Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2008, 14:54   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

DKG's Collection

The 1929 LaSalle 5 passenger phaeton bought by my great grandfather and in the family since new, presently owned by an uncle.

DKG's Collection-img_0085.jpg

DKG's Collection-img_0086.jpg

DKG's Collection-img_0087.jpg

DKG's Collection-img_0088.jpg

DKG's Collection-img_0089.jpg

The 1937 Packard Touring Limousine 138CD, an 18 foot seven seater with glass division. This car started its life possibly either with the Holkars or the Jaipur royal family (yet to confirm). Subsequently it was purchased by the Nagarseth of Jhalrapatan and remained in his family for many years. It later went into the Sanghi collection from where I bought the car in 2001.

DKG's Collection-img_0090.jpg

DKG's Collection-img_0091.jpg

DKG's Collection-img_0092.jpg

Note from the Support Staff: Posts moved to create a new thread from Introduce Yourself ( (Wonderful forum!!!)Wonderful forum!!!) to Vintage & Classic Cars in India.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2008 at 23:18. Reason: See note
DKG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2008, 21:12   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

APX 110: A Packard that became family!!

Our beloved APX 110, a 1939 Packard 120 Touring Sedan. I'll tell the full story of APX 110 with many more pictures later. For now enjoy the pictures

DKG's Collection-1.jpg

DKG's Collection-2.jpeg

DKG's Collection-3.jpg
DKG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2008, 21:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,its gotta be something out of the world to have a car collection such as this,within the family.
Not only does it take an interest to maintain such cars,you need a whole lot of time & put in so much effort (not forgetting the monetary role involved).

Excellent garage!
Old 11th March 2008, 22:05   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Dad's first Packard was this 1939 110 six cylinder touring sedan. Having purchased the car he had it restored completely from scratch and had it painted a rich maroon. He tells me on his umpteen trips to Bombay invariably when he'd park the car somewhere and come out later he'd find visiting cards on the windshield with offers to buy the car.Here he is seen with his siblings on the Hyderabad - Bombay highway

DKG's Collection-4.jpg

The next Packard Dad bought was a magnificent 1934 Packard Eight 7 seater tourer. This was originally Raja Pratapgirji's car. When my parents' very dear friend Gus Savalas (Telly 'Kojak' Savalas's elder brother) saw the car he prevailed on Dad wanting the car as a token of their friendship, something to remember Dad with, promising never to sell it. Sadly (for me) Dad gave in and agreed to restore the car and sell it to uncle Gus.

Here you see Gus Savalas at the wheel of the fabulous Packard. The old USIS building at Maozamjahi Road Hyderabad is in the backdrop. This car was featured eventually in Bob Turnquists book on Packards. The car was driven by Dad to Bombay from where it was shipped to England and eventually to the US. Uncle Gus sold the car!!!

DKG's Collection-5.jpg

The Packard, Gus Savalas and Sudhakar uncle whose garage Dad had used to have the car restored

DKG's Collection-6.jpg

Gus Savalas posing with the Packard as it was stripped for restoration. She was originally in a dark green colour

DKG's Collection-7.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 11th March 2008 at 22:07.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2008, 22:30   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Deepak,its gotta be something out of the world to have a car collection such as this,within the family.
Not only does it take an interest to maintain such cars,you need a whole lot of time & put in so much effort (not forgetting the monetary role involved).

Excellent garage!
I guess its relevant to add that we have managed to maintain these cars despite not having unlimited resources to restore them to a concours condition. Both the Packards and the LaSalle remain on their original six volt system and have no alterations whatsoever. The LaSalle still runs off the vaccum operated fuel supply and has no electric pumps.My uncle even at 75 has lovingly looked after the LaSalle.

At home Dad has passed the baton to me to look after APX 110 and the other cars. These cars have never been jacked up while with us. They remain with their batteries connected, driven often to a club for a Sunday lunch or sometimes to an evening's coffee. We have never made a fuss about allowing anyone wanting to visit our home to see them. After all they remain society's heritage and we are but mere custodians of these most beautiful forms of art
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2008, 01:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Call it 'Neighbors envy,owner's pride'..
One thing for sure,Deepak. The next time I visit India,a trip to Hyderabad is definitely on the cards.
Nothing makes me happier to know that these timeless beauties are in the right hands!
Kudos to you!
Old 12th March 2008, 04:26   #7
BHPian

Lovely cars Deepak, wonderful family history, not all owners are hands on, those that have skills deserve real respect from the car fraternity.
I understand and appreciate your efforts in restoring and maintaining them, I'd love to see them sometime.
Regards
Julian
Old 12th March 2008, 09:32   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I'd love to see them sometime
It would indeed be a delight and an honour to meet you someday. Thanks for your most kind words, coming from someone like you that means a lot to me.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:16   #9

WOW.DKG your cars are beautiful. Especially the Packard.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:23   #10
BHPian

lovely cars, i particularly like the La salle, but then, I'm partial to that era of American cars, i prefer the styling of European cars towards the late thirties. very few American cars of the late thirties appeal to me aesthetically, Packard auburn/cord/duesenberg and pierce arrow being some that do i missed out on a similar 34 Packard a few years ago, but its with a friend so ill get a ride when its finished.
interesting mascot on the La salle, can we get a close up of that?
Old 12th March 2008, 11:27   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
LaSalles came with not very distinct mascots and my grandfather used the "Devil" from a Leon Bollee for the car. No one in the family now remembers if such a car was once owned by the family or the mascot was acquired from the market. Most likely the latter is true. Either way what's interesting is that Hyderabad once had a Leon Bollee!!

Will post a close up of the mascot

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2008 at 11:31.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:56   #12
BHPian

Dear Deepak,

Great collection, specially white Packard first time seen, beautifully restored and very interesting history of family association with Packards & La Salle. I think you have one more Packard under restoration, write about it also.

Appreciate your efforts in maintaining such timeless beauties in original
condition and hope to hear more interesting stories.

Regards,
Old 12th March 2008, 14:13   #13
BHPian

DKG, can you enlighten us more about wonderful cars, how your family
get La Salle any dealers from Bombay, name or through somebody in Hyd.

My grandfather bought chevrolet from Bombay showroom in 30's for Rs.2000/= new car and brought to Hyd.

I heard from my father, Shorabji Brothers at Troop bazar, Hyd, used to to be vintage cars showroom earlier. Once I have seen engraved plate on
Austin 12hp distributed by Prabhakar & Co. distributor of Austin cars,
Secunderabad 1933.

I am sure these beautifies may have also some interesting stories.

Also do you know any other owners of Packards in Hyd. While I was in Grammer school, I used to see one big car opentop tourer Grey color belongs to Vazir Sultan family or Mustafa Alam family I don't remember now, that car looks like Packard.

Perhaps I suggest, we can have a separate thread for Dealers/Distributors names/short history of these vintages cars sold in India.

Regards,
Old 12th March 2008, 15:14   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Perhaps I suggest, we can have a separate thread for Dealers/Distributors names/short history of these vintages cars sold in India
Great Idea. We can all pitch in with pictures and tales making it a comprehensive record of who sold what. Adding to your suggestion we can title it Dealers/Distributors/Coachbuilders of Vintage/Classic cars in India, as some cars were assembled in India too

Over time I will relate all the stories about the family cars, as I scan pictures in.
Old 12th March 2008, 15:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
Here you go Awini. These were shot at last months rally, I found them at some link on the forum itself.
Attached Thumbnails
DKG's Collection-laselle01.jpg  

DKG's Collection-laselle02.jpg  

DKG's Collection-laselle03.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks