Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 22:38   #2011
BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Abbasi View Post
Two more twenties Rolls Royce cars from the Bahawalpur Motor Khana. The first is a photograph of a Barker Silver Ghost taken in Bahawalpur in 1924. The Viceroy, the Earl of Reading, and the Nawab of Bahawalpur are in the rear of the car. Could this be GAK 39?......
The RR Twenty GAK39 , Engine G 859 is a Barker tourer body with original owner shown as the raja of Sarangarh in John M Fasal's Book " The RR Twenty). As per my records Bahawalpur had only one RR Twenty Chassis 81K2 Barker tourer 1923. I do not think GAK was in BWP inventory . Having said that, everytime I think I have compiled a complete inventory for my book I find new cars and events in HH's life. I have been told of a photgraph in HH's London estate with the Nawab Sahib standing with his Bugattis and Alfa Romeos. Lets see.

The Silver car is almost for sure RR Silver Ghost 86CW.

As per my research for the book, it was the first Rolls Royce and the first car that the Nawab Sahib Sadiq Abbasi V bought on coming of age. In September 1922 he was 18 years old, a tall lean strapping young man, Knighted KCVO Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order & Prince of Wales visit Medal in the year 1922. He was to order three RR silver ghosts and a Twenty in 1923 : RRSG 41LK tourer, RR SG 42LM Cockshoot Barker Limousine, RR SG 82RM tourer, RR 20 81K2 Barker tourer which were delivered end 1923 to start 1924.

It must be understood by the readership that in those days, it was not easy to sell such expensive cars ( Approx Rs 30,000 each)and conversely when such a customer did arrive, there was a good chance of sale if there was a finished car available.

The yet unconfirmed account is the young nawab was visiting Delhi with courtiers and advisors and the families of British advisers and engineers of his state and needed a car fit for a future Nawab (HH was invested with ruling powers in March 1924 ) to travel around and 86CW was waiting for him to buy in the Delhi dealership, originally ordered for Malir Kotla but not picked up for unknown reasons. ( Similar fate happened to 76WJ, ordered by Maharaja Kasmir and not taken, languished in Bombay dealership till picked up by the Khan of Kalat). The time since off test, adding couple months for body erection by Barker, passage to India etc., the car would have languished in the showroom for a year and a half before being bought.

Secondly, it was not uncommon for the owners name on chassis cards to be changed to new one especially when cars were sent to RR UK for overhaul etc. like most of Bahawalpur cars were.
Third, the rulers of the state were normally referred by the state name only so the clerk at the dealership, would probably unsure if Bahawalpur was a Nawab or a Maharaja and took the easy guess of Maharaja.

Finally this car was taken to Arabia by charter ship "Rizwani" in 1935 with the entourage of the Nawab Sahib for Haj pilgrimage, along with 12 truck/lorries from the Nawab's Army and more significantly the Crossly hunting wagon by Barker for the Nawab to sleep in enroute, i.e in between camps if needed. This rare Crossley recently briefly in my charge for a restoration, and now with a new owner, became known as the Haj wagon.
Before the return of HH the Nawab, RR Silver Ghost 86CW was presented to the Kind of Saudi Arabia through the good offices of the Sharif of Makkah ( previously called Mecca) as gift from the Nawab who also purchased land and and built housing for pilgrims from India in Makkah.
I suppose the remains of 86CW could be preserved interred in the dry sands of Saudi Arabia even today
I am writing a book on the fascinating life and times of HH the Nawab and any info and pictures are welcome.
shyml is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 08:01   #2012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
The RR Twenty GAK39 , Engine G 859 is a Barker tourer body with original owner shown as the raja of Sarangarh in John M Fasal's Book " The RR Twenty). As per my records Bahawalpur had only one RR Twenty Chassis 81K2 Barker tourer 1923. I do not think GAK was in BWP inventory.
The Sarangarh car GAK39 survives in a Mumbai collection, albeit interestingly rebodied.
Old 14th June 2014, 13:46   #2013
BHPian

I have checked the chassiscard for #GAK39 and it says the chassis was delivered in March 1924. The complete car was delivered in May 1924 to Rolls-Royce Ltd. in Bombay finished in Oxford Blue with Blue crocodile leather. Sold and delivered to HH Raja Jawahir Singh Bahadur, ruling chief of Sarangarh State in February 1927 (!).
Boybentley is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 17:18   #2014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post

Finally this car was taken to Arabia by charter ship "Rizwani" in 1935 with the entourage of the Nawab Sahib for Haj pilgrimage, along with 12 truck/lorries from the Nawab's Army and more significantly the Crossly hunting wagon by Barker for the Nawab to sleep in enroute, i.e in between camps if needed. This rare Crossley recently briefly in my charge for a restoration, and now with a new owner, became known as the Haj wagon.
Thanks Shyml for your "personal" history of the Bahawalpur cars. It is much appreciated!

Here is a picture from possibly that Haj Pilgrimage. The Crossley is on the far left - identifiable by its "Cyclops" headlamp. Some of the other trucks are probably Morris Commercial 6-Wheelers. Too bad, 86CW is missing from the picture!

picture courtesy "Lords of Bahawalpur"

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bahawalpur-crossley-trucks-haj.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 14th June 2014 at 17:20.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 18:02   #2015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Sarangarh car GAK39 survives in a Mumbai collection, albeit interestingly rebodied.
Sorry about the back-to-back posts.

Here is GAK39 in its new Avatar, the picture was posted many moons ago.
Wonder if the esteemed owner has any "as found" or original body pictures to share ?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-sarangarh-gak39-1924-barker-tourer-raja-sarangarh.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 15:41   #2016

I wouldn't be surprised if a Rolls was moved to Saudi Arabia along with the other vehicles, as on arrival the Nawab of Bahawalpur had a Saudi General, Hamdi Bey, attached to the his staff and he met with H.M. King Abdul Aziz Ibn-i-Saud, the Heir Apparent Prince Saud and Prince Faisal, who was then Viceroy of Hedjaz.
I have an image and some information about the Bahawalpur Crossley, BWP 105, for your web-site.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-11.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image0406.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image0407.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image0408.jpg  

F Abbasi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 23:15   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Sorry about the back-to-back posts.

Here is GAK39 in its new Avatar, the picture was posted many moons ago.
Wonder if the esteemed owner has any "as found" or original body pictures to share ?

Attachment 1250028
make it go away please, it's making me weep
Old 16th June 2014, 01:31   #2018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if a Rolls was moved to Saudi Arabia along with the other vehicles, as on arrival the Nawab of Bahawalpur had a Saudi General, Hamdi Bey, attached to the his staff and he met with H.M. King Abdul Aziz Ibn-i-Saud, the Heir Apparent Prince Saud and Prince Faisal, who was then Viceroy of Hedjaz.
I have an image and some information about the Bahawalpur Crossley, BWP 105, for your web-site.
Thank you so much. It is amazing that these pieces of automotive history (vehicle & documentation) have withstood the ravages of time.

The Crossley was very well covered and described in many period car magazines.

Below is a period photo. Note the "tracks" stored at the center of the spare - to be laid out to traverse muddy terrain.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bahawalpur-crossley-6-wheeler.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 16th June 2014 at 01:48.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 18:58   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if a Rolls was moved to Saudi Arabia along with the other vehicles, as on arrival the Nawab of Bahawalpur ...I have an image and some information about the Bahawalpur Crossley, BWP 105, for your web-site.
Thanks for the great period documentation, very useful to my research. Abbasi Sahib is requested to please post information and documents regarding the Bahawalpur Packard 740 1929-30 and the V-16 Cadillac if possible.
Old 18th June 2014, 17:26   #2020
BHPian

This 1926 Indian delivered Rolls-Royce Twenty (#GYK85) Barker 3/4 Cabriolet de Ville is currently offered for sale in the UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-gyk85barker1.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 13:03   #2021
Distinguished - BHPian

Amongst other high end cars we see this Silver Ghost used for Lady Irwin's visit - can we identify which one?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-irwin01.jpg

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 17:32   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Amongst other high end cars we see this Silver Ghost used for Lady Irwin's visit - can we identify which one?

Attachment 1251974

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=s3C1SbpQS9E

It is the Mysore SG 21PP. Barker Cabriolet.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 16:02   #2023

ROLLS ROYCES AT WORK
1. Bahawalpur 97 in the use of the Viceroy, Lord Linlithgow, Bahawalpur, 1939.
2. Bahawalpur 73, 31, 28, and 97 at a Durbar in Bahawalpur.193?.
3. Bahawalpur 31and other Rolls Royce cars lined up for the rulers of Kapurthala, Pataudi, Bahawalpur, Faridkot and the Heir Apparent of Bahawalpur, departing after attending a garden party at Sadiq Garh Palace, Bahawalpur, 1945.
4. On the August 14 1947 Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah, and the Viceroy, Lord Mountbatten, rode from the Constituent Assembly in Karachi in Bahawalpur 31, a second Rolls, Bahawalpur 28, was used by Mohtarma Fatima Jinnah, the Quaid's sister, and Lady Mountbatten.
5. Bahawalpur 73 was one of the cars used by King Faisal II of Iraq on a visit to Bahawalpur in 1954, here seen with the Nawab of Bahawalpur taking the salute presented by the Amir's Janisari Bodyguard at Sadiq Garh Palace, Bahawalpur.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-3.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-4.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-5.jpg  

F Abbasi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 04:37   #2024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
The fabulous Bhopal PIII (3BU86) is soon up for grabs. Any takers ?

I wished I could! What a magnificent car!

Many unusual views of this splendid car here:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2191...w_lot/4700951/

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhopal-rr-piii-3bu86-bonhams-2014-top.jpg
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 08:11   #2025
Distinguished - BHPian

A 2004 interpretation of the Nizam's Silver Ghost

Classic Rolls Royces in India-brunei-rr.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed