Senior - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here are some pictures of 60AL posted before:
The body style looks better than a boat-tail and will be more authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
I was informed that this was ex Rajpipla and exported in the 50s , it had a windowers limo body and chassis number 27 WR Cheers
Any idea where is 27WR?

Cheers harit
Old 20th February 2013, 18:46   #1802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The body style looks better than a boat-tail and will be more authentic

Any idea where is 27WR?

Cheers harit
It is in the U.K. Was on EBay July, 2012.
Old 1st March 2013, 15:40   #1803
sat
BHPian

Rolls Royce silver ghost in India

Has anyone seen the image of the Silver Ghost, chassis 94E, in shipping crate being towed by 6 oxen with Rolls Royce showroom in the background.
Old 1st March 2013, 16:38   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Has anyone seen the image of the Silver Ghost, chassis 94E, in shipping crate being towed by 6 oxen with Rolls Royce showroom in the background.
Please upload if you have one

Cheers
Old 1st March 2013, 18:58   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rolls Royce silver ghost in India

Quote:
Yes ofcourse, its even somewhere in this thread. BTW, that was where today we have Kemps Corner.

Cheers harit
Old 1st March 2013, 19:00   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rolls Royce silver ghost in India

Quote:
Chassis 94AE: Hooper Landaulette / Limousine, first owner Mohammed Bhay Rowjec)

Posted by me a looooong time ago (Post # 1223 on this thread):

Here is a 6 O.P. Silver Ghost. Did not realize that R-R cars in India depended on ox power and not horse power!

Source: The Autocar / The R-R Owner, 1963

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post1970359

Last edited by travancore : 1st March 2013 at 19:02.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 10:43   #1807
Senior - BHPian

This is the same place today. Chineese Room in Kwality House at Kemps Corner.

Cheers harit

Classic Rolls Royces in India-showroom.jpg

Where can I thank the moderator?):

Last edited by harit : 4th March 2013 at 11:09.
harit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 15:26   #1808
BHPian

Re: 3BU134 PIII Open Tourer

I am the current owner of 3BU134. The car is nearing completion of a complete overhaul by John Little in the UK. It is expected to be finished by the first of April and road tested during the first two weeks.

I live in Vienna, Austria. I have tried in vain to contact the current Maharaja of Kolhapur to see if he has any interest in the car, if only to see it. I am entertaining selling it, though I love it and don't need the money.

As you can see, the car is now red, which some have expressed dismay over, but many have admired, with a cream osterich embossed leather interior and a Lalique Masthead.

If all goes well, I will drive it up to the RREC-uk Annual Meet on April 6 and for the June annual rally as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan_pic0098.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan_pic0097.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-laliqueside.jpg  

jimmywalter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 16:25   #1809
BHPian

Some additional notes on 3BU134

The bonnet(hood in American), tops of the door and division are polished aluminum, not silver paint.

After I bought it in 2000, the car went to Tampa, Fl for two years. When I moved to Santa Barbara, CA, it came along and then in 2005 to Vienna, Austria where I live now.

Some claim that it is a cabriolet and not a tourer since it has a division and occasional seats. However, a cabriolet would have only two doors, roll down windows and no occasional seats, according to some. The windows on this car are stored behind the passenger seat and mounted by hand when needed. Photographs of the car were used in the 1937/38 Barker & Co. catalogue where they called it a tourer. On page 17 of this section this definition was given: “Tourer - American term for a four door convertible with conventional seating and removable side screens and folding tops.” Others on the same page used similar defintions without mentioning the occasional seats. So as to this part of the discussion, I will refer to the English master on the subject:
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - - that's all."
jimmywalter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 18:03   #1810
Senior - BHPian

It could also clasify as a Dual Cowl Phaeton as it appears to have twin windscreens !

Any idea when this crs left Indian and who were the other owners before you.

Your car has also featured in a movie as well !

Last edited by wasif : 6th March 2013 at 18:18.
Old 6th March 2013, 18:14   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It could also clasify as a Dual Cowl Phaeton as it appears to have twin windscreens !

Any idea when this crs left Indian and who were the other owners before you.
Here is an excerpt from Steve's magnum opus on the car:

"The car was sent back to England in 1971; who had used it for the 30 years between the death of the Maharaja and its export is not know. It carried English registration 5942DH when it first arrived."

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post919706

Jimmywalter - some more pictures (interior / side / rear) please!
Old 6th March 2013, 19:46   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmywalter View Post
Some additional notes on 3BU134

The bonnet(hood in American), tops of the door and division are polished aluminum, not silver paint.

After I bought it in 2000, the car went to Tampa, Fl for two years. When I moved to Santa Barbara, CA, it came along and then in 2005 to Vienna, Austria where I live now.

Some claim that it is a cabriolet and not a tourer since it has a division and occasional seats. However, a cabriolet would have only two doors, roll down windows and no occasional seats, according to some. The windows on this car are stored behind the passenger seat and mounted by hand when needed. Photographs of the car were used in the 1937/38 Barker & Co. catalogue where they called it a tourer. On page 17 of this section this definition was given: “Tourer - American term for a four door convertible with conventional seating and removable side screens and folding tops.” Others on the same page used similar defintions without mentioning the occasional seats. So as to this part of the discussion, I will refer to the English master on the subject:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - - that's all."
Can you provide a contact detail and more pics . Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 03:59   #1813
BHPian

3BU134 - a very elegant car. I call it a cabriolet because when I look at a description I know what it means (to me). I see a cabriolet as a four-door drophead with a division (with or without occasional seats). Nick Georgano in his fabulous volume The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile - coachbuilding describes a cabriolet as
"Originally a cabriolet was a 4-door, 4- or 6-light (ie side windows) drophead body with a division... Soon however the requirement for a division was dropped and it came to mean the same as an all-weather.... Later the requirement for four doors evaporated amd a cabriolet came to be synonymous with a drophead coupe."
For tourer he says "Always an open body with a collapsible hood, and usually having four or five seats. The feature which distinguishes it from a cabriolet or drophead coupe is that its side windows - if it has any at all - are in the form of lightweight detachable side-screens which can be removed and stored in a locker."
But as the owner says it doesn't really matter - it's a great car.
Mr Waletr - if you are at the RREC Rally let me know (email me at phantom3@bigpond.net.au) as I will be travelling from Australia to be there and I would like to catch up.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 07:18   #1814
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Rolls in their build sheet referred to GRO 59 a Gurney Nutting 25/30 with four door, four seater, open car with disappearing top as a Sports Cabriolet. So I suppose Steve's description is more apt.

Americans do use the Dual Cowl Phaeton tag to describe such a car. I suppose Phaetons would normally be four/five seater cars with side curtains and no winding windows. Usually the Tourer tag was for cars with auxiliary seats.

Most of the nomenclature found its way from carriages and was adapted to suit car body styles hence some confusion.

That aside Jimmy your car is such a handsome machine ! Thanks for sharing.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:51   #1815
BHPian

Some pages featuring the Maharaja Rolls Royces from the Royal Silver Jublee Souvenir - 1977.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-001.1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-002.1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-003.1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-004.1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-005.1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-006.1.jpg  

farhan_kidwai is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed