look at it.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 14th April 2010 at 16:12.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:04   #99
BHPian

Thanks. I live in the suburbs, off ECR i.e the road to Pondy. From Gemini Flyover it is about 17kms. You are welcome. But please call a day before .
Old 15th April 2010, 19:39   #100
BHPian

If anyone is interested in pictures taking during restoration, please send me a message. I shall e mail a few
Old 15th April 2010, 19:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Sir, can you post some pics of your green Padmini
Old 15th April 2010, 20:25   #102
BHPian

Talking about Rileys, there were 3 Rileys in Thiruvananthapuram about a decade ago .iirc 2 of them were RM1500 and one was a sixtys model.
a guy who used to deal in imported cars whom I had met a few days ago says that one car is now in Fort cochin
Old 16th April 2010, 21:38   #103
BHPian

Hi Arun,
Will be travelling whole of next week. On my return,I shall send you photo of Fiat Rallye car
Old 10th May 2010, 19:37   #104
BHPian

I have advertised my Morris Minor in TeamBHP classifieds. Interested members can have a look
Old 10th May 2010, 19:45   #105
BANNED

Quote:
I have advertised my Morris Minor in TeamBHP classifieds. Interested members can have a look
Honorable Sir,

Please grant me permission to visit your place.

I am presently restoring a 1950 Bug Fiat, would love to see your car.

This will help me during restoration.. Also who owns that white Topolino in Chennai, that looks a million bucks to me.

Bangalore to Chennai is a drivable distance, would not mind driving down to see your cars and seek technical guidance.

Most Viewed