Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2009, 13:29   #46
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What home could be better than yours?
Arre bhai kitne gaadiya rakhoon !!

That said everytime Dad and I see the car we feel its such a handsome car and don't feel like selling it

Been with us for 22 years, chances are it may just remain because come to think of it finding such a complete original car is so rare these days.
Old 26th December 2009, 15:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

How about some fresh updates on your Ponton, are you overhauling the engine?
Old 26th December 2009, 15:52   #48
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
How about some fresh updates on your Ponton, are you overhauling the engine?
Yes sir. Now that my Jeep has received a new overhauled petrol unit I will start work on the Merc. Will need your help on leads for parts if I get stuck. I need to source the complete rear tail lamp assembly as the previous owner(s) had morphed some other lamp onto it.
Old 26th December 2009, 16:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Yes sir. Now that my Jeep has received a new overhauled petrol unit I will start work on the Merc. Will need your help on leads for parts if I get stuck. I need to source the complete rear tail lamp assembly as the previous owner(s) had morphed some other lamp onto it.

Do you want new or used ones?For the new ones you can try the ebay websites of Germany, U.K. and the U.S. or can get them from MB classic center.For used one i can help you through a source.
Quote:

Good memory. Yes I did advertise the car many years back. Still looking for a good home for it

Can we see some shots of her here?
Old 26th December 2009, 16:28   #50
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Do you want new or used ones?For the new ones you can try the ebay websites of Germany, U.K. and the U.S. or can get them from MB classic center.For used one i can help you through a source.
Could you please help me get a good used pair? Coz I need to redo its fixing point on the fender as per the original's shape. Eventually if needed I can always fix a new one.

Quote:
Can we see some shots of her here?
DKG's Collection-1954-hillman-minx-mark-vii.jpg
Old 26th December 2009, 16:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please help me get a good used pair? Coz I need to redo its fixing point on the fender as per the original's shape. Eventually if needed I can always fix a new one.

Attachment 251629
Ok i'll do that.Do want used lenses with it or do u want new lenses? The used assemblies you can re-chrome and with new lenses they will be like new.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 26th December 2009 at 16:35.
Old 27th December 2009, 11:52   #52
BHPian

DKG,

It is indeed a privilege for me to see such marques on these forums and to see the depth of detail and the commitment shown by enthusiasts such as you.
I am enamoured of both the Packards, especially APX 110.

I see that although the radiator grille designs of both show the same elements of elongated height and ornamentation, the arches on the top of the grille are toned down in the APX 110.

Were the arches a trademark element of all Packards? I would assume so since all marques had ( and still have) trademark features ( e.g., RR's Corinthian columns in the grille)

If so why are the arches toned down in the APX 110?

Packards remind me of an article I had read about the marque some twenty years ago in The Indian Auto Journal; the byline for Packard advertising was " A gentleman's car built by gentlemen". Or was it made by instead of built by?

Packards were heavily featured in James Hadley Chase novels as well.

Please let us have the full story on the APX 110.

Regards
Old 27th December 2009, 13:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

DKG sir wats the status on the nizams cars? Had seen a thread before where u were relocating them and intended on starting a museum with the same. Any updates?
Old 27th December 2009, 13:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anytime dude I thought I sent you email id of a dealer from Australia. But I think you may be able to find your tear drop shaped lights locally they are fairly common. I will ask around.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:18   #55
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The used assemblies you can re-chrome and with new lenses they will be like new.
Sounds like the right thing to do Indrojit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
I see that although the radiator grille designs of both show the same elements of elongated height and ornamentation, the arches on the top of the grille are toned down in the APX 110.

Were the arches a trademark element of all Packards?
If you visit the Packard Automobile Classics, Inc. - The Packard Club site there is a page that lists all the front end designs.

The grill underwent a significant change in 1932 becoming V shaped. Over the years Packard kept tweaking the grill design. As you rightly observe the arches at the top are the main element as it has continued throughout the marque's life. Even the Clippers of 50's had the distinct arches.

1939 (APX 110) was the last year when the classic Packard grill featured. In 1940 they split it into the main (now being much slimmer) and two smaller grills flanking the main.

The car lost that haughty grandeur which was classic Packard but the three split grills look very stylish and not so "in your face"

Quote:
the byline for Packard advertising was " A gentleman's car built by gentlemen".
your quote is correct. The other famous line is "Ask the Man who Owns One"

Quote:
Please let us have the full story on the APX 110.
I will do that someday soon. There are tons of pictures of the car over the years. I need to scan them from albums. Would love to share the full story. She is a car with a very interesting life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
whats the status on the nizams cars?
They are on display at the Chowmahalla Palace and open to public viewing. Have suggested that his Jeeps and the Bulldozer get shifted too. Hopefully atleast the Jeeps will get shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
you may be able to find your tear drop shaped lights locally they are fairly common. I will ask around.
Thank you very much.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi DKG

You mentioned there are Jeeps, plural, yet to be shifted from Chiraan.

Could you please tell more wit pictures of these Jeeps. How many are there and what models and conditions are they in ?
Old 30th December 2009, 11:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi DKG.

In the onset of this thread you had mentioned that you would be telling the full story on APX 110 with pictures. Its now long overdue.

Can you please post with regards to this. When was the car bought, from whom, what colour wait it originally.

I faintly remember there being some drama in this cars past involving the car being shot at or someting similar ?

Also what was the original regestration numbers on the La Salle and the Packard pre independance ?
Old 30th December 2009, 12:12   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi DKG

You mentioned there are Jeeps, plural, yet to be shifted from Chiraan.

Could you please tell more wit pictures of these Jeeps. How many are there and what models and conditions are they in ?
There's a Ford, a Willys and I forget what the third one is, maybe a Willys again or a Mahindra. I think two of them are in working order. They are all okay. Once things settle down a bit with the Telangana bandhs etc we'll shift the cars. Will definitely post pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi DKG.

In the onset of this thread you had mentioned that you would be telling the full story on APX 110 with pictures. Its now long overdue.

Can you please post with regards to this. When was the car bought, from whom, what colour wait it originally.

I faintly remember there being some drama in this cars past involving the car being shot at or someting similar ?

Also what was the original regestration numbers on the La Salle and the Packard pre independance ?
Actually all her pictures are in albums and my scanner is the one that works on an older windows laptop. Need to buy a Mac compatible scanner and scan all the pictures.

I wish I had one more day in the week for my leisure activities.

I will post the story with more pictures. The car most certainly has had a interesting life
Old 30th December 2009, 12:38   #59
BHPian

Hey DKG !!!

A very classy collection of classics you have got there. Thank you very much for the pics.

Also, last year on 3rd Feb 2008 i was in hyd to buy a tata sierra from this guy who advertised it in the local news paper.

I went to his place at banjara hills to finalize the deal (Some roshan appartment - not sure). I took a pic of the car parked outside his appartment (Pics attached) and spoke to him on the phone as he was not available and had gone out for some vintage rally at secundrabad club. He invited me there by i couldn`t make it. He asked me to be back in the evening. When i went back in the evening he showed me his collection of 18 classic restored superbly. I was amazed at that sight, i could have asked him to take me for a spin but his body lang seems that he was very tierd and hence i didn`t ask. But he did allow me to step in some cars and get the feel. Anyway i paid the price for the sierra and left the place. I never met him after that nor i have any contact info of that guy.

His name was Munawwar Khan and stayed at banjara hills (guys if anyone can identify the street from the attached pics, that would be of great help).

My objective to write this is that if anyone knows this guy then probably we may have his collection here on TeamBHP as well. Does anyone from hyd know this guy??
Attached Thumbnails
DKG's Collection-sierra-1.jpg  

DKG's Collection-sierra-2.jpg  

Last edited by Abbas : 30th December 2009 at 12:42.
Old 30th December 2009, 13:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

18 cars parked in an Apartment Building Garage ?

what cars were there and did you take any pictures of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks